Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: What's the difference between................  (Read 9423 times)

Bunkerbarge

• Full Mayhemer
Re: What's the difference between................
« Reply #25 on: December 02, 2008, 12:58:04 am »

Cleaning is done with divers who operate a pair of very large rotating brushes.  The brushes are drawn into the hull by water pressure and the rotation creates forwards movement as well.  The diver simply hangs on to the device by the steering wheel and controls its progress acros the hull.  The whole thing is driven hydraulically via a diesel engine driven hydraulic pump on the quayside with all the hoses bound together in an umbilical cord.  The detail is finished off with much smaller rotating brush units.

The paint nowadays is more like a fibre glass resin and is a long way from the old anti-fouling paints that are now so unpopular with the environmentalists.  This stuff is sprayed on and is basically there for life, forming a resin coating, but of course not being anti-fouling it does need regular cleaning, especially if the vessel does not do regular high speed runs and operates in very warm waters. Just like us!!
"Dirty British coaster with a salt-caked smoke stack, Butting through the Channel in the mad March days"

catengineman

« Reply #26 on: December 02, 2008, 04:58:19 am »

The Engine Room will always make port first because the Deck Gang are always slow off the mark..... %)

Try telling that to a dip dab  :}

Deck germs recon that us engineers are just unwanted ballast  %% that is untill thers no light, water or some work to be done ! {-) {-) {-)

:} time to hide  O0

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #27 on: December 02, 2008, 08:17:24 am »

anti-fouling paints that are now so unpopular with the environmentalists   

Ii didn't know that, what the problem with anti-fouling?
By the way...... how do anti-fouling paints work?
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

BarryM

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #28 on: December 02, 2008, 09:08:53 am »

'Traditional' anti-fouling as used until fairly recently contained substances which killed the molluscs and weed which wanted to adhere to the hull. The problem was that these same substances leached into the seawater and thence into the food chain and onwards into us.   :((   Dry-docks shotblasting or HP waterwashing the hulls of vessels painted with the now banned compounds have to make special arrangements to dispose of the old coatings.  Coatings nowadays have to be chemically inert and (I think) most seem to rely on a smooth finish to which the barnacles etc. cannot adhere. Some are self-polishing which become smoother in service but these are only effective on vessels making regular fast passages (no use on tourist barges).   %)

I recall operations with a vessel which was used as a testbed by a paint company which painted test squares of differing antifouling on the underwater hull. After a few months in service, the difference in performance of the coatings was obvious.

Thus, for all those hobby sailors still using that old tin of anti-fouling you found at the back of the shed, be aware that you can now be suspended by the schronicles if detected.

Barry M

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #29 on: December 02, 2008, 09:24:43 am »

Modern yacht anti foulings are still copper based but no longer contain the toxic chemicals they used to. They still work by leaching and exposing copper which kills marine life which is why you are not permitted to fish in Marinas.

BarryM

• Full Mayhemer

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #31 on: December 02, 2008, 04:44:22 pm »

Hi Bryan Young.  If I remember correctly the Statute mile was 'established' at 5280 feet because the mile had been a bit variable around 5000 feet before that.  I suggest that it was a knowledgable bloke who said lets get this right for everybody and told the Law makers what to do.

I would take issue with the words knowledgable and Politician occurring in the same sentence though.
Regards Roy

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #32 on: December 03, 2008, 04:48:34 pm »

I'm pretty sure that this thread was started off as a light-hearted query. It's getting too serious now. Bunkerbarge is absolutely correct in what he says, but given the amount of modern technology at his grease filled fingertips I'm not surprised that "slip" can be more accurately measured than in days of yore. So, while agreeing with him, my rather obsolete reasoning remains (sort of) correct. As far as the engineers getting off on shore-leave first: this comment does have a precedent. We were tying up in Belfast at about 2am during a rotten night and we were having an awful job getting the bow ramp positioned....when a very junior engineer just barged into the wheelhouse demanding of the Captain "What time is shore leave, skipper?". As you can imagine, this did not go down very well and has remained in my memory bank ever since.
I have always enjoyed the banter between us "fish-heads" and the "clankies"....long may it exist, and as long as the banter stays at banter then it can be enjoyed by everyone. We all have (had) our own skills which came together to make a busy ship a complete working entity. No department could succeed in isolation...and that's what makes a ship work. End of story. BY.
Notes from a simple seaman

catengineman

« Reply #33 on: December 03, 2008, 06:19:06 pm »

Here Here  :-)) BY

Ps I wish you had sailed on some of the ships I have had the missfortune to be on with oil and water mentality. at least the last few have been acomplete team venture enjoying the banter that was thrown around dip babs dirt birds deck germs grease monkeys and spare ballast to name the polite ones LOL

I try not to worry over things like prop slip fuel ecconnomy just whether I will live another day  {:-{ well you never know when cookie will kill you with his mix of chockfast and soup....

R, and yes I'll take the monkeys fist ashore for you if you want.

tugmad

« Reply #34 on: December 03, 2008, 07:21:19 pm »

I totaly agree with Catengine man  Take a deckie and put him in the engine room and he will scratch his stern and wander off muttering about noisy smelly things,but put an engineer on deck and  and we can do most things a deckie can :D :embarrassed:

catengineman

« Reply #35 on: December 03, 2008, 07:29:19 pm »

:} :-))

R,

amdaylight

« Reply #36 on: December 03, 2008, 09:41:38 pm »

Now if we want to separate the Sailors from the boys send to the top of the main mast on something like The Victory or the Cutty in a storm.  ;D And to paraphrase a great movie line "ENGINEERS, ENGINEERS - WE DON'T NEED NO STINKING ENGINEERS"  ;) we got SAILS:-)) :-)) :-))

Andre
over yonder in Portland Oregon

amdaylight

« Reply #37 on: December 03, 2008, 09:45:03 pm »

" I totaly agree with Catengine man  Take a deckie and put him in the engine room and he will scratch his stern and wander off muttering about noisy smelly things,but put an engineer on deck and  and we can do most things a deckie can"

Now if we want to separate the Sailors from the boys send to the top of the main mast on something like The Victory or the Cutty in a storm.  ;D And to paraphrase a great movie line "ENGINEERS, ENGINEERS - WE DON'T NEED NO STINKING ENGINEERS"  ;) we got SAILS:-)) :-)) :-))

Andre
over yonder in Portland Oregon
PS Martin could you delete the other message "Reply #36"

Shipmate60

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • You bark - I will bite!!!
« Reply #38 on: December 03, 2008, 10:34:48 pm »

amdaylight
The Victory was one of the few sailing ships that did actually carry an ENGINEER.
His job was to look after the bellows bilge pump!!!

Bob
Officially a GOG.

BarryM

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #39 on: December 03, 2008, 11:21:47 pm »

Whatever the digs Deck, Engine and even Sparks and the Chief Steward might have at each other, those of us who have served at sea in a professional capacity are well aware that we all relied upon each other to get safely from A to B.

As Bryan said "We all have (had) our own skills which came together to make a busy ship a complete working entity. No department could succeed in isolation...and that's what makes a ship work."    

Nuff said before this thread descends into peurile Yah-boo name calling.

Barry M

catengineman

« Reply #40 on: December 03, 2008, 11:50:35 pm »

True now-days there is (with hope in my heart) no more of the *oil and water mentality* that was rife when I first set sail (went to work on vessels) some 33 years ago.
I am now with a great crew on a good ship and we ALL can have a laugh, true they call me gadget man and add that "all will be ok as *Bert* will fix it."

I have sailed with crew where the [deck officers] have slammed the bridge door in my face because I was only an engineer and they did not have engineers in the wheel house
I have learnt to live together alongside any seaman/woman I have even served under a female chief Eng to which I found most pleasing as she replaced a total (donkey).
There was (probably still is) a saying that you should never upset the cook on a ship the truth is you should try to never up set anyone as that makes our short life on this planet more enjoyable.

I am not saying I never get ####ed off with anyone and I know I probably annoy a few within the crew but we ALL work round it and the ship runs smoothly.
And IF my skipper comes on here to contradict me then thats up to him, but he has to remember WHO fixes his models  {-) {-)

R,

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #41 on: December 04, 2008, 03:15:47 pm »

To be really honest about all this lot is one bunch of people that (with notable exceptions) were the RN Officers of an embarked Flight. Insular, arrogant and a total belief that they were gods csen ones and we were just there to ferry them around and do thier bidding. They couldn't see that we were all skilled individuals and that they all came out of the same (Dartmouth) mould. Very few free thinkers among them.
Notes from a simple seaman

Bunkerbarge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #42 on: December 04, 2008, 05:46:39 pm »

I've seen good engineers and I've seen bad engineers, I've seen good deck officers and I've seen bad deck officers, it is all down to the individual at the end of the day.

I have all the respect in the world for a deck officer who can appreciate the requiremnt of wind and tides, plan his passage accordingly, get us there safely using as little fuel as possible and manoeuvre us in and out of port competently and skillfully.  Sadly there are very few of them left as most simply watch the automation and stick to a certain speed or, even worse, certain revs.  Exactly the same applies to many engineers nowaday who do not venture outside the control room enough and don't get a feel for thier machinery like I used to and rely on the automation rather than thier own senses to tell them when something is going wrong.

Also it may interest you to know that my father was a deck officer and he taught me that you can turn your hand to anything if you have the right attitude.

There again I always maintained he failed the entrance exam for engineering ;)
"Dirty British coaster with a salt-caked smoke stack, Butting through the Channel in the mad March days"
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Page created in 0.091 seconds with 22 queries.