Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Downloading fotos to accompany Forum posts  (Read 3593 times)

Popeye

• Full Mayhemer
  • I see no ships!
Downloading fotos to accompany Forum posts
« on: February 03, 2008, 06:32:25 pm »

Help  :'(

Having mastered - almost - the rocket science associated with submitting posts to Forum I now find that I'm unable to  add a foto (let alone more then 1 (one)) coz it/they exceed the 256Kb per post  :'(

My average 'shot' is in the order of 300/350Kb jpeg. How can I compress - if that's the term - a foto to enable it to be accepted for posting?

Computer literate readers will realise that I'm a Luddite as far as computers/systems/terminology  are concerned  :embarrassed: so any advise  - preferably in Idiot format - would be very welcome.

For what it's worth my Foto File is accessed via Microsoft 'My Pictures' on Hard Drive and my digital camera is 6m. pixel standard. O0

Can't think of any other pertinent information at this stage but will gladly respond if anything else is required.

Popeye :embarrassed:

Confucius he say, 'if all else fails.......reach for the  Red Top-Stop'.

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
Re: Downloading fotos to accompany Forum posts
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2008, 06:41:14 pm »

If you right click on a photo do you get a box with resize picture in it  ?
Richard Solent Radio Controlled Model Boat Club http://www.srcmbc.org.uk

bigford

« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2008, 06:42:26 pm »

popeye

first to resize a pic  find a pic you want then right click it  you should see
open with  click on paint  your pic should now reopen in ms paint
 now your in paint  click on image  when the box opens click  streach/skew
now you should see horizontal  100% highlited in blue
and vertical 100% below it.  if you lower the number to 50% on both boxes
you will reduce the size of the pic

Faraday's Cage

• Full Mayhemer
  • Change is inevitable, except from a drinks machine
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2008, 08:12:00 pm »

Popeye,

Assuming that you are using Windows XP:-

Click on the link below (XP Power Toys) and scoll down right hand side of page until you get to image resizer.
Download this small program.
Open your photo in Windows image viewer. (Normally this opens automatically if you double click the file of the photo).
Right click image using mouse and select resize image. Then you need to select medium.
This will produce another file of the photo but reduced in size and it can now be downloaded to forum.

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloads/powertoys/xppowertoys.mspx

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2008, 08:51:23 pm »

If you are using Windows Vista the equivalent function can be achieved by downloading the free VSO image resizer from here: http://www.vso-software.fr/products/image_resizer/

It works fine.

Popeye

• Full Mayhemer
  • I see no ships!
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2008, 10:05:53 am »

Many thanks to the contributors who so kindly responded to my plea for help.

Having read and inwardly digested all tips, I' pleased to say that I too , can now successfully insert fotos in my posts. (see 'Scale Sail'/'Pilot Cutter '). ;D

A very contented Popeye.

Confucius he say, 'if all else fails.......reach for the  Red Top-Stop'.

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2008, 11:19:41 am »

"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

Ghost in the shell

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2008, 11:29:51 am »

microsoft photo editor also does the same thing, and you can dial in the size you want

find your file, ==> [RIGHT CLICK]==> open with [scroll] microsoft photo editor [click]. ** FILE OPENS **

the tool bar shows ** [file] [edit] [view] [image] [effects] [tools] [window] [help] **

click [image] ==> "resize", set units [cm] [inch] [pixels] to PIXELS and then set width /height to 800x600

click [ok], save as "filemayhem" or something similar so you have the original one next to it in the directory, then use the uploader on here

Go Nuclear!  you'll love it

slewis

« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2008, 10:10:05 pm »

Or there is the FREE Irfanview prog which is great for quick resizing and saving in diff formats  O0
Dont know the web site off the top of my head but google it and its easy to find  ;)

GaryM

« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2008, 07:57:23 pm »

Lovely photo

Gary

GaryM

« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2008, 03:53:54 pm »

Just a quickie - If any one runs Vista like me, a free download (may work with other OS) is available from Googal and is called "Picasa" / 2.
Just  do a Googal search for it.

Gary :)

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2008, 08:09:43 pm »

May I attempt to clear up this on-going problem of posting pictures. I know that I have had problems in the past, but I think I have it sorted out now. I use XP so I don't know about Vista.
But here goes:-
1- hover your mouse over the thumbnail of the pic you want to post and it will tell you how big the pic is. The one I have chosen is 2.3mb.
2- Bring up your chosen pic to "full screen" size.
3- On the "top bar" click on "IMAGE", run down the menu and then click on "RESIZE".
4- In the 2nd box down you will see 2 boxes connected with a lock, and another to the right. Click on that box until you see "Pixels". Leave it at that.
5- Ignore the box that says "Print Size".
6- Leave the box that says "Resample" as "smart-size" with a "tick" in it.
7- Leave the box that says "Maintain Original Print Size" without a tick in it.
8- Unless you really want to distort things, leave the "ASPECT RATIO" box with a tick in it.
9- Leave the "RESIZE ALL LAYERS" with a tick in it.

Now we can begin to get your pics to the 256kb demanded.
1- Just for starters, bring down (or up) the pixel count to 1000 and click OK.
2- Check the thumbnail to see what size it is, and then repeat the process by increasing or decreasing the pixel count. This takes longer to write than it takes to do. With a little experience you will very quickly be able to judge and then get the pic you want to post within a few kb of the desired maximum.
Notes from a simple seaman

The long Build

« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2008, 08:30:03 pm »

Or you could download the Image resizer from Microsoft (521kb) , which  places an additional option  similar to Bryan Youngs on the menu when you right click on the picture or pictures, I use this and can resize as many pictures as I want in a matter of seconds which will convert a 2.5mb picture down to 85Kb or even less which provides a good picture for posting.. I use it for postings regularly. It has many options again similar to the one Bryan mentioned but you do not have to bring each picture up to full size and it will save it as a separate copy or over write the original the choice is yours..

The full file name is
Imageresizerpowertoy.

It works for me anyway. 

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2008, 12:16:31 am »

Or you could download the Image resizer from Microsoft (521kb) , which  places an additional option  similar to Bryan Youngs on the menu when you right click on the picture or pictures, I use this and can resize as many pictures as I want in a matter of seconds which will convert a 2.5mb picture down to 85Kb or even less which provides a good picture for posting.. I use it for postings regularly. It has many options again similar to the one Bryan mentioned but you do not have to bring each picture up to full size and it will save it as a separate copy or over write the original the choice is yours..

Instruction for 'Resizer' - http://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=399.msg2630#msg2630
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2008, 06:39:18 pm »

The full file name is
Imageresizerpowertoy.

It works for me anyway. 
Nothing wrong with that. But as the max. size of a pic is 256kb why not try to get the most out of it? With a bit of clarting around I can now easily get  it spot on at 255kb. Isn't that better than just going "small" or having an 85kb pic? Try it. Cheers. BY.
Notes from a simple seaman

The long Build

« Reply #15 on: May 11, 2008, 07:26:28 pm »

Hi Bryan.
The program will let you go to whatever size you want :)
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.12 seconds with 22 queries.