Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: One of my old favourites... MFA Spearfish Rebuild  (Read 27045 times)

andyn

Re: old pic of one of my favourites..
« Reply #25 on: May 30, 2008, 04:18:25 pm »

Bit of an update to the Spearfish, I've put the new fully rebuilt and cleaned merco in, and my neighbours are very friendly and kind so they let me run it up in the garden. Ran about 14 oz. of fuel through it (two tanks full). Had it purring beautifully after a bit of a mod to the needle valve (it was freely spinning and b***ring up any adjustments I made). Now sings and throttles well. Watch it stop in the middle sunday  O0 ::)

Unfortunately I didn't take photos as I was too busy manually operating the throttle and getting two lungfulls of exhaust gases :(

Completely drained one glowstart in the process, and rigged up a system with a fuel/water pump connected via some silicon tubing to the water pickup tube on the cylinder head and to a bucket of cold (now quite warm) water to keep it nice and cool. took a reding off the cylinder head at 54.8ºc

Another finding I have is that the hull halves were stuck together with  :o :o :o :o bathroom sealant :o :o :o :o :o Which has split open at the front left when the expanding polysteyrene was doing it's business. May have to revise that somewhat.

andyn

« Reply #26 on: May 30, 2008, 04:24:59 pm »

To the Bat mobile Andy {-) {-)
It looks the biss, what do you think? number 2 OMRA boat or Lifeboat.

They do look really good. The diesel sound effect you were on about is a Robbe unit, and is £24.99 from Westbourne Model centre www.westbourne-model.co.uk, they also do a fog horn for £11.50 and a destroyer siren (  O0 )  for £13.99. I'm having one of their Smoke Generators in this PT boat I'm building, Rolands got one in a battleship, it burns baby oil!

Bill D203

• Full Mayhemer
  • not long now!!
« Reply #27 on: May 30, 2008, 04:34:34 pm »

Hi Andy.
Did you know that that builders foam stuff expends and will B()ger a boat up???? Twit ;D Why do you think I have per formed foam bits in my boat. If you have to do any repairs on the hull you have to dig it all out to get to the inside. NOT one of your good moves I think. :D
Roll On Mayday. Im off for a pint.   How Much!!!   WHEN do you need it!     No dear!    Yes dear??   Wot Now???  soon to be EX Chairman SMBC

Martin [Admin]

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #28 on: May 30, 2008, 04:47:25 pm »

Are you going to fit sound units to a boat with a Merco engine AND a tuned pipe?

To make a lid for it, I would start of with a paper template of the opening, transfer that to plywood,
build up a cockpit or cabin to your own preferences, skill and time constraints

"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

andyn

« Reply #29 on: May 30, 2008, 04:56:14 pm »

Are you going to fit sound units to a boat with a Merco engine AND a tuned pipe?

No I'm not martin, I'm just about to start build of the Higgings Hellcat in this months Model Boats, and shall hopefully be fitting a sound system and smoke generator to it.

As for the expanding polystyrene, it was the stuff that expands as soon as it left the bottle, I left it plenty of room both vertically and horizontally to expand further, but it was that little bit there that prized the bathroom sealant apart....

No need to worry about collisions anymore, as the front of that hull is ROCK SOLID O0 any scrapes/holes it does get could just be filled... but then I'm a careful driver O0

No cutting needed, it just compresses back down again with just finger and thumb so I'll just stick some P-38 in and get the big clamps on it. It'll be fine for sunday morning  :) Oh wait you won't see it... damned shame...  ;)

andyn

« Reply #30 on: May 30, 2008, 05:19:21 pm »

Hi Andy.
Did you know that that builders foam stuff expends and will B()ger a boat up???? Twit ;D NOT one of your good moves I think. :D

It would have been fine if the hull halves were joined properly, it would have expanded laterally instead of pushing it open O0

andyn

Re: One of my old favourites... MFA Spearfish Rebuild
« Reply #31 on: June 03, 2008, 03:34:02 pm »

Another update to the Spearfish, I filled the gaping expanse with P-38, then leant on it for about three quarters of an hour, whilst reading model boats (got a bit bored of leaning and looking at the wall). It didnt stick, it just lifted off again  >>:-( , after considering this, I decided just to fill the hole.

This didn't work either, it's lifted even further, so I've now decided to just leave it. There's plenty of foam in there so it won't sink  ;) . When it eventually does come apart, I can cut the foam down and seal it properly. Doesn't seem as if it's going anywhere so it should be alright.

To the Bat mobile Andy {-) {-)
It looks the biss, what do you think? number 2 OMRA boat or Lifeboat.

I reckon a lifeboat, it's something different, and you can only race one boat at a time O0

As for a bat mobile, don't know where we'd get one of them from, and I doubt it'll float  O0

Bill D203

• Full Mayhemer
  • not long now!!
« Reply #32 on: June 03, 2008, 03:51:19 pm »

Hi Andy
Came 9th on Sunday. I had a water cooling prob which caused me to stop and investgate. Started off again and it started to steam so I was forced to pack up.  If I hadn't have had probs I think I would have made it into the top 4/5 place. Trying a new water pick up now. Should be down Sunday to see if it makes things better or not.
Roll On Mayday. Im off for a pint.   How Much!!!   WHEN do you need it!     No dear!    Yes dear??   Wot Now???  soon to be EX Chairman SMBC

Martin [Admin]

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #33 on: June 03, 2008, 04:00:10 pm »

It didnt stick, it just lifted off again  >>:-( , after considering this, I decided just to fill the hole.

Clean ithe surfaces off with meths or turps or the like and use Epoxy glue.
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

andyn

« Reply #34 on: June 03, 2008, 08:19:50 pm »

It didnt stick, it just lifted off again  >>:-( , after considering this, I decided just to fill the hole.

Clean ithe surfaces off with meths or turps or the like and use Epoxy glue.

Aha, I shall then  O0

See you sunday Bill, maybye a leak in the water cooling O rings seeping water onto pipe/cylinder head, boiling the water? Just a thought...

andyn

« Reply #35 on: June 03, 2008, 08:26:11 pm »

Found you on our very own Model Boat Mayhem website not one, but two boats Bill, take your pick O0

offshore1987

« Reply #36 on: June 05, 2008, 08:52:00 pm »

I have one of these in the loft, great looking boat.

Too many other projects to do first though!

{-) Mines in the loft too  {-)

Good easy build and very nice boats, mines electric  O0 Oh one quick question do you think it would have problems if i put a 2.4 reciver in mine?

Its kinda quick but not to rapid??

All the best

andyn

« Reply #37 on: June 06, 2008, 12:21:05 pm »

I have one of these in the loft, great looking boat.

Too many other projects to do first though!

{-) Mines in the loft too  {-)

Good easy build and very nice boats, mines electric  O0 Oh one quick question do you think it would have problems if i put a 2.4 reciver in mine?

Its kinda quick but not to rapid??

All the best

No probs at all  O0 As long as you're using a 2.4Ghz transmitter too ;) ;)

offshore1987

« Reply #38 on: June 06, 2008, 04:14:15 pm »

{-) {-) {-) 

Didnt think of that  :angel:

Thanks for the advice though, i wasnt to sure if it would be a good idear or not, but il be swopin it over to 2.4 with all boats then

All the best  O0

Bill D203

• Full Mayhemer
  • not long now!!
« Reply #39 on: June 06, 2008, 10:15:39 pm »

Hi All
Take a look at the Photo off the month. IT'S MY BOAT O0

Shipmate60

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • You bark - I will bite!!!
« Reply #40 on: June 07, 2008, 06:39:07 pm »

andyn,
The foam will keep expanding and contracting due to the temperature.
If you can take the deck off and cut the foam at lease 1/8 inch below the deck level to allow for a little expansion.
This foam will expand in ALL planes!!

Bob
Officially a GOG.

andyn

« Reply #41 on: June 08, 2008, 03:08:04 pm »

andyn,
The foam will keep expanding and contracting due to the temperature.
If you can take the deck off and cut the foam at lease 1/8 inch below the deck level to allow for a little expansion.
This foam will expand in ALL planes!!

Bob

Maybye I shall  O0

Shall cut it into sections for easy removal later...

Cheers

andyn

« Reply #42 on: June 08, 2008, 05:12:50 pm »

Been in the shed repairing...

Or just making even more of a mess...

Looks like I've fixed it...

But I haven't...

Its now as smooth as a babys a*** though  O0

andyn

« Reply #43 on: June 11, 2008, 03:12:57 pm »

After a trip to Bill's to remove all the gunk and bathroom sealant with a Dremel, it was decided that the old thing needed a new paint job, so off I trundled to Halfords to get some paint and primer. I think the finished result looks quite good, even if I do say so myself ;) . I've also scrubbed all the grime off the propshaft and water pick up to make it shiney, and have made a start on the manifold. Paints used were Ford Black and Ford Azure metallic- for that shiney look  O0

Bill D203

• Full Mayhemer
  • not long now!!
« Reply #44 on: June 11, 2008, 05:00:21 pm »

Nice one Andy. Don't give up your day job {-) {-) {-)

Stavros

« Reply #45 on: June 11, 2008, 06:12:08 pm »

Dammed fine paint job there young Sir keep up the good work.One point that does worry me slightly is the expanding foam as that stuff has a tendancy to absorb water

stavros

Bill D203

• Full Mayhemer
  • not long now!!
« Reply #46 on: June 11, 2008, 06:20:20 pm »

Andy. Don't forget AFTER it has dry-ed off for a few days Spray it with a Fuel proof varnish. This should lock all the paint in and stop the fuel from eating the paint.

andyn

« Reply #47 on: June 11, 2008, 06:55:48 pm »

Andy. Don't forget AFTER it has dry-ed off for a few days Spray it with a Fuel proof varnish. This should lock all the paint in and stop the fuel from eating the paint.

Ok then where can I get some from?

Bill D203

• Full Mayhemer
  • not long now!!
« Reply #48 on: June 11, 2008, 07:46:40 pm »

Barry dose one or Halfords dose a Petrol proof varnish. Not sure if it is any good for nitro fuel . Maybe someone out there can tell us?

andyn

« Reply #49 on: June 11, 2008, 08:07:30 pm »

I have the stuff Barry sells but it says NOT FOR METALLIC PAINT  >>:-( on it. damn metallic paint, why didnt I get it.

Oh yes, because its shiney and sparkles a lot O0
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up

Page created in 0.097 seconds with 22 queries.