Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Deck Camber  (Read 3094 times)

GaryM

Deck Camber
« on: May 17, 2008, 12:11:34 am »

Hi
I'm just about to fit the main deck to the hull  (it's been cut in two; 2/3rds front piece 1/3rd rear piece approx.)

The instructions say to cut the template out leaving 4mm outside the line.  When placed on to the hull  (flat) there is an overhang of about 15mm either side, (including the 4mm boarder either side) and about 8mm taking the measurement from the pre printed lines.

It was mentioned in an earlier post that the deck should have a "camber" the instructions do not mention this.
After fitting the rear piece, the camber is very pronounced, on pictures of the Marie Felling it's hard to see any camber at all.

Has any one any thoughts on this, only there seems to be loads of deck overhanging even without the 4mm excess either side?
Have I missed something?  The only work done on the hull is to reinforce the inside with resin.

regards
Gary :)

offshore1987

Re: Deck Camber
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2008, 12:39:20 am »

How much camber should a model have?  ;)

the tito neri is the same, talks about camber but you dont notice it alot :)

all the best

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2008, 02:54:25 am »

Could you post some pictures Gary?

This may help a lot
The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

barryfoote

« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2008, 08:36:33 am »

Gary,

There is no doubt that the ship would have a deck camber, but as tigertiger suggests some photos would make life easier...

Barry

GaryM

« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2008, 01:22:38 pm »

Hi hope this helps.
From the picture of the Marie Felling model there is no visable camber from port to starboard.  It's just odd the instructions say to leave an extra 4mm all around the printed outline, when there seems to be sufficient without it.

thanks
Gary :)

barryfoote

« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2008, 01:45:39 pm »

Okay Gar,

Thanks for the photos. Firstly, the camber on that rear piece is way off.  can only assume that the instructions ak you to leave the extra 4mm to enable fine trimming before final installation.

The first thing to do though is to put in the deck supports around the inside of the hull. these are usually of squared off timber. having done that you put cross pieces in to support the deck. These are normally shown on the plan and are strategically placed to frame the access to the hull when the deck superstructures are added.

These can be added with a slight rise towards the centre line, thus giving a gentle camber to the deck when installed or you can put them in flat and add risers to them afterwards. When ready you then trim the deck off so it fits well between the bulwarks.

Hope this helps amigo.

Barry

dougal99

• Full Mayhemer
  • Huntingdon, Cambs, England
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2008, 02:58:16 pm »

A book on scratch building I have recommends a camber of a quarter of an inch for every foot of beam (full size of course) so thats 1:48 of beam. The plan of my brittany trawler shows 5mm of camber for a 255mm beam which is approximately 1:50. (Close enough for government work.  :angel: ) The camber height includes the deck thickness of course. The camber should be the same for each station regardles of deck width.

HTH

Doug
Don't Assume Check

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2008, 03:19:44 pm »

I wonder it the instructions meant 4mm oveall (2mm each side).
The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

GaryM

« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2008, 06:58:12 pm »

Thanks Barry, Doug and Tigertiger.
I'll put the deck supports in first and like you say raise it slightly towards the centre.  I checked the instructions as I seem to be "mis interpreting things I've read lately" only to find I have not actually read what was written! (I blame my age)

Thanks Guys
Gary

Ron1

« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2008, 06:58:40 pm »

I would go with the 1/4 inch to 1 ft , thats 5 inch in 20ft, thats what I worked on when I did the decks of IRON DUKE 1916.

Bradley

« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2008, 08:47:13 pm »

Gary,
I think that you would find that the camber on the deck of a model is hardly noticeable so don't overdo it - better too little camber than too much.  I would also go along with what Barry says about the excess deck being for final trimming only.  You may find that, even then, you will have slight gaps between the edge of the deck and the bulwarks but these can be filled without any problem.  I have found with some models it is best to make a deck template out of thin card (cereal packets).  Make it in two halves so that they overlap down the centre line and, once you have a close fitting template, you can glue the two halves together and use this to cut out your ply deck very accurately (hope that makes sense  ???)
Derek.   :police:

GaryM

« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2008, 09:35:33 pm »

Thanks Ron1 and Derek
Yes it makes sense; I'll get my deck supports fitted first and go from there. :)
I think it's a bit of 'fear of the unknown' but thanks to you guys, it's not now unknown.  O0 
I've already fitted the first deck support and as soon as it's dry I'm back up to the bedroom workshop to fit another.  ;D

regards
Gary
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.117 seconds with 21 queries.