Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: One of my old favourites... MFA Spearfish Rebuild  (Read 27036 times)

das boot

One of my old favourites... MFA Spearfish Rebuild
« on: May 19, 2008, 05:37:50 pm »

My old w/cooled Bullet powered MFA Spearfish...the grandchildren got at the photo before I could rescue it.   :'(  >>:-(

Topic renmaed - Admin.

andyn

Re: old pic of one of my favourites..
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2008, 10:45:22 pm »

I have one of these in the loft, great looking boat.

Too many other projects to do first though!

das boot

« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2008, 08:14:16 am »

It's no good sitting in the loft man...either build it or sell it to me!! I fancy another Spearfish...big boat, easy to build, lovely handling in a chop, and the possibility of shoehorning a really rapid motor in it. Yea...sell it to me!

Cheers,

Rich

andyn

« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2008, 06:40:21 pm »

Have built it, had 2 days study leave. Sorry  ;)

Has the now infamous s.m.b.c. Andrew Nightingale merco .61 in it

However, not being the one to dissapoint, go to https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1520081/0 , theres one for sale there, if you fancy going to dubai and the missus will allow you £22,250.

Or, if the missus wont allow you this much, go to http://www.formbymodelshop.com/468---spearfish-2-287-p.asp , where there is a much cheaper (admittedly much smaller) one, starts life as an electric for a 850, but is still moulded glassfibre so could be beefed up slightly to take an i.c. It is the same size as mine.

I am thinking of entering mine into omra do's, so look out for B204 in the future!

Bill D203

• Full Mayhemer
  • not long now!!
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2008, 07:19:51 pm »

TRY D203.
What have you done now?????? >:( I hope the pipe works/ is fitted even. If the answer to this is No, then don't even bother bringing it down to the lake as you will not be able to run it. YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED Andy.
As for your history so far, OMRA will be shaking in there boot's NOT!
Roll On Mayday. Im off for a pint.   How Much!!!   WHEN do you need it!     No dear!    Yes dear??   Wot Now???  soon to be EX Chairman SMBC

das boot

« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2008, 07:36:19 pm »

Have built it, had 2 days study leave. Sorry  ;)

Has the now infamous s.m.b.c. Andrew Nightingale merco .61 in it

However, not being the one to dissapoint, go to https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1520081/0 , theres one for sale there, if you fancy going to dubai and the missus will allow you £22,250.

Or, if the missus wont allow you this much, go to http://www.formbymodelshop.com/468---spearfish-2-287-p.asp , where there is a much cheaper (admittedly much smaller) one, starts life as an electric for a 850, but is still moulded glassfibre so could be beefed up slightly to take an i.c. It is the same size as mine.

I am thinking of entering mine into omra do's, so look out for B204 in the future!

Good man, well done...any pics of the finished item? Lovely looking boats, aren't they? I prefer the Spearfish to the Huntsman/Fantome any day. I went to an offshore race day at Llyd years ago, it was held at a big gravel pit just off the main road if I remember rightly...a guy there had a Spearfish with a chainsaw motor in it, it was frightening to watch the thing trying to get airborne when he opened the throttle!

I'm trying to downsize, by the way...it may be a bit tight trying to get a full size Spearfish in my front room. I don't have a missus now [twice bitten...never again!] but the smaller version appeals to me.

Cheers,

Rich

andyn

« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2008, 11:59:40 am »

TRY D203.
What have you done now?????? >:( I hope the pipe works/ is fitted even. If the answer to this is No, then don't even bother bringing it down to the lake as you will not be able to run it. YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED Andy.
As for your history so far, OMRA will be shaking in there boot's NOT!

It wont be down for a while, but i have a source for a new manifold!!

Be afraid omra people, be very afraid!!!! O0

Ive also sorted the reliability issues, by stripping it down and removeng about 1 1/16 of an inch of solid gunk from the bottom of the crankcase and cylinder head!!

P.s my omra number is 204  :)

Also nice to know you have confidence in my abilities Bill =]

andyn

« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2008, 12:28:37 pm »

oh and as another little ad-lib, my building is quite good when i build the whole thing!

whoever made the huntsman put in a manifold thats too big and can't be attached without it falling off, a radio box that may have well have been a sieve, and a fuel tank that would have sunk the titanic without the iceberg!!

andyn

« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2008, 12:56:11 pm »

I got me a photobucket  O0

Heres some pictures of the finished item:

andyn

« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2008, 12:58:10 pm »

Note that the pushrods are not yet connected, as I have no spare Bellows, I have some on order at Mainly Models, and should be in tomorrow, so it can go for a sail sunday  O0

Shall take some photos of it on the water

Andy

Bill D203

• Full Mayhemer
  • not long now!!
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2008, 03:40:33 pm »

How much Ex pipe is hanging out the back??? If you want to go in OMRA race's you are only aloud 65mm  What have you raped round the pipe & why?
Roll On Mayday. Im off for a pint.   How Much!!!   WHEN do you need it!     No dear!    Yes dear??   Wot Now???  soon to be EX Chairman SMBC

andyn

« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2008, 03:54:58 pm »

Its got some ally foil around the pipe to try and deflect heat away from the radio box, as its only a couple of centemetres away.

It also has 11cm of overhang at the back, but I do have a much smaller first stage pipe in the spares box  O0

I was kinda joking about the OMRA races though, I may do it if that other merco runs, as it is newer. I have cleaned it with an old electric toothbrush, soaked it in fuel for 2 days, cleaned all the grime from the inside of the piston liner, removed and soaked the ballraces in oil, then I reassembled it and squirted some after-run oil in. It has plenty of compression and is now as smooth as a babies' a*** O0

andyn

« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2008, 03:57:43 pm »

How could I make a lid for it? I think it needs one. I do have some glassfibre, but I would need for you to teach me how to do it Bill  ;)

Bill D203

• Full Mayhemer
  • not long now!!
« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2008, 04:02:51 pm »

I would try and make a lid in the same style as the cabin ton, but with loads of vents in it. I made them out of plywood and balsa before.

andyn

« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2008, 04:12:34 pm »

wassa cabin ton?

Bill D203

• Full Mayhemer
  • not long now!!
« Reply #15 on: May 29, 2008, 05:18:05 pm »

A cabin ton is what you will have to accept if you want me to help you. Don't start. 8) 8)

andyn

« Reply #16 on: May 29, 2008, 06:46:29 pm »

Thats still as clear as mud stirred with a stick  ???

das boot

« Reply #17 on: May 29, 2008, 07:08:38 pm »

Wats that girt great metal tube hanging out the back for then? Stick a Bullet in there, hook up 24 D cells to it...just as quick and lots less hassle!

Nice boat, by the way...

Cheers,

Rich

andyn

« Reply #18 on: May 29, 2008, 07:15:48 pm »

That great metal tube is a pipe that was nicked from a huntsman that had its engine a lot further forward.
I do have another first stage of the pipe that is a lot shorter, so will be fitted soon.

Thinking of that Merco's track record, the electric version would be faster.

You're not one of those electric boat people are you? UNCLEAN!!!!! ;) ;) ;)

Bill D203

• Full Mayhemer
  • not long now!!
« Reply #19 on: May 29, 2008, 07:20:53 pm »

Not A demented egg whisk owner ;D ;D

Bill D203

• Full Mayhemer
  • not long now!!
« Reply #20 on: May 29, 2008, 07:23:09 pm »

Andy. take a look at www.speedline-models.com then go into the lifeboat section

andyn

« Reply #21 on: May 29, 2008, 07:29:36 pm »

Andy. take a look at www.speedline-models.com then go into the lifeboat section

Bill's new un- secret desires  O0

Can that rib be powered? we could do formation driving to rescue a stranded person after the rescue boat is hit again and sinks O0

Actually thats a bad idea as I would probably be the person in the rescue boat  O0

Bill D203

• Full Mayhemer
  • not long now!!
« Reply #22 on: May 29, 2008, 08:15:48 pm »

To the Bat mobile Andy {-) {-)
It looks the biss, what do you think? number 2 OMRA boat or Lifeboat.

das boot

« Reply #23 on: May 29, 2008, 08:20:21 pm »

That great metal tube is a pipe that was nicked from a huntsman that had its engine a lot further forward.
I do have another first stage of the pipe that is a lot shorter, so will be fitted soon.

Thinking of that Merco's track record, the electric version would be faster.

You're not one of those electric boat people are you? UNCLEAN!!!!! ;) ;) ;)

Used to dabble a bit in fast electrics, I had one or two boats, but the lure of submarines was always too strong. And yes, my subs were/are leccie powered. There's barely enough room in a sub to squeeze everything in as it is, let alone big noisy ic motors...and hulking great exhaust pipes!

Unclean indeed...sniff sniff.    :D

Cheers,

Rich

andyn

« Reply #24 on: May 30, 2008, 03:52:46 pm »

Seeing as its in a sub, you shall be excused  ;)

The old torpedoes had a petrol engine in them, fed with air by a bottle of oxygen, and the exhaust went out through the middle of the prop, like a modern outboard's exhaust does. These were quite large and so an RC sub powered in this manner would not fit into the back of your car, even if you had a transit van.  :)

I'd quite like a sub actually, but they're far too expensive for me (a student, says it all O0) and our lake is also quite smelly and brown, so I wouldn't be able to see it if it did dive, and if I did dive it the water would probably dissolve all the internals or something!

Andy
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up

Page created in 0.098 seconds with 22 queries.