Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: jet propulsion?  (Read 2985 times)

uboatbuilder

• Full Mayhemer
jet propulsion?
« on: October 26, 2006, 10:50:21 am »

Hi, just a query really. There's been an idea in the back of my mind for a while now on making a Gerry Anderson "Stingray" sub (your probably familiar with it), to make it dive it would probably have to be dynamic diving as any kit would probably be quite small. But my main question was if those jet propulsion thingys (like on a jet ski) would work on a sub under water, because the "stingray" didnt have a proper propellor so to keep it accurate this is the only way i can think of,

What do you think?

Grant?  :)  :)

Andy

• Full Mayhemer
Re: jet propulsion?
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2006, 12:19:18 pm »

Have a look at the Aqua Jet vid on here http://www.jmss.jp/

Andy

tobyker

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2006, 12:34:41 pm »

I think the jetski and Dowty turbojet jets obey newton's law - the boat moves forward because of the mass of water ejected backwards. To get planing speeds the water has to be ejected into the air, not the water. In a sub you'd only get the sort of speed you'd get from an underwater discharge, eg a bow thruster. So it would work, but I don't think the sub would go very fast. However somebody who knows some physics may be able to correct me.

colin-stevens

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2006, 06:51:11 pm »

Built a Stingray myself some years ago. learnt a valuable lesson about sealed boxes and lead acid batteries.
to propel it i built a "Y" out of water pipe. the diaganol legs were smaller than the main leg. the angled legs were attached to the hull and were water inlets. theshaft came in at the junction and had a large prop on the end.hope this makes sense. it did work. quite well.
the problems came in when it turned. as the water inlets were mid way up the hull, more or less on the water line. as it turned it banked and one of the inlets would leave the water, halfing the incoming water and sucking in air, causing her to lose power.
the rudder was in the "spinning thingy"that didnt spin.when i get roud to doing it again i will lowewr the inlets. diving was done dynamically with the stabalizers.
if you are interested i still have the start of the hull. as they are symitical(?) it cabn be used for top and bottom.
i also have some drawings sent to me, can e-mail if you want.
let me know
colin
grumpy old XXX

Andy

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2006, 07:25:36 pm »

Very interesting Colin I've been playing with some pumps, just in a plastic box's (ice cream cartons and tape) to seal the electric's in the test tank (bath). Good resuslts, now thinking
about building a boat to put it all in.Stingray has always been on my mind,what size did you
build ?
Andy

colin-stevens

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2006, 07:33:35 pm »

roughly 35" x 103/4". dont know what scale that turns out at. try subpirates, few articles there.
colin.
grumpy old XXX

colin-stevens

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2006, 07:35:47 pm »

notice you are in london, so am i. if you want to borrow the hull half, let me know, sure we can work something out.
colin
grumpy old XXX

Andy

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2006, 02:37:59 pm »

Colin is there any chance you can email me pic's off the hull ?
Cheers Andy

Aston

« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2006, 11:08:17 pm »

take a look at the jet units on sale by the German company KMB  at     www.jet-drive.de      and if you click on the union flag at the top of the page you will get the English language version  :D

I saw one of these units at the Dortmund model show a couple of years back which had been built into a model of a killer whale.  If you think it wont go fast underwater.... well this one was going round the display pond below the surface, and then leaping clear of the water  :o :o  more than enough for Stingray - thugh I do remember watching it chasing the old enemy, the mechanical fish, and both of them leaping clear of the water   ::)

Aston

Andy

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2006, 06:58:37 pm »

Thanks for the pic's Colin
Andy
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.164 seconds with 22 queries.