Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: ACTion P94 - twin speed controllers/mixer  (Read 8803 times)

Shipmate60

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • You bark - I will bite!!!
ACTion P94 - twin speed controllers/mixer
« on: May 14, 2008, 11:23:54 am »

I got my ACTion P94 twin speed controllers/mixer unit yesterday.
Cut out the case last night and read the instructions, yes I do actually read them!!
Jury rigged it up this morning using an ACTion P92 3-Motor "Shipmate 60/3" Version.
A distribution board Dave made for my 3 motor set up to fuse each circuit independently.
Switched on radio, switched on power to the P92, the motors gave a little kick then stopped.
Moved throttle stick forward to check motor rotation and both going ahead.
Run her up ahead and astern a few times, all OK.
Used the rudder with no throttle and the props worked through the mixer perfectly.
Added throttle and tried the rudder, all as should be.

The beauty of this unit is it is physically the same size as 1 Speed Controller but has 2 and a mixer.
Although space isn't at a premium in my 10 1/2 foot long Cruiser!!

Well worth the wait a superb piece of kit.
And if you prefer a BEC system to power your radio the P92 has this too.

Well Done Dave superb piece of kit.

Bob

Topic name changed - Martin
Officially a GOG.

barryfoote

Re: ACTion P94
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2008, 12:53:25 pm »

Naffed me off now Shipmate.....waiting for mine to arrive.... >>:-( >>:-( >>:-(

Spanish post is rubbish.. >>:-( >>:-(

may getb it next week.. >>:-( >>:-(

I thought Dave would have delivered mine personally :D :D

Glad all is well though...

Dave Buckingham

« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2008, 01:37:38 pm »

Hi All and Fooski
I have mine and agree with Bob a good piece of kit

Footski good things come to those who wait

Thanks Dave

Dave B

Shipmate60

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2008, 05:48:46 pm »

Hi Footski,
All hard wired in and fully functional on all 3 shafts.
Just to whet your appetite here are a couple of pics for you.

Bob
Officially a GOG.

barryfoote

« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2008, 07:13:44 pm »

Thanks Shipmate,

More confused than ever now.......I have a P92 so should not have too much difficulty in getting it up and running.....Mind you as I am about to start the hull painting it may have to wait a while before I can set it up...(That gives you, Dave Buckingham and anyone else time to make the mistakes though ha ah :D :D

Shipmate60

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2008, 07:33:38 pm »

Mistakes,
Just follow the instructions and it does exactly what it says on the tin.
Not even any setting up, switch on and away it goes.

Bob
Officially a GOG.

Dave Buckingham

« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2008, 09:37:17 pm »

Bob and Footski
Bob have been tryining a mock up with the units in varius positions your idea of having them side by side is the best for wire runs so far also the double fuse on the output side fits this layout.

First thought was line ahead but the wire runs were very poor.
It was suggested one above the other but could not get at the various connections and fuses etc.

Footski ye of little faith
Dave

Shipmate60

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2008, 09:42:13 pm »

Dave,
Not one above the other as this will make the upper one warmer from the heat from the heat sinks on the lower one.
I was a bit stuck for room as I wanter to get to all the screws and the shape of the deck cut out restricted this.
With 3 motors it is very awkward to get the wiring neat and accessable so I compromised.
It works and is accessable, so does what I want it to.

Bob
Officially a GOG.

wombat

• Full Mayhemer
  • The view from the shallow end of the gene pool
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2008, 10:03:22 pm »

Hopefully it should not get too hot - typical dissipation should be about 5 Watts per heatsink for 20A per side....

The effect of convection from one heatsink to another should not be too bad if it is mounted on the side - probably not noticeable. If you have problems with room, you can always bend the tabs - remove them from the transistors first though.

Look on the Gry Maritha thread for shots of how I have installed it.

Wom
The prat in the hat - www.floatingwombat.me.uk - Have look & say Hi

Shipmate60

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2008, 10:18:50 am »

Officially a GOG.

justboatonic

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2008, 09:41:01 pm »

Got my P94 and Distribution Board the other day. Have mounted it on the board and will install in Drumbeat sometime tomorrow, Cup Final permitting!

Looks a great unit and since its 2 ESC & Mixer in one, there's a lot more free space in Drumbeat now. Noticed the comment about bending the heatsinks on the P94, is that right they can be bent? I probably better not try that else Dave will be after me!  >>:-(  {-)

All going well and should be able to get Drumbeat in the water on late Bank Holiday weekend!

wombat

• Full Mayhemer
  • The view from the shallow end of the gene pool
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2008, 10:00:19 am »

Well, confirm with Dave at ACTion, but as long as you keep the area where the main transistors mount (the bottom 20mm) absolutely flat the heatsinking will noty be affected. Always ensure that the back face of the transistors are flat to the heatsink without any gaps.

Wom
The prat in the hat - www.floatingwombat.me.uk - Have look & say Hi

FullLeatherJacket

« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2008, 12:23:57 pm »

Got my P94 and Distribution Board the other day. Have mounted it on the board and will install in Drumbeat sometime tomorrow, Cup Final permitting!
Noticed the comment about bending the heatsinks on the P94, is that right they can be bent?

JBT
Those puppies are very high-grade ali and probably won't bend very easily without breaking them. If you do snap one then bear in mind that they cost US £1.08 each, and we have to buy 500 at a time to get them at that price! Rather plan your installation to keep them upright and clear of any other units or power wiring. Drum is quite a deep hull so you shouldn't have much trouble.
FLJ

barryfoote

« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2008, 08:31:16 am »

Here I am sat sitting here, reading up on Mayhem and my neighbour has just disturbed me......Brought me a little yellow slip, which tells me the post office has a parcel for me......Got to go get it....quickly as the office shuts at 10.00am.....P94 has arrived......YIPPEE :D :D

barryfoote

« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2008, 09:07:25 am »

Right then   20 minutes later and I am back with my magic box and yes it does look an impressive piece of kit. Going to spend the day reading the destructions and doing a mock assembly......Can't install as am in the middle of hull painting....

Welsh_Druid

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: May 20, 2008, 08:52:49 am »

Here is a video of her at sea. Using the mixer.

Bob

Bob

thats very impressive - how long is the model ? Is it using the rudders as well as the mixer ?

I ask as I am about to install one in a model 64 inches long with very small rudders.

Don

Shipmate60

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
Re: ACTion P94 - twin speed controllers/mixer
« Reply #16 on: May 20, 2008, 09:01:24 am »

Don,
She is a tad over 10 foot long.
Slightly different as she has 3 shafts, but with no throttle the centre shaft stays stopped.
She only has a single rudder, but as she isnt ballasted you can see the propwash by using just the rudder stick.

Bob
Officially a GOG.

barryfoote

« Reply #17 on: May 22, 2008, 05:09:06 pm »

Well the P94 does do exactly what it says on the tin. Simple to set up and off it goes doing its magic.......mind you....have to water test it yet, which should be done in the next day or so......well done to Action....so far he he he ::)

John W E

• I see no ships !!
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #18 on: May 22, 2008, 05:44:55 pm »

hi there Bob (Shipmate60)

I watched your video of the Sea Trials using the rudder mixer and I noted that you brought the model to a standstill before you actually operated the 'mixing unit' What I was hoping to see was the operation of the unit whilst the model was under way.   This is of particular interest to me - because she is 3-propped and therefore in theory she should be influenced on one turn more than the other, due to the fact of having 2 props rotate in the same direction.   Unless of course this new mixer has the facility built in where the centre motor reduced in RPM, or comes to a standstill whilst you operate the rudder mixer - to prevent the centre motor influencing the turn.

Be interesting to hear what the outcome is.

aye
John E
Bluebird
Knowledge begins with respect
But fools hate wisdom and discipline

Shipmate60

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #19 on: May 22, 2008, 11:41:33 pm »

John,
Unfortunately I cant answer that question yet.
As I was taking video she was being operated by Jay Beazley.
But in the short time I did have her on longer turns I tended to use full throttle and only half rudder so as to stop the inner shaft.
I didnt notice any difference, but it was a large turn and with 3 shafts I wouldnt expect to see much of a difference in such a large model.

Bob
Officially a GOG.

FullLeatherJacket

« Reply #20 on: May 23, 2008, 12:06:23 pm »

Just to clarify things, the "third ESC" connection on the P94 (as with the P40) is a straight-through connection to the Rx. As such, the signal to it is not changed by the mixing software in any degree. Along with the "Steering Servo" header pins, it's there to save the user having to purchase Y-leads for the rudder servo and a central unmixed motor ESC.

A simple update of the software would not make the thing do what Bluebird requires, and we've no plans to design what would be a completely different product in order to satisfy what I estimate would be a very small market (population currently one!). The only way of slowing down the centre motor is by backing off the throttle stick; that's it; take it or leave it; suit yourself etc.

By the way, I've made two examples of a 'low-profile + 10A per ESC' version for Big H and Rob Davies. This uses lower-current MOSFETs and consequently has no heat-sinks sticking up out of the case. Rob and Harry are using Speed 400 and 385 motors respectively so they don't need the Full Monty 20A job. If anyone is interested in one of these then please PM or give me a ring.

FLJ

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #21 on: May 23, 2008, 01:08:31 pm »

Now you tell me  >>:-( ;)
Richard Solent Radio Controlled Model Boat Club http://www.srcmbc.org.uk

Shipmate60

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #22 on: May 23, 2008, 09:17:02 pm »

Bluebird,
That is exactly what I don't want to happen.
With the centre prop acting directly on the rudder I certainly don't want it slowing down.
I want the propwash over the rudder and the inner shaft stopped when running ahead.
In my opinion the inner shaft stopping and the outer shaft running with the centre shaft this should well compensate for the reduction of rudder angle used to turn her.
When ballasted I just cant see any prop"walk" on a model this size and weight.
And there aren't many 3 shaft smaller models around.
But even on a smaller, lighter model I don't think the difference will be noticeable as a touch more rudder and the inner shaft will start to run astern. This alone should compensate for any prop "walk".

Bob
Officially a GOG.

col426

« Reply #23 on: May 30, 2008, 06:21:29 am »

I've just had a parts kit of one of FLJ's (and Wombat's) P94s turn up in the mail all the way out here in Australia, along with some other items.  It looks like my weekend is set! 

Now I suppose you'll want comments about how the kit versions go together!  If it's like other kits by ACTion that I have completed, it should be fairly straight forward to complete.  I'm looking forward to it!

Phillip

Hagar

« Reply #24 on: August 07, 2008, 06:16:57 pm »

can a P94 be configured to run to motors "tank style" on a single stick, or do you have to run it on to sticks.
I have a futaba 4ch with throttle on the left which is a ratchet stick. I have rudder on the same stick, so i can sail one handed if needs be, (got to have a free hand to hold me coffee cup!)

All the diagrams I have seen on thier website, use both sticks and I do not want to do that as I have other functions on the right hand stick.. (and holding me coffee).
What is needed is stick forward = boat forward. Stick back= boat back. forward and left turn or spin left, etc.etc. The boat will have NO RUDDER as all stearing will be via motor direction. (water pumps).

Must say that Action looks like they make some good kit, just got to figur out if I can use it the way i need it to work.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.102 seconds with 22 queries.