The Shipyard ( Dry Dock ): Builds & Questions > Lifeboats

Metcalf mouldings Waveney class Lifeboat The Scout

(1/5) > >>

mark:
Hi All
  I have ordered the above kit from Metcalf Mouldings and would like a copy of the reviews that have featured in the magazines can anyone help please.
I will be building it as one of the US Coastguard 44 Foot boats so there will be quite a lot of alterations to the standard kit and i hope to post a buld thread as i go along.
I will be using the 44 foot lifeboat website as my main source of information but if anyone has any other information drawings etc i would love to hear from you.
At the moment im waiting with baited breath for the big box to arrive,rarther impatiently i might add.
I shall be powering it with two MFA 800 motors on direct drive and 12 volt 7ah gell cell
Thats it for now until she arrives and the build starts.
Please feel free to comment on any of the above
Yours Mark

Bradley:
Hi Mark,
You can get copies of the builder's drawings from the RNLI.  I recently obtained the Mersey Class lifeboat drawings which, I believe, are 1:20 scale, extremely detailed and cost something like £12.  If you have a look at the RNLI website I think that there is an email address for the lady that deals with the drawings, etc., and she will quote prices, etc.
Happy building.   :) ;)
Derek B.   :police:

mark:
Hi Bradley
  Thanks for your reply,unfortunatley the RNLI boats diiffer somewhat from the US Coastguard boats mainly in the cockpit area as far as i know.
The US boats have side screens which are removable and a tubular construction type roll cage in the cab,also the Us boats had a tubular structure just to the rear of the cab covered with a netting i assume to catch any crew member falling backwards from the cab.
Please correct me if i am wrong,also there are also quite a number of other minor differences i am aware of.
The reason i chose for building the boat ? well i love the shape of the Waveney but i got a little fed up of seeing lifeboats all in the same RNLI colours so decided to go for a different look.
I do not have a dislike for the RNLI colours but just wanted something different
Yours mark

Captain Jack:
Mark,
  The netting you mentioned is more likely to protect the coxswain if the tow line parts, or god forbid the fitting on the towed vessel pulls out. The line is apt to come straight back at the coxswain, and at a high rate of speed....very deadly situation, of course!

tigertiger:
Hi Mark

Welcome to Model Boat Mayhem.

We do look forward to seeing your build. And as you are probably already aware, discussing the build as you go can uncover lots of information about alternate methods of doing things. And that way lots of us get to learn something new.

Best regards
Mark
aka TT

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version