Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5]   Go Down

Author Topic: Fairey Huntsman Power  (Read 49456 times)

RamJam

Re: Fairey Huntsman Power
« Reply #100 on: April 03, 2009, 01:19:08 pm »

The thread is a bit old but the title is appropriate - So here goes - I have had a Precedent Huntsman kit in the loft for the last 15 years or more and now my Grandsons are getting older, I have the perfect excuse to spend time building the boat.
It is the large 46" fibreglass hull version and I bought it 2nd hand and unstarted with 2 x MFA 850 torpedo motors.
I would like to keep the twin motor configuration, but having read this thread and others relating to motor choice verses speed and duration, I wonder if the 850's might be overkill and while they will probably deliver planing performance I am not sure about the duration with NiMh batteries ...

Any advice greatfully received ..

RamJam

« Reply #101 on: April 08, 2009, 08:25:39 am »

Decided to go the twin Darke Horse 700 route as there were 2 selling on FleaBay for £11.95 each ...

Peter Fitness

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #102 on: April 08, 2009, 10:47:20 pm »

The Darke Horse 700s are dearer over there than here. I bought 2 from John Darke direct for A$20 each, about 8 pounds stg.

Peter.

Barry Boy

« Reply #103 on: May 29, 2009, 12:55:59 am »

Hey Guys
I am running my big Huntsman on 2 Darke Horse motors with 16 cells per motor with gearboxes and was so impressed with them I have now fitted 2 of them to my Perkasa
Running 24 cells per motor and the new Action P98 speed controllers the battery pack alone weighs over 7lbs and it still gets up on plane
Have a look on YOU TUBE and watch it go   

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6l7efHzg-Ig

Regard's
Steve J.

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #104 on: May 29, 2009, 12:01:18 pm »

Very nice Steve but those gearboxes are noisy.
Richard Solent Radio Controlled Model Boat Club http://www.srcmbc.org.uk

Barry Boy

« Reply #105 on: May 29, 2009, 10:58:04 pm »

Noisey maybe but when the JJC gas turbine sound is added to it the noise from the gearboxes can only compliment it heh heh!!!

CHWk7

« Reply #106 on: June 21, 2009, 06:33:09 pm »

Hi Guys, thought you all might like to see my solution to this post title. Running 2x Irvine 61's Rear Exhausts with a sync system to lock both engines together from tick over. She looks just like the real thing when under way but you do need a large stretch of water for max speed and you have to throttle back from high speed to make the turns. Boat is not a kit but is scratch built off the oringinal Modav plans using marine ply and skinned in aircraft ply at 1.2mm.

CHWk7

« Reply #107 on: June 21, 2009, 07:15:36 pm »

Had trouble uploading images but this seems to work, advice on this would be gratefully received!!!

Photos sort. See: http://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=16854.msg168401#msg168401 Admin.

red181

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #108 on: June 26, 2009, 11:15:08 pm »

would be nice to see a video of boat running :-))
nice pics, bet it goes well, I like your window frames, did you do them yourself?

Martin [Admin]

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #109 on: June 27, 2009, 12:26:31 am »

Impressive CHWk7, very impressive!

Can you give details of the setup, contra rotating? What's the extra circuit board?

Video please!   :-))
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

CHWk7

« Reply #110 on: June 27, 2009, 06:27:41 pm »

The circuit board you can see "not the LED one" is the twin sync system, there are hall effect sensors on both engines with two magnets mounted in the rim of both flywheels. Only one magnet is used per flywheel but I drilled and mounted two per flywheel to keep the dynamic balance correct, engines are also rubber mounted.The LED board is in fact a rev counter which displayed each engine RPM in quick succession.
Windows are 1.2mm ply covered with aluminum tape and the clear plastic sheet has been silconed in to give a water tight seal. If I was doing this again I would use Ali sheet and bolt through just as the real craft. That's is what I will do with a 54inch Huntsman 28 I am building.
Props are not counter rotating, marine silencers live under the engines and are homemade. Boat is very quiet but you have that wonderful sound of twin engines in sync and she looks just like the real thing when underway. The bad news is that I don't have any video footage as I don't own a video camera but will try and find one or some one with one the next time I run.
I also have a 1/8 scale Bluebird K7 with Wren 54 Gas Turbine under constrution, that will need good flat calm conditions unlike the Huntsman which does tend to chew the water up after 20Min's or so!!
Glad you like it.

Regards, Chris Wright   
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5]   Go Up

Page created in 0.096 seconds with 21 queries.