Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 2 Motors, 2 batteries, 2 channels, 1 Mixer  (Read 1657 times)

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
2 Motors, 2 batteries, 2 channels, 1 Mixer
« on: May 16, 2008, 08:40:58 pm »

Via Emai to Mayhem:

Hi Martin,

As I am new to this modelling game I wonder if I could ask you a couple of technical questions please

I am currently constructing a 46" Fairey Hunstman with a twin motor setup
I have 2 ESC's with BEC's and want to include a MIXER setup with a 2 channel R/c and twin 12 volt batteries
Would it be better for me to connect the Batts in parallel or split them to run the 2 motors individually
Do I need to couple both ESC's to the 'Rx'  using a 'Y' lead or will connecting one ESC to the 'Rx' suffice?????????
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

justboatonic

• Full Mayhemer
Re: 2 Motors, 2 batteries, 2 channels, 1 Mixer
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2008, 09:35:45 pm »

Get an ACTion Mixer and Distribution board. Sorted!  O0

John W E

• I see no ships !!
  • Full Mayhemer
Re: 2 Motors, 2 batteries, 2 channels, 1 Mixer
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2008, 09:57:24 pm »

Hi there, first question:

What are the Speed controllers you are using?  Have they both got BEC facility.   If they both have the BEC facility; one of the BEC facilities will need to be disabled.

There are obviously several mixers on the market, two which I have used (and these are only my preference) they are the Hunter Mixer and the ACTion Mixer.   These two mixers are purposely made for marine use - not like some of the 'Y' tail mixers which are manufactured for the aeroplane people - some people have though used them in model boats.   If you go for say, the ACTion mixer, which is slightly better than the Hunter; the set up is straight forward - there are two plugs which go into your receiver from the mixer and you plug the two speed controllers, plus your rudder servo into the mixer unit itself.   This gives you the full rudder motor mix.

Try and keep the batteries independent of one another - 1 battery per motor  -  there are some speed controllers which do not like to have their batteries paired up.   Two ACTion speed controllers connected through an ACTion mixer to a single 12 volt supply does not work.   Not unless you invest a little bit more and get one of the ACTion distribution boards.  A little bit more money though.

For your last question, about using a 'Y' lead; if you do not use the facility of the mixer, you can use a 'Y'Lead to connect the two speed controllers together through the 'Y' Lead.  However, obviously you will not have independent control of each speed controller.

Hope this helps  O0

Aye
John E
Bluebird

As I am new to this modelling game I wonder if I could ask you a couple of technical questions please 

I am currently constructing a 46" Fairey Hunstman with a twin motor setup
I have 2 ESC's with BEC's

and want to include a MIXER setup with a 2 channel R/c and twin 12 volt batteries

Would it be better for me to connect the Batts in parallel or split them to run the 2 motors individually

Do I need to couple both ESC's to the 'Rx'  using a 'Y' lead or will connecting one ESC to the 'Rx' suffice???
Knowledge begins with respect
But fools hate wisdom and discipline
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.099 seconds with 22 queries.