Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: NEW TV SERIES - Warship  (Read 18749 times)

Faraday's Cage

• Full Mayhemer
  • Change is inevitable, except from a drinks machine
NEW TV SERIES - Warship
« on: May 19, 2008, 08:02:56 pm »

Starting tonight (Monday19/05/08) Channel 5, 21.00.

Life aboard HMS Illustrious. First of 6 episodes.

Apologies to all the ex - pats and all others who can't get Channel 5

FC

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
Re: NEW TV SERIES - Warship
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2008, 08:08:30 pm »

Hmm. Jury still out on this one. Not sure if it was incompetent film making/editing or the demeanour of some of the younger crew members. Complaining about only getting 5 hours sleep a night during a "work-up"! Luxury! But the film never once mentioned that a ship doesn't go into the Thursday War until it has done a couple of weeks basic training. The impression given was that the ship went directly from a long spell in port into a practise "war-zone". Surely not so. We used to have the 1st week of "work-up" in harbour doing all the usual stuff and drills etc. before we went out into the channel. Also during that 1st week, all the ships systems and procedures were checked out ( in my dept. that meant all Nav. charts and publications, ammunition stowage and papertrail etc.). It is also pretty common knowledge that the FOST staff will mark you down during the first couple of weeks no matter how perfect you may be. Then in the following weeks you will be gradually get marked higher...this is supposed to reflect well on the FOST staff input and "their" training regime. Some of the staff are superb and really want to help, but I'm afraid that quite a lot of them just like being in a position to hector rather than "train". Like I said, the jury is still out.....nearly forgot, does the "Lust" really only have a Lt.Cdr. as its senior engineer officer? And does that rather dirty air compressor really get used for recharging B.A.tanks?
Notes from a simple seaman

george1066

« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2008, 08:42:08 pm »

got to agree with you there bryan,times must be a changin...two weeks `work-up` was hard graft in my navy time.
Not completly sure but ships co was always in war mode, 4 on 4 off....what do you reckon?
Unfortunately I dont live in the UK so as for the 6 part serial....got no idea....but it is about Jack so
 I hope someday SVT will show it.
 :)

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2008, 08:53:40 pm »

Most impressive clip for me was when the seaman "let go" the anchor (is that the correct phrase?),  I love to have a go at that!
I like the fact there's another seaman behind him to pull him back, in case he slips I guess.
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

chingdevil

« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2008, 09:22:57 pm »

I am not sure about it, it did not portray the crew and the ship in very good light. Some of the crew gave the impression that the only reason they signed up is because they could not get any other job, and then moaned about the job they were doing.

Technical question, would they really use an HP air compressor to fill BA equipment, seems a bit excessive?? We have HP compressors where I work and would not use 50bar pressure to fill a BA set no matter how it is regulated.

Brian

Bradley

« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2008, 10:04:14 pm »

It might just be the impression that came over on TV but I got the impression that it was a bit of a scruffy, old rustbucket :(.  I liked the mini-gun though - I'll bet that would be quite impressive on a clay pigeon shoot  ;) {-)
Derek.   :police:

warship1

« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2008, 10:05:41 pm »

Yes they do use the compressors to charge the ba upto 270 bar which gives about 45 minutes breath time. Lusty actually has 4 of these compressors on board. IT all goes into a ringmain and you have charge panels which you fill the ba bottles from

chingdevil

« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2008, 10:34:02 pm »

Thanks Warship1

I understood about starting the engines using the hp compressors, I have seen that done but charging ba sets up to 270bar that is some serious regulating, the bottles must get nice and warm.

Brian

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2008, 11:32:51 pm »

"ba bottles"......?
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

warship1

« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2008, 11:53:21 pm »

all hand regulated mate, so it depends on who is charging them.

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2008, 07:03:42 pm »

got to agree with you there bryan,times must be a changin...two weeks `work-up` was hard graft in my navy time.
Not completly sure but ships co was always in war mode, 4 on 4 off....what do you reckon?
Unfortunately I dont live in the UK so as for the 6 part serial....got no idea....but it is about Jack so
 I hope someday SVT will show it.
 :)
Apart from the "harbour week" we were on "Defence Watches" a lot of the time, but as the RFAs prime role is re-supply a lot of the time was spent doing just that...and that is difficult (and dangerous) with only half a crew. If we had an "emergency" during a RAS then an "emergency Breakaway" would be conducted. Do you think the "forum" would be interested in some "personal" memories of "work-ups"? Some very odd tales therein!. Bryan.

John W E

• I see no ships !!
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2008, 08:25:01 pm »

Hi there one and all

What seems not to have been mentioned & clearly forgotten on the discussion about air compressors for BA Systems (or breathing aparatus) - when the air leaves the compressor it goes through various stages of filters.  The last stage of filtration for breathing is normally through a ceramic air filtering system - these systems clean the air twice as clean as the air we normally breath.  The same sort of system is used as a back-up supply for decompression chambers for divers' use - only with the decompression chambers there is a gas-mix filtration system as well.  Some of these systems are that good you can 'scrub the air that clean' it can clean an 'unwanted body function smell out of it - in no time'.

I know that the Royal Navy have three 4-man portable decompression systems.  I know that one of them is aboard HMS Ark Royal (that is if she is still in commission)  Lusty will have the other 'in service' decompression chamber which would be linked directly to one of these compressors, via the filter system.

aye
john e
bluebird
Knowledge begins with respect
But fools hate wisdom and discipline

Swordfish

« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2008, 08:45:54 pm »

In the US, Public Television recently aired a ten hour series called "Carrier" , documenting a deployment of the USS NIMITZ.  Would very much like to watch "Warship" concerning the HMS ILLUSTRIOUS for comparison. I suspect we'd see a lot of similarities.

Swordfish

ROSYTH

• Full Mayhemer
  • Steam glorious Steam..
« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2008, 08:49:35 pm »

There all too soft these days, Work up at Portland was never ending graft both alongside and at sea...........we even did a two month work up prior to our deployment
round the WEST INDIES for 6 months, although we ended up going a lot further than the west Indies. We pulled in at New Orleans as the representatives for the British Film Industry
Bash!!! don't ask how we got to that.
Greatest trip I ever had that was and for all those who remember.......the exercise called R.A.S Replenishment at sea with the RFA.
Now that is something to be seen at speed too, ratings frantically transferring stores below.....I think it went.....ONE FOR THEM.......2 FOR US!!!!!!
I really enjoyed them as you got to use some of the lesser known and used skills like the Bosun's Chair transfer, purely as an exercise of course but
when you in the chair dangling between two fast moving beasts its get the old heart pumping....great stuff.
Will we see anything like that????

HMS GHURKA Tribal Class Frigate 1978 west Indies deployment.

I shall watch and see how things are done today.

Cheers
Cliff

Roger in France

« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2008, 06:36:30 am »

YES, please, Brian....it's the way you tell um!

Roger in France.

chingdevil

« Reply #15 on: May 22, 2008, 06:14:48 pm »

Martin

BA Bottles = Breathing Apperatus Bottles, the cylinders you see on the back of firefighters when they are fighting fires with toxic fumes. The navy have them if the crew have to fight fires on board ship, damm awkward to move about with one of those on you back.

Brian

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #16 on: May 22, 2008, 07:05:00 pm »

There all too soft these days, Work up at Portland was never ending graft both alongside and at sea...........we even did a two month work up prior to our deployment
round the WEST INDIES for 6 months, although we ended up going a lot further than the west Indies. We pulled in at New Orleans as the representatives for the British Film Industry
Bash!!! don't ask how we got to that.
Greatest trip I ever had that was and for all those who remember.......the exercise called R.A.S Replenishment at sea with the RFA.
Now that is something to be seen at speed too, ratings frantically transferring stores below.....I think it went.....ONE FOR THEM.......2 FOR US!!!!!!
I really enjoyed them as you got to use some of the lesser known and used skills like the Bosun's Chair transfer, purely as an exercise of course but
when you in the chair dangling between two fast moving beasts its get the old heart pumping....great stuff.
Will we see anything like that????

HMS GHURKA Tribal Class Frigate 1978 west Indies deployment.

I shall watch and see how things are done today.

Cheers
Cliff
Funnily enough I was on that deployment! Especially if you are on about RFA Resource. It was one of the odd times when we used the "monkey on a stick" rig, and I recall completely overwhelming the "Ghurka" with the speed of our transfers. So we all had a bit of a smoke-o to let you lot catch up. I was the Nav. on Resource at the time. But our prime reason for being there was twofold. Neither one to do with keeping you lot fed and watered (a mere by-product). No, it was the aerial transfer of a 600lb "naughty" weapon from us to you with the assistance of your little buzzing Wasp. Towards the back end of the main deck of Resource (and Regent) was a closed but open ended "garage" that was originally designed as a nuke prep area. I think this was the first time it had ever been used as such. Normally it was just a repository for any odd bits of stuff that was lying around. The decks were cleared of all personnel...but I could see from my Ivory Tower. The designated "stonnery" got their act together and eventually this little white thingy with little wings and a tail fin emerged on the forks of a carefully driven fork lift truck. Now that WAS a first! Usually the trucks would scoot around like in a fork lift grand prix. Not this time. The "thing" was duly delivered to the prep area where it remained for nearly an hour. Now remember all of this was very "hush-hush"...notwithstanding that the taxi drivers in Plymouth kept asking "us" to deliver parcels to their relatives/pals on "Ghurka". Eventually the "thing" was ready for transportation, and very heavily disguised in a tight fitting wool suit. Wow! A wooly bomb! That'll keep the secret from the Russkies. And I am not going to tell you what our second mission was for otherwise I may get into trouble....but does the word "Chevaline" mean anything to you?

warship1

« Reply #17 on: May 22, 2008, 08:29:01 pm »

Not forgotten bluebird as i used to be a maintainer just didnt feel the need to go all the way in. The reason that the carriers have 4 compressors was because they used to create their own LOX and GOX for the pilots but these have since been removed. The new Ba is also Alot better than the old Basca system.

John W E

• I see no ships !!
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #18 on: May 22, 2008, 09:44:16 pm »

Hi there Warship

I think really it is up to folk like yourself and others who have the knowledge of the workings of the engine room and auxiliaries - of Warship & Merchant vessels - to try and enlighten others of the true workings of a sea going Vessel's engine room.   It is not just a case of a large engine which drives the ship forward - there are compressors, generators, fire pumps, bilge pumps as well as many other items.   Some of them are not only used for one application, they can be cross-linked to do many other functions. Like in an emergency, how bilge pumps can be linked into the fire mains system.

We have to keep sharing and expanding our knowledge to help those less fortunate who have not managed to experience life aboard a ship yet.  O0

aye
john e
bluebird
Knowledge begins with respect
But fools hate wisdom and discipline

warship1

« Reply #19 on: May 22, 2008, 11:00:19 pm »

Totally agree with you there, i just didnt want to flood people with information. But in future i will tell all and let people make up their own minds if they want to know it.

if you could amend this when you get a moment it would be much appreciated as i dont want to seem confrontational with it how it stands.

many thanks
Stu

Edit - Admin

chingdevil

« Reply #20 on: May 23, 2008, 06:48:04 am »

Warship1

Perhaps you and Bluebird could start a thread similar to BY with your experiences on board ships, I am sure a lot of members would be interested in it.

Brian

warship1

« Reply #21 on: May 23, 2008, 08:11:57 am »

I dont know about that mate i only posted as it was a subject i have some knowledge on, but i messed it up a bit.

stu

BarryM

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #22 on: May 23, 2008, 10:03:19 am »

Quote - And I am not going to tell you what our second mission was for otherwise I may get into trouble....but does the word "Chevaline" mean anything to you?
[/quote]

Bryan,
You can forget the Official Secrets Act now - Your secret is out! See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chevaline.

By the way, did you have a highly secret official knitter making romper suits for  H-bombs? Probably designated HiSOK?

Cheers,

Barry M

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #23 on: May 23, 2008, 06:09:17 pm »

Quote - And I am not going to tell you what our second mission was for otherwise I may get into trouble....but does the word "Chevaline" mean anything to you?

Bryan,
You can forget the Official Secrets Act now - Your secret is out! See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chevaline.

By the way, did you have a highly secret official knitter making romper suits for  H-bombs? Probably designated HiSOK?

Cheers,

Barry M
[/quote]
My remark was meant as a joke...but I realise it was a bit flat. Sorry. Bryan.

BarryM

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #24 on: May 23, 2008, 06:12:55 pm »

Bryan - so was mine - sorry, Barry M  :D
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up

Page created in 0.106 seconds with 22 queries.