Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Rigging eh !!  (Read 4128 times)

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
Rigging eh !!
« on: March 24, 2008, 12:06:04 pm »

Well, here we go on another learning curve.

It looked so easy, reading about it, but when it came to actually  'doing it',  turned into a nightmare.

My rigging was assembled by first stringing up the tiny ropes to the mast. This was super-glued into position.  (methinks my first mistake).

Next day the rat lines were tied across loosely, with the intention of gluing the centre one and when dry, gluing the outside ones. The main lines are now stretched and hanging loose with both ends glued to the metal end pieces. (another problem if thinking of cutting them down)

The rope is in fact white furry thread which frays on the cut end, so every cut involves a burning with a naked flame to reseal it ready for the next tie-up.  (life is really too short for this sort of caper)   ::)

I plan to cut the lot down and make a bench Jig and manufacture the looms and glue ready to install in one go.

How does everyone else do this please.

Ken

Despite the high cost of living   .......... It remains popular

barryfoote

Re: Rigging eh !!
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2008, 12:47:43 pm »

Hi Ken,

I know the purists talk about tieing knots in the ratlines but thast is difficult to do and when done in my opinion does not give a realistic effect in most cases.

I alwayss put my shrouds up first, having run them through a block of bees wax to take the fur off. Put them up as the real ones were put up. Having done that simply put blobs of pva glue across the shrouds and place the ratlines across adding another blob of glue at each joint. When dry, cut off the excess and give acoat of paint. Then when dry run a compass point over the ratlines to give the right sagged effect, followed by another coat of paint and then varnish. Should the odd ratline need another blob of glue it can be done prior to second coat of paint. Result is realistic shrouds with the minimum of fuss.
The second photo is of my Victory before restoration, hence the dust...

Barry

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2008, 01:25:58 pm »

COR, that looks good Barry. When can you come over and do mine.    ;D

Two questions please.  What type of rope do you use and is it coloured dark before waxing?

Does the wax hinder the gluing?  (that's three questions !!   ;))

As you can tell, I haven't the heart to back out in the workshop, till I know what I'm doing.

Cheers...Ken

Stavros

« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2008, 04:55:46 pm »

Tug Kenny have you got any Yacht chandeliers around you if you have go in and ask for some black rope whipping thread,this will not fray will not give you grief and calm your blood pressure down O0

Stavros,
pm me if you need me to post you some

barryfoote

« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2008, 05:40:34 pm »

COR, that looks good Barry. When can you come over and do mine.    ;D

Two questions please.  What type of rope do you use and is it coloured dark before waxing?

Does the wax hinder the gluing?  (that's three questions !!   ;))

As you can tell, I haven't the heart to back out in the workshop, till I know what I'm doing.

Cheers...Ken

Thats a great offer from Stavros. Take him upon it Ken. The rigging cord does not really matter. It is the thickness that is important, so any commercially available can do a good job. The wax is no problem for the paint. Those models of mine are both 20 years old and not showing sighns of a problem yet..

The colour does not matter as shrouds and ratlines represent standing rigging and as such would not be left a natural colour. (In the old days they were tarred...I assume in kore modern times they would be painted but may be wrong..)

Barry

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2008, 08:24:07 pm »

Thanks guys for the ideas, and your offer. I shall have a look in the chandlers. Sounds just the stuff.

I had a go at 'Dying' the cotton black with wood dye tonight, and it came out allright. I'll have a go at gluing these pieces, but will move over to the yacht stuff for the rest.

Ken

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2008, 09:20:27 pm »

The yottie stuff is more UV proof too, useful if you do a lot of sailing.

Colin

farrow

« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2008, 10:54:19 pm »

As an add to Footski comment about colour of modern times, ratlines can only be fitted properly to rope or wire shrouds which have been parcelled and served, in which case yes they are blacked down regulary with stockholm tar. Wire standing rigging otherwise was coated with lanolin grease and painted with boiled linseed oil on coasters , sailing barges etc, or with a plush firm the wire was coated with white lead and painted white. Have seen attempts to sieze ratlines to bare wire and seen the things slide down under weight.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.098 seconds with 23 queries.