Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Fairey Huntsman Power  (Read 49465 times)

banjo

Re: Fairey Huntsman Power
« Reply #75 on: June 05, 2008, 11:11:38 am »

O0
You are doing well with that sort of duration.
I had my Huntsman on the pond yesterday, its a 34", and got a running time of about 20 minutes on a 8.4V 4300 battery.  Thats pushing a 8.4V Graupner 700 BB Turbo.

:)

red181

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #76 on: June 06, 2008, 01:46:22 pm »

Hi Alistair, Have you got any video of running with the lead acid? I cannot make mine perform without nimh's, curremtly flipping betweem 2 x 8.4v 3300 and 2 x 9.6v 4600, planing for about 25 mins. I tried a 12v lead acid, but after 5 mins it was tug boat speed, but would have lasted ages. By X55 prop, does that mean 55mm?

Re window frames, I did a template of paper, then transposed that to plasticcard, stuck the perspex on the frame as window, then stuck it to the boat. I then used small aluminium rivets (very difficult to get!) but dressmakers pins are similar, again glued in through pilot holes. Very time consuming, but look ok, if anything they are a littler big. I painted it in humbrol steel, and buffed it up a bit with a cloth.
Cannot work out how to do the air scoop thing, any ideas here (sorry to piggyback the thread) perhaps alaistair you could start a new thread?
Paul

banjo

« Reply #77 on: June 06, 2008, 02:00:11 pm »

:)
For scoops... think about the shape of a spoon.....

then find and butcher some old ones....

Stavros

« Reply #78 on: June 06, 2008, 05:53:55 pm »

Right - so a smaller prop means more revs which generates the same thrust as a bigger prop running slowly. BUT the smaller prop means less current draw which should mean a cooler motor AND longer battery life.

Presumably there is an optimum prop size which I'll have to work out through experimentation. My gut instinct is that a slightly bigger two blade prop would be better. The one under the boat at present looks too small  but I don't want to go too big - 50mm perhaps.

Phil

See My earlier posting on prop size which I did reccomend to you,have a sea queen on a 55mm with an 850 with no trouble at all

stavros

banjo

« Reply #79 on: June 06, 2008, 07:15:10 pm »

O0
Stavros

Glad to see you know more about props and motors than radio controlling dustbins....

Stavros

« Reply #80 on: June 06, 2008, 10:46:56 pm »

OOOOOOOHHHHHH O0

Stavros

Alastair_I

« Reply #81 on: June 15, 2008, 02:05:33 pm »

Hi Alistair, Have you got any video of running with the lead acid? I cannot make mine perform without nimh's, curremtly flipping betweem 2 x 8.4v 3300 and 2 x 9.6v 4600, planing for about 25 mins. I tried a 12v lead acid, but after 5 mins it was tug boat speed, but would have lasted ages. By X55 prop, does that mean 55mm?

Re window frames, I did a template of paper, then transposed that to plasticcard, stuck the perspex on the frame as window, then stuck it to the boat. I then used small aluminium rivets (very difficult to get!) but dressmakers pins are similar, again glued in through pilot holes. Very time consuming, but look ok, if anything they are a littler big. I painted it in humbrol steel, and buffed it up a bit with a cloth.
Cannot work out how to do the air scoop thing, any ideas here (sorry to piggyback the thread) perhaps alaistair you could start a new thread?
Paul

I was all set ready with camcorder and tripod with me this morning, got her out and planing round to where the electric guys are (less weed launching by the sailing crowd).. when ..  dead in the water.  I'd maybe been running with her flat-out for 3 or 4 minutes.  Typical.. not a tug available this morning and she drifted beyond wading distance so it was a paddle out on the rescue boat.  Looks like the 15A fuse blew, but I'll get a tester on it later, no power to the ESC and an opaque bubble in the fuse.

It takes full power to plane with this motor/battery combination.  If you wanted outright performance I think you'd need the NiCads, but the Lead Acid is fine for a brief plane and cruise.

On the airscoops.. I've found someone that does stainless steel air-intake scoops for fast nitroboats.. going to see if he can produce a modified one for the Huntsman.  I wonder if he would also have the facilities to do the window frames if provided with templates..

Al

pomybill

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #82 on: June 19, 2008, 08:09:08 am »

My oppo in Australia has sent me some very interesting motors for testing. Here's one of them:

John's blurb says:
"700 3:1 Planetary (Actual ratio 3.3:1)
6v = 2120 RPM
12v = 4240 RPM
24v = 8480 RPM
33v = 11,600 RPM
Under load they don't drop RPM very much.
They absolutely love 33+V on a 55mm 3 blade brass prop (Type A Raboesch; FLJ)....two of these get a large 49" - 50" model (Large Perkasa/Huntsman size; average weight 13-14 Kg) up close to 30kph with no more than a 20A fuse in each motor circuit"

As you can see, everything is water-cooled and the gearbox has a separate lubrication spout. This is the way the Aussies do it, chaps - LOTS of volts. Anyone for a barbied 'roo?

FLJ  8)

pomybill

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #83 on: June 23, 2008, 12:13:00 am »

Hi FLJ and other interested parties.
I have been in touch with John Darke the gentelman with "The Motors" and are they powerful! He is a most affable person to speak to and is full of very very good advice.
I have ordered two items from him (only small items) and eagerly await them arriving.
He has a very good catalogue and this can be obtained from him via Snail mail for those here in Aussie at;-

Darke's Enterprises P/L.
824 Kingston Rd.
Loganlea.
Qld 4131 
Phone 0419142192.
Fax 0738056038
e-mail   jdarke@optusnet.com.au     
I hope this is helpful and helps other modelers here in Aussie and maybe some offshore modelers who find it difficult to obtain parts and acsserories.
Regards Pomybill.
(I asked John's permission to post this and he said yes)

Peter Fitness

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #84 on: June 25, 2008, 01:31:27 am »

Pomybill, I second your comments re John Darke. He visits our club in Ballina NSW, whenever we hold our Hobby Expos or regattas, bringing his beautifully set up sales trailer with him. He carries a great range of motors and related equipment, as well as general model boating supplies, and is full of information which he readily shares with anyone interested. His motors, sold under the Darke Horse brand, are excellent value for money, and are great performers.
Peter.

mndsw

« Reply #85 on: July 31, 2008, 10:33:42 pm »

Hello everyone,
I've read this thread with interest. Although I dont have a Huntsman, I do have a similar 48" long hull on my boat. The way the propshafts and motor mounts are epoxied in place gives me little choice in what motors I use. Its now using two Graupner 700 turbo 9.6v motors with an electronize 30 amp speed controller. The props are brass three bladed 36mm (?) I use a 12v gel cell to run it. I want to replace this heavy battery with something else. What do you suggest.
Any thoughts would be welcome.
Thanks,
Chris.

debssnal

« Reply #86 on: August 08, 2008, 12:36:28 pm »

hi,
you could try a tornado thumper 4250 brushless motor. power out put 720 watts.you can get 60amp boat esc from ebay for arould £30.00
the motor cost is £29.99 from over-tec
the motor is 96% efficient
720 watts is just under 1HP
600KV
you can run them on lead batterys ok and you can run the motor on 24volt
also you can use a lager prop
mfa 850 157watts   700bb around the same but only around 65% efficient
if you need more info you can email me

kind regrads
Alan

offshore1987

« Reply #87 on: August 16, 2008, 08:41:36 pm »

Well, the boat has been up on the plane ! 850 motor, big prop and the biggest Electronize speed control did the job.

The only problem was I had smoke coming off the motor afer 10 minutes ! I suspect the prop is too big as replacement with the original 2 blade version seemed to make things better. Anyone want to explain why a 2 blade give me as much speed as a 4 blade ?

More on my blog: philsworkbench.blogspot.com/2008/06/fairey-planes.html - and you might enjoy the Bouncing Betty stuff as well (don't worry, it's safe for work)

Phil O0

The linked vid on that blog is it flat out?  ??? :-\  it should be going way faster lol

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #88 on: August 16, 2008, 09:00:36 pm »

Tend to agree with offshore, way to slow, more like a Thames cruiser and definitely not on the plane. :-\
Richard Solent Radio Controlled Model Boat Club http://www.srcmbc.org.uk

offshore1987

« Reply #89 on: August 16, 2008, 09:55:46 pm »

Indeed  ???

Iv got the swordsman 2 ( i think its called ) with the 850 motor stock everything, and it runs about the same if not a tad faster than yours and thats with me runnin it on 6v  :o with a 12v it really plods along. I was usein it today in the sea ( il upload a pic of what she looks like ) I would guess yours if the same weight and same kinda hull ( i need a new 12v batt though as mine is totally naffed out )

I might be back down there again tomorrow if so il get some vid of her

offshore1987

« Reply #90 on: August 16, 2008, 10:42:50 pm »

The boat

The sea

The 6v SPEED  :D

^ Thats against the tide going out too lol ( its running the stock prop or if it didnt come with a prop then i duno lol ) i cant remember if it come with a prop when i built it, but it has a 2 blader

Runnin on lead acid ( a big 6v not a little light one )

All the best

P.S i dont use water cooling either

red181

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #91 on: August 23, 2008, 12:47:50 am »

Hi offshore, I think phils huntsman is way heavier than yours, which looks like its fibreglass? Phil has an original ply construction, as I have, and it is a very heavy boat.
Looks nice to be sailing in the sea, I would like to try this, but worried about the damage salt water would do to all the ply and chrome fittings!
Chuck a  nimh at the max volts your motor will take and the performance will be a dramatic difference (but less run time) lead acid batteries will not deliver the fast speed to get these boats successfully on the plane, thats why the racing guys dont use them, plus the extra weight of a lead acid O0

Barry Boy

« Reply #92 on: August 24, 2008, 05:48:03 pm »

I have 2 of them Johnson Darke horse motors with 2-1 reduction boxes and 50mm Standard 3 blade brass props from PROP SHOP
fitted in my 46" fi-glass Huntsman running 16 cells per motor and I can tell it certainly gives you the "grin factor"as far as speed goes
with around 25/30 mins duration flat out
But you don't have to be flat out to get it up on the plane either

kris1

« Reply #93 on: September 21, 2008, 11:52:14 pm »

hi,
you could try a tornado thumper 4250 brushless motor. power out put 720 watts.you can get 60amp boat esc from ebay for arould £30.00
the motor cost is £29.99 from over-tec
the motor is 96% efficient
720 watts is just under 1HP
600KV
you can run them on lead batterys ok and you can run the motor on 24volt
also you can use a lager prop
mfa 850 157watts   700bb around the same but only around 65% efficient
if you need more info you can email me

kind regrads
Alan

Hi Alan this is really interesting.  I have just acquired a wood 47” huntsman.  I want electric due to lack of IC friendly boating areas around here.  I fly model planes.  Mainly electric, these run on motors from Hacker Hyperion, neu power, and kontroniks.   I run lipos and use anything from 3S 1800 up to 5S 3700.  My hotliner with the neu power in it draws over 200A off a 5S pack for over 2.5KW!!!  3 second motor burn will see the plane to cloud level!!!

It would be good to use these packs in the huntsman.   So if I was to use a similar motor to the thumper you talk of, what prop should I use?  I have a spare hyperion 4020-12 (660KV) and 2025-10 (560KV).  I know I can run these on 14 x 7” props on a plane and they will draw 70A off a 5S pack for 1100W.  They will give approx 8mins flights of aggressive aerobatics, not always flat out.  If I was to use these in the huntsman on the 5S 3700 (18.5V) what prop should I use and what sort of current draw should I expect?  I am looking for good cruising/planning performance, not mega speed, but enough to see the boat hull on step and out of the water

Cheers

Kris

David_S

« Reply #94 on: September 22, 2008, 06:54:14 am »

I used to run a Veron Fast Patrol Boat (all-wood, 52") on a single MFA Marlin motor, not sure if they are still around. The speed looked about right for scale (certainly on the plane) and the duration was never a problem with 2x 12v gel cells in it. I'm afraid I have no idea of the weight or the prop used now.

kris1

« Reply #95 on: September 22, 2008, 12:11:22 pm »

OK to jet my head round this, if an MFA 850 or 700BB is only producing 170W, then that will enough to get the board planing.  So at say 200W the boat will be happily on step and moving well.  If I was to use a brushless setup with the 5S 3700 packs.  This would mean that

200W / 18.5V =   11A draw.  this is the "planing draw."

3.7Ah x 60seconds / 11A = 20mins motor run. 

Does this sound right.  Of cause the motor will still have loads more power on tape.

Cheers

Kris

kris1

« Reply #96 on: September 22, 2008, 12:50:48 pm »

Sorry about the spelling, should be reported to the moderator!!!!

Kris

Martin [Admin]

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #97 on: September 22, 2008, 12:55:00 pm »

Sorted!  O0
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #98 on: September 22, 2008, 01:14:44 pm »

Sorry about the spelling, should be reported to the moderator!!!!

Kris
Don't worry about spelling, moderator cant spell either  {-)
Richard Solent Radio Controlled Model Boat Club http://www.srcmbc.org.uk

Martin [Admin]

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #99 on: September 22, 2008, 02:13:32 pm »

O0
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up

Page created in 0.127 seconds with 21 queries.