Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: NEW TV SERIES - Warship  (Read 18747 times)

cdsc123

Re: NEW TV SERIES - Warship
« Reply #25 on: May 24, 2008, 09:36:06 am »

HMS Illustrious, 5 minutes ago;

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #26 on: May 24, 2008, 11:06:20 am »

Alright Christian, so you have a big pond at the bottom of your garden.  ::)
Richard Solent Radio Controlled Model Boat Club http://www.srcmbc.org.uk

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #27 on: May 24, 2008, 06:20:49 pm »

HMS Illustrious, 5 minutes ago;
Those piers in Gib used to be so attractive...but the tanks (fuel type) ruin them. So gather that "lust" passed out OK. Saves watching the rest of the prog then. (You spoilt the ending!!). BY.
Notes from a simple seaman

justboatonic

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #28 on: May 24, 2008, 09:13:57 pm »

Think its good to watch and, see the difficulties in the modern navy with old, dated equipment etc.

So what if its not done the way some old salts on here say it was in their day? Things change!

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #29 on: May 25, 2008, 09:55:37 pm »

Think its good to watch and, see the difficulties in the modern navy with old, dated equipment etc.

So what if its not done the way some old salts on here say it was in their day? Things change!
What's your point? I criticise the filming and the crappy editing. The crew come across as a bunch of amateurs and the ship is portrayed as falling apart. Nothing to do with being an "old salt". Use your eyes and ears. The film makers seem to want to portray the ship and its crew in a very subtle derogatory way...and have succeeded. I am not the greatest fan of the RN, but I believe in fairness, and this bilge wasn't fair. Also too much coverage of the "kids" and not enough of the people who do the things that makes the entity "work". The equipment is not old and outdated...her recent refit (at our expense) brought her up to modern standards. Get your facts right before you spout off.

justboatonic

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #30 on: May 26, 2008, 12:16:50 am »

What's your point? I criticise the filming and the crappy editing. The crew come across as a bunch of amateurs and the ship is portrayed as falling apart. Nothing to do with being an "old salt". Use your eyes and ears. The film makers seem to want to portray the ship and its crew in a very subtle derogatory way...and have succeeded. I am not the greatest fan of the RN, but I believe in fairness, and this bilge wasn't fair. Also too much coverage of the "kids" and not enough of the people who do the things that makes the entity "work". The equipment is not old and outdated...her recent refit (at our expense) brought her up to modern standards. Get your facts right before you spout off.

Oh do calm down. I didnt think the crew did come across as a 'bunch of amatuers.' Far from it in fact. Some of those featured were young and probably inexperienced. How are they to get experience then? The ship had problems, why the heck should the bbc, or anyone else for that matter, paper over those faults? I suggest you climb down from your high horse. I didnt get the impression the film crew or producers wanted to portray the ships company in the light you suggest. You seem to be quite hysterical about a matter of fact programme that showed warts and all which were few and far between. Perhaps later programmes will concentrate on the people who make the entity 'work' as you say, later in the series? It was only the first programme for god's sake!

The refit may have brought systems up to date but was the refit doen before, during or after the programme? If after, I dont see how you can say the air compressor was modern. It looked old and had quite a bit of rust on it by the look of things so the refit obviously didnt renew that piece of equipment. There was also the problem with the shaft. Perhaps the refit didnt cover that?

And have you stopped for just one moment to think it may well serve the people of this country what difficulties our service personnel have to put up with as regards pieces of equipment that may not be up to the standard they or we expect? Obviously not!

As for getting facts right, why dont you accept others have a perfectly good right to have an opinion and that opinion may well differ from yours? You seem to have a bit of history of going off on one!

Roger in France

« Reply #31 on: May 26, 2008, 05:54:56 am »

Now, now guys....let's keep it civil. We may not all agree but we need not get irate with each other. Direct personal criticism and attacks as well as angry responses (if they are made) will be moderated.

Just a friendly warning.....at this stage.

Roger in France
Global Moderator.

Shipmate60

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • You bark - I will bite!!!
« Reply #32 on: May 26, 2008, 11:57:02 am »

Its not really surprising that some of the equipment looked uncared for.
The way we operate these ships will always lead to that.
1 operational, the other in operational reserve tied up in 3 basin Portsmouth Dockyard.
You cannot expect to keep any ship in good condition unless fully crewed.
This will show up in equipment not overhauled in the refit IE Diving Air Compressors etc.
They are Naval Stores items and  without maintainers are UxE (upkeep by exchange).

Bob                 
Officially a GOG.

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #33 on: May 26, 2008, 01:17:17 pm »

Hi BY was Chevaline to do with the penatrative ability of Polaris missiles?  If so see Wikipedia, info released in 1980!!!
regards Roy

BarryM

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #34 on: May 26, 2008, 07:18:23 pm »

Roy,

Count back 11 postings before yours and try not to get your ankles bitten by the GOM in passing...  ::)

Barry M

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #35 on: May 26, 2008, 07:25:20 pm »

Oh do calm down. I didnt think the crew did come across as a 'bunch of amatuers.' Far from it in fact. Some of those featured were young and probably inexperienced. How are they to get experience then? The ship had problems, why the heck should the bbc, or anyone else for that matter, paper over those faults? I suggest you climb down from your high horse. I didnt get the impression the film crew or producers wanted to portray the ships company in the light you suggest. You seem to be quite hysterical about a matter of fact programme that showed warts and all which were few and far between. Perhaps later programmes will concentrate on the people who make the entity 'work' as you say, later in the series? It was only the first programme for god's sake!

The refit may have brought systems up to date but was the refit doen before, during or after the programme? If after, I dont see how you can say the air compressor was modern. It looked old and had quite a bit of rust on it by the look of things so the refit obviously didnt renew that piece of equipment. There was also the problem with the shaft. Perhaps the refit didnt cover that?

And have you stopped for just one moment to think it may well serve the people of this country what difficulties our service personnel have to put up with as regards pieces of equipment that may not be up to the standard they or we expect? Obviously not!

As for getting facts right, why dont you accept others have a perfectly good right to have an opinion and that opinion may well differ from yours? You seem to have a bit of history of going off on one!
You are absolutely correct. I apologize. We are all entitled to our opinions and one is as good as another. Sorry. Bryan Y.

MikeK

• Full Mayhemer
  • Utter Bloody Chaos !!
« Reply #36 on: May 27, 2008, 08:41:34 am »

After watching the episode last night, it strengthened my thoughts on the series. Unlike previous programmes on various branches of the armed services where I think the general aim of the programmes was to instill respect from the general public, this series seems to set out to trivialise the crew on 'Lusty'. The chap doing the commentary is more suited to some programme about 2nd hand cars or similar, perhaps Channel Five does not hire commentators of the same quality as the older TV channels. Hopefully it will improve as the series goes on, but my finger is inching towards the channel button on the zapper  >:(

Mike

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #37 on: May 27, 2008, 01:15:55 pm »

After watching the episode last night, it strengthened my thoughts on the series. Unlike previous programmes on various branches of the armed services where I think the general aim of the programmes was to instill respect from the general public, this series seems to set out to trivialise the crew on 'Lusty'. The chap doing the commentary is more suited to some programme about 2nd hand cars or similar, perhaps Channel Five does not hire commentators of the same quality as the older TV channels. Hopefully it will improve as the series goes on, but my finger is inching towards the channel button on the zapper  >:(

Mike
Guess I have to agree with you. But I still think the actual filming verges on the amateur, and the editing still leaves a lot to be desired. The commentary is by that chap who plays the rather seedy concierge in Hotel Babylon..not too far from your second hand car salesman. For some reason the photos of a "party" in todays Mail are of much better quality. (9 days off to play football? Free flights?)
From my recollections of the 3 ships, they always had a shaft / vibration problem. The blame "seems" to lie with MoD changing the spec during building, and it was never totally rectified. Bryan.

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #38 on: June 03, 2008, 02:39:41 pm »

Juries still out I guess. Enjoyed some of it but was horrified to see guns being fired without any anti-flash and with sleeves rolled up.All RN and RFAs have barbeques when they have time (even on ammunition ships), but a quite a few of the crew still seem to treat it all as a big joke. Might perk up a bit when they get a few aircraft on board. Going from the UK to the Indian Ocean without any embarked flight must make the deck crews pretty rusty....and shows the dire straits the RN must be in.

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #39 on: June 03, 2008, 03:07:09 pm »

I was also interested to see they didn't seem to have any sort of target practice.....  :-\
Also the office said 'shoot back ... but you could end up in court or at a war crimes tribunal!'
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

mogsy

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #40 on: June 03, 2008, 04:17:16 pm »

Never mind Lusty. I know it's off topic but did anyone see 'The Gadget Show' on before it?
Incredible robotic jelly fish at some German robotics firm. Basically a tank full that were self controling would swim in their own space and not colide and take it in turns to power up at an in tank charging system. Very impressive. And then they went into an atrium at the firms H.Q and had a air version - enough helium to float in air and the jelly fish arms 'flapped' to power skyward.

They also had aclip of the firms robotic rays which apart from the firms logo on  the top of each 'wing' were indistinguishable from the real thing. Dont think they would of tasted too good though.

Mogs

dougal99

• Full Mayhemer
  • Huntingdon, Cambs, England
« Reply #41 on: June 03, 2008, 04:29:18 pm »

I was also interested to see they didn't seem to have any sort of target practice.....  :-\
Also the office said 'shoot back ... but you could end up in court or at a war crimes tribunal!'

I've exercised with the Army (when in the RAF) and had one of our blokes subject to an exercise Board of Inquiry for 'shooting' a 'protester' who had jumped the fence and was running toward the Operations Block. The reason the Brigadier gave was that he, the protester, was not an obvious threat! This was prior to suicide bombers.

However, after that we couldn't get the blokes to take any 'offensive' action against the 'enemy'.

Guys posted to Iraq had to leave a letter saying how they would indicate they were acting under duress if captured and videoed. I found that particularly distasteful. It seems we don't even trust our own. Sad state of affairs.

I would hate to be in the front line these days.

Doug
Don't Assume Check

BarryM

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #42 on: June 03, 2008, 08:23:35 pm »

Given that some of our matelots burst into tears when relieved of their Ipods (essential military issue?) by Iranian erks, Wellington's phrase "I don't know what they do to the enemy but by God they frighten me", takes on a new significance.

I sincerely hope I'm wrong.

Barry M

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #43 on: June 11, 2008, 01:36:00 pm »

After the last episode my jury has given it the thumbs down. I would imagine the RN being very wary about letting this sort of prog being made again. If the film was meant to show the RN in "an honest light" then the average viewer must be wondering where all the money goes. Vieweres with even an inkling about the operation of the RN must be holding their heads in disbelief. The filming, the editing, the script / narration is awful. The "grandstanding" is gross and encouraged. Misfits are singled out and given "starring"roles. Can the RAF really only "supply" 4 fixed wing aircraft? Personally, I cannot believe that a Harrier pilot appointed to an operational carrier has never done a deck landing on one. Although (as I have said before) I am not the greatest fan of the RN I do believe in at least a bit of fairness and take no pleasure in seeing such a revered institution being so royally shafted. BY.

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #44 on: June 11, 2008, 02:32:16 pm »

On another note..... and being a confirmed land lubber, I was surprised to see how tight the formation of the ships were as they made way. Is that usual?
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

Bowwave

« Reply #45 on: June 11, 2008, 04:11:20 pm »

After the last episode my jury has given it the thumbs down. I would imagine the RN being very wary about letting this sort of prog being made again. If the film was meant to show the RN in "an honest light" then the average viewer must be wondering where all the money goes. Vieweres with even an inkling about the operation of the RN must be holding their heads in disbelief. The filming, the editing, the script / narration is awful. The "grandstanding" is gross and encouraged. Misfits are singled out and given "starring"roles. Can the RAF really only "supply" 4 fixed wing aircraft? Personally, I cannot believe that a Harrier pilot appointed to an operational carrier has never done a deck landing on one. Although (as I have said before) I am not the greatest fan of the RN I do believe in at least a bit of fairness and take no pleasure in seeing such a revered institution being so royally shafted. BY.
I have to agree, although to be fair the program does give a more human slant to the activities of the ships company and has a warts and all approach. Whether this is appropriate for the Navy or for that matter any of the armed services is a mute point but that’s up to the program makers and their MOD/Navy minders. I know that not all in the Navy are comfortable with this type of semi- reality TV production  and in the way it  presents “life” aboard ship.  But the alternative is to show the navy through rose tinted lens or keep the Navy / Army and RAF well out of it. I wouldn't extend my own criticism of the program makes and the MOD of allowing the Navy to be shafted, there are worse ways of denigrating the Navy and I would conclude that the Iranian affair did much more harm to the Navy's image than any light hearted TV documentary.
Bowwave

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #46 on: June 11, 2008, 06:20:48 pm »

On another note..... and being a confirmed land lubber, I was surprised to see how tight the formation of the ships were as they made way. Is that usual?

Not UNUSUAL. They get pretty tight when done for a photo shoot. And for a RAS (obviously). But just possibly the area they were in at the time was the bottom end of the Red Sea, so they could all have been closed up a bit.

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #47 on: June 11, 2008, 06:58:25 pm »

Shops "closish" together.....for Martin....

Bowwave

« Reply #48 on: June 11, 2008, 08:01:19 pm »

Some sharp  ship handling 

gingyer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #49 on: June 11, 2008, 10:20:53 pm »

Can the RAF really only "supply" 4 fixed wing aircraft?

to answer Bryan's question;
the RAF is now down to 2 squadron as is the RN all based at RAF Cottesmore under the joint harrier force.
both forces are working with 903 Expeditionary Air Wing (http://www.raf.mod.uk/904eaw/) this means that 1 squadron is deployed at a time
4 months in Afghanistan then 8 months home on a cycle. add to that the fact that the harriers were stopped in mid upgrades from GR7 - GR9 (no money)
this results in the GR7 requiring more ground maintenance time. I think they were lucky to get the 4 harriers
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up

Page created in 0.106 seconds with 21 queries.