Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: NEW TV SERIES - Warship  (Read 18748 times)

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
Re: NEW TV SERIES - Warship
« Reply #50 on: June 17, 2008, 07:05:57 pm »

I don't know why, but I found last nights offering a bit more watchable than most of the earlier ones. But I found myself wondering when this thing was filmed. There were numerous references to the USS "Cole". She was attacked in Aden quite a long time ago. So if the film is "x" no. of years old how does that relate to other events that occurred later? I can only assume that the film is a cobbled together bunch of episodes filmed over a number of months or even years. But that would mean that the female Eng. Officer had been aboard "for ever". Someone put me straight here! It's also a bit odd that totally new voices and tattoos are appearing. In previous programmes we had seen the ship spending quite a lot of time in hot weather without any (or much) flight activity. Now we see a lot of fish-belly-white bodies gathering on the flight deck. I think there has been a massive crew change somewhere down the line, and we as viewers are being "conned" a little. Nice to see my old ship "Fort Austin" making an appearance. But again, if a bit of machinery breaks down during a RAS ...and it happens to all ships...why on earth was the RAS sort of cancelled? Why not just switch to a Vertrep using the Lusts Merlins? Also, I have never seen a major RFA without a flight embarked during a deployment. Something not right here, methinks. BY.
Notes from a simple seaman

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #51 on: June 17, 2008, 07:20:13 pm »

I think the USS Cole was repaired some time ago so the pictures are almost certainly recent.

HS93 (RIP)

• Full Mayhemer
  • I cannot spell , tough
« Reply #52 on: June 17, 2008, 07:35:03 pm »

Tester

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #53 on: June 18, 2008, 07:14:35 am »

Some information on the RN site here...

http://admin.royalnavy.mod.uk/server/show/nav.6940

Richard

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #54 on: June 23, 2008, 10:01:57 pm »

Must say, I did enjoy that series, most informative for us land lubbers!

... and that was a nice model sub too for the exterior shots!   ;D

"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #55 on: June 23, 2008, 10:32:27 pm »

Yeuch.What's the point of an aircraft carrier without "proper" aircraft? What's the point of an anti-submarine execise when the "seekers" have to be given a blatant clue? Sorry people, but that series did nothing to enhance the profile of the RN (to me, anyway).

The long Build

« Reply #56 on: June 23, 2008, 11:25:07 pm »

Thought it was an interesting series , but have to agree with BY that surely the purpose of an exercise is that in this case the sub's job is to get to the aircraft carrier without being detected and not helping the Enemy by telling them where they were , my impression on this exercise was that the carrier would have been successfully attacked without detection.

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #57 on: June 24, 2008, 10:29:15 am »

I found it was interesting that the submarine could not only hear the sonar buoy (looked about 24" long x 8" dia)
being dropped into the water but also could hear it "fizzing" as it descended and "pop" as went below a
certain depth.  :o
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

John W E

• I see no ships !!
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #58 on: June 24, 2008, 12:13:50 pm »

Hi all

After watching last night's final episode I was, like the rest of us, would have been mislead by what they were saying about the Submarine having to surface to give the Merlin Helicopter a chance at locating the Submarine on exercise.   

However, anyone knowing anything about the tactics about what the Royal Navy use these days to sub-hunt - they would have realised this was obviously put on for the camera crews.   If we think back and look at the surrounding vessels which were in support of the Illustrious in amongst them were the very sophisticated sub-hunter vessel - the Type 23s - specifically built to hunt submarines.  She is fitted along with her gas turbine drive system, a diesel electric system which enables her to run very silently and she has highly sophisticated Towed Array Sonar (TAS) to locate submarines.  Also, she has other devices fitted in her bow; the Merline helicopter was built to work in conjunction with this vessel where the Merlin drops its Sonar buoys in the water at a distance away from all shipping movement and the information not only is sent to the Merlin but it is also transmitted to its parent ship which is the Type 23.

The Merlin is basically the 'killer' the Type 23 is the finder analyser.

So.....that was a bit of a show last night - not letting the left hand know what the right hand is doing I would say.

aye
john e
bluebird
Knowledge begins with respect
But fools hate wisdom and discipline

justboatonic

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #59 on: June 24, 2008, 08:35:31 pm »

Thought it was a really good insight into what our forces personnel have to put up with ie some machinery old and out of date, some of it top notch, the dedication of many of the crew, the pitance that gets spent on their meals (how come prisoners get more money spent on them per meal?).

Despite all that, if I were younger, it would certainly have made me consider enlisting despite the drawbacks.

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #60 on: June 24, 2008, 09:52:04 pm »

Thought it was a really good insight into what our forces personnel have to put up with ie some machinery old and out of date, some of it top notch, the dedication of many of the crew, the pitance that gets spent on their meals (how come prisoners get more money spent on them per meal?).

Despite all that, if I were younger, it would certainly have made me consider enlisting despite the drawbacks.
Please do not worry about how much the catering allowance is. Both the RN and the RFA have a catering allowance less than that in HM Prisons. The question should be why. The service catering is more than adequate and is sometimes outstanding. Answer? Reduce the prison catering budget.

justboatonic

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #61 on: June 25, 2008, 09:15:44 pm »

Please do not worry about how much the catering allowance is. Both the RN and the RFA have a catering allowance less than that in HM Prisons. The question should be why. The service catering is more than adequate and is sometimes outstanding. Answer? Reduce the prison catering budget.

I think its bloody disgusting jack sh*t prisoner gets more spent on his \ her scoff than our lads and lasses serving the country do.
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up

Page created in 0.12 seconds with 23 queries.