Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Severn Class Lifeboat  (Read 5374 times)

Garabaldy

Severn Class Lifeboat
« on: April 29, 2008, 12:36:11 pm »

Hi, this is my first post here so be gentle.....  I was actually advised by some one from the rcgroups forum to ask my questions here.

Im going to be building the 1/12 speedline severn class lifeboat in the very near future and im just doing some research and sourcing parts for it.  Im looking for a bit of guidance with the propulsion system.  I have seen the set up on www.philsrcmodels.co.uk which i do like but its pricey and was looking into other possibilities.  Im aiming for the model to achieve scale speed without any difficulty and still have throttle left just for fun/showing off.  Has anyone else here built this or a similar model?  All guidance with this will be hugely appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Gary

J.beazley

• Full Mayhemer
  • The building never ends
Re: Severn Class Lifeboat
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2008, 12:52:11 pm »

Welcome to the forum.

You may want to have a word with Adrian Gosling from Speedline models as he produces this kit aswell and may be able to help.
Will hunt for his details and send them over.

Edit: www.speedline-models.com

Jay
1:48th scale for my ships. Large enough to show gratuitous detail, small enough to stay married.

Garabaldy

« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2008, 01:08:12 pm »

sorry i wasnt 100% clear there.  It is the speedline kit i will be building.  I have sent adrian an e-mail and he recommends the scooter motor as on www.philsrcmodels.co.uk but i just want to explore other possibilities aswell because its a good way of learning and theres no harm in it  :)

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2008, 01:09:59 pm »

You could ask Adrian if he can recommend a cheaper setup.
The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

rem2007

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2008, 03:44:20 pm »

Did you see the kit review in Model Boats last Dec. It was their winter Kit Special issue and Terry Small does an excellent build and review for the Speedline kit with loads of good photos. I have  copy and could scan the article for you. Or alternatively, it is on their webpage if you subscribe.
Robert

Garabaldy

« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2008, 05:12:25 pm »

Unfortunatly im not subscribed.  If you were able to do that for me that would be really appreciated.  I notice theres a photo of his built severn on the speedline models site.  It looks excellent!

johno 52-11

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model lifeboats built to perform
    • lifeboat Models
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2008, 12:03:16 am »

Have a look at this site www.lifeboatmodels.co.uk the Severn is not a speedline but it is the same size.

Garabaldy

« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2008, 12:33:04 am »

Thanks everyone.  Ive been having a look at the Bosch website.

How does this look? http://www.boschmotorsandcontrols.co.uk/elektromotoren/produkt/0130110005/index.htm

Guy Bagley

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2008, 09:44:09 am »

PHIL IS THE CHAIRMAN OF OUR CLUB, WHICH MEANS I GET TO SAIL WITH HIM AND HIS WASH  MOST WEEKENDS !-
 THE MOTOR SET UP MAY SEEM EXPENSIVE BUT YOU MUST SEE THIS BOAT IN OPERATION. I WOULD HONESTLY SAY THE SET UP IS PERFECT FOR THIS SIZE/ TYPE OF BOAT....
 -YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR..... ITS IMPRESSIVE TO SEE A MODEL GET UP AND PERFORM AS IT SHOULD...

I HAVE SEEN OTHERS TRY AND REPLICATE THIS PERFORMANCE  WITH OTHER SET UPS BUT SEVERAL HAVE ENDED UP REMOVING THE FIRST SET UP AND GOING FOR THE SCOOTER MOTORS IN THE END ANYWAY....

all in all its just another brick in the wall......

johno 52-11

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model lifeboats built to perform
    • lifeboat Models
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2008, 05:33:13 pm »

Thanks everyone.  Ive been having a look at the Bosch website.

How does this look? http://www.boschmotorsandcontrols.co.uk/elektromotoren/produkt/0130110005/index.htm

Hi Gary

I think you will find that these motors at 50W would not be suitable for a 1/12 Severn. What you have to understand is that it requires a lot of power to push a 25Kg boat at 7.2 knots which is the scale speed of a Severn. How Phil achieved this and how my friend Robert achieved it are different in some ways but both have a setup that will drive a scale 75mm prop to get the performance needed ask anyone who was at the Modelboat Mayhem show last year we had 3 Sevens on the Saturday all Performing at scale speed. Another way to go could be like Lifeboat Paul and his Brushless Arunhttp://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=9830.0 That is going far in excess of the scale speed for an Arun but the Arun is a lighter boat.

nhp651

« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2008, 08:56:48 pm »

Can I just make one rather simple point.
If you are going to the expense of buying such a beautiful model, you want it to behave in the correct manner. What then is the problem in buying the motors that suit. As expensive as the set up may be, anything else would be second best and at the least very disappointing.Go for it, and hang the expense.
Either that or sell your wife into white slavery. :D

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2008, 09:08:59 pm »

I assume you want it to look like this (Mayhem 2007)

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.083 seconds with 22 queries.