Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: One of my old favourites... MFA Spearfish Rebuild  (Read 27046 times)

Bill D203

• Full Mayhemer
  • not long now!!
Re: One of my old favourites... MFA Spearfish Rebuild
« Reply #50 on: June 11, 2008, 08:55:11 pm »

You live & learn then Andy. Back down to Halfords then. You MUST let all the paint dry for a few days before you Varnish it up.
Roll On Mayday. Im off for a pint.   How Much!!!   WHEN do you need it!     No dear!    Yes dear??   Wot Now???  soon to be EX Chairman SMBC

andyn

« Reply #51 on: June 11, 2008, 09:31:53 pm »

Okey dokey  O0

What am I looking for in Halfords? going to one in Hitchin tomorrow anyway

andyn

« Reply #52 on: June 12, 2008, 01:16:58 pm »

Just done the top too. Matches almost perfectly to the bottom.

Its a hell of a lot shiney..er in real life than in the pics.

Got some Halfords fuel proofer on the way back from an exam today, shall spray it when I've joined the hull halves. I might join them tonight.

andyn

Re: old pic of one of my favourites..
« Reply #53 on: June 12, 2008, 01:22:59 pm »

{-) Mines in the loft too  {-)

Build it then, we can race them  O0 There would be a race within a race at the OMRA dos then  :)

offshore1987

« Reply #54 on: June 12, 2008, 04:35:25 pm »

show and tell  ;)

back in 2006 ^^

andyn

« Reply #55 on: June 12, 2008, 06:57:02 pm »

Done the joining, has held very well, left it to dry with 30-odd half inch wide wing bands from the gliders.

As soon as my bellows come in I can take it to the lake  :)

I may borrow a cameraman and possibly take a vid

Looks good that boat, just a snappy paint job and some equipment to go then   O0

andyn

« Reply #56 on: June 13, 2008, 01:19:15 pm »

I WANT ONE !!!!   ;D

http://www.wawu.eu/V12video.html

What do we reckon, the project after the Crusader? A V12 PT boat??

Bill D203

• Full Mayhemer
  • not long now!!
« Reply #57 on: June 13, 2008, 03:46:46 pm »

I don't think so Andy. 1 Its seems to be very low revving. 2 YOU CAN'T afford one.
I'm off to Wales in a bit. Have a good weekend.
Roll On Mayday. Im off for a pint.   How Much!!!   WHEN do you need it!     No dear!    Yes dear??   Wot Now???  soon to be EX Chairman SMBC

martno1fan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #58 on: June 13, 2008, 06:49:47 pm »

You should have used pool noodles £1 from poundshop or pipe insulators from B&Q even cheaper,dont absorb water either.That stuff you used will be like a sponge  :o.Like the blue hate the black though sorry.
Mart

andyn

« Reply #59 on: June 13, 2008, 06:54:18 pm »

I don't think so Andy. 1 Its seems to be very low revving. 2 YOU CAN'T afford one.
I'm off to Wales in a bit. Have a good weekend.

Hehe I'll stick it in one of those rtr bat boats instead then  ;)

Have tried and it doesnt seem to absorb anything, but i'll chop some out and fit some pool thingys before I take it out anyways. Did you manage to get any from the beach Bill? don't worry if you didn't, I have another source  O0

Hope you win the race, see you next week? O0

Bill D203

• Full Mayhemer
  • not long now!!
« Reply #60 on: June 15, 2008, 04:55:36 pm »

Didn't make it to Wales. Mess up and had to stay in Wiltshire till this afternoon.
Yes I have 6 Noodles £1.50 each. If you want to pop round in the week for them Andy.

andyn

« Reply #61 on: June 28, 2008, 08:43:57 pm »

Been to wings & wheels today, you should of seen the lifeboat! about 50 odd inches in white gel coat. He wanted £165 for it.
www.metcalf-mouldings.co.uk <- is there for same price.

They also do other lifeboats  O0

They launched off 4 Weston UK Tigersharks and within five minuits three had crashed and one had to land dead-stick.

There was also a spectacular piece of flying with a Starfighter, the wind caught it on landing and it started rocking about, the bloke managed to land it (vertically) then bounced it onto its wheels, think it was alright.

The wind was far too high. There was some good trade stands though.

The Daleks and tanks were there, one of witch was about 5 foot long with quite a good sound and smoke system.

Couldn't quite get my head around why one stand had two tops for a nuclear sub for sale, but no undersides ???

bulldog1966

« Reply #62 on: January 24, 2011, 03:07:46 am »

my spearfish

phillnjack

« Reply #63 on: January 24, 2011, 04:52:01 pm »

The fairey spearfish would of been ok if it had been 46 inch like the big huntsman.
The problem with them was they were too shalow in the freeboard.

The fibrglass models were not right compared to the real ones, mfa used a fantome hull and reduced the size.
again the fantome in model form has not got the right hull,especially when looking at it from the front on.
And not the right amount of spray rails !!!.they were only made as stand off scale.
a good 40 size engine in the spearfish was plenty enough power, ive seen hp40 gold cup beat a austro webra 61 in these boats
and both were owned and set up by the same person.(back in early 1980's)
61 was too much power for the little boats, but loads of people had a merco 61 in them buzzing around the lakes.
Those old merco's were very decent engines,and pretty reliable too.
But i have seen a couple of wooden home made speafishes that looked real nice, and went very well.
Mfa done the spearfish in a few colours, white (you dont see very often) orange(early 80's), light blue, and i did see a red one ,but
that could of been painted.
The thing that was good for the spearfish was the size of the hatch opening,this was considered big when they came out ha ha .

Like them or hate them, they are still around and still available new, just a pity they are not made in the 46inch size.
something about all the fairey marine boats ,its those classic lines that never look outdated.

phill
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up

Page created in 0.085 seconds with 21 queries.