Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Plywood.  (Read 9383 times)

Bradley

Plywood.
« on: May 19, 2008, 08:25:03 pm »

Can any Mayhemmer suggest a source of 1/8"(3mm) plywood, please, as I am finding it difficult to obtain in the King's Lynn area.  Mail order would be a consideration but I would prefer to buy a whole 8' x 4' sheet (cut in half - 2 pieces 4' x 4' so that it would go in my car) and if anyone can supply this I will be at Wicksteed Park next Saturday.  I can get 4' x 1' sheets locally by ordering it but this is an expensive way to buy any quantity.  :(
Any help much appreciated.  :) ;)
Derek.   :police:

dreadnought72

• Full Mayhemer
  • Wood butcher with ten thumbs
Re: Plywood.
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2008, 08:40:56 pm »

There's a B&Q in King's Lynn, according to their store finder.

Not the cheapest way to buy wood - but they must have 8 by 4 ply, and they also tend to have a cutting service.

Andy
Enjoying every minute sailing W9465 Mertensia

rwalker

« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2008, 08:46:25 pm »

I used to get Luan plywood from the local DIY in Banbury. I'm sure such stores all over the UK have this kind of wood as well as a few grades of other types. If there are any avaition supply shops you should be able to find some aircraft grade plywoods as well.
Rev

Bradley

« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2008, 09:32:48 pm »

Many thanks Andy and Rev but it would appear that the thinnest plywood that the DIY stores sell is 1/4" - much too thick.  I have even tried a local (very helpful) timber merchants but they say that their suppliers do not do 1/8" thick.   :(
Derek.  :police:

dougal99

• Full Mayhemer
  • Huntingdon, Cambs, England
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2008, 09:39:31 pm »

As you will be in the relative area at the weekend give Inwood Models of Huntingdon a call. 01480 411519. I get all my thinner plywood there at a good cost (well I think so). They close at 12 on a saturday.

HTH

Doug
Don't Assume Check

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2008, 09:43:40 pm »

They are having you on Derek, 3mm Birch or Gaboon ply is a normal stock item at any half decent timber merchants. ;)
Richard Solent Radio Controlled Model Boat Club http://www.srcmbc.org.uk

Bradley

« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2008, 10:03:47 pm »

Thanks for the info about Inwood Doug but I will be going through Peterborough and not Huntingdon.
From what you say Richard I will have to pay another visit to some of the local timber merchants.
Many thanks guys, all the suggestions are useful.  :)
Derek.    :police:

FullLeatherJacket

« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2008, 07:26:26 am »

Thanks for the info about Inwood Doug but I will be going through Peterborough and not Huntingdon.
From what you say Richard I will have to pay another visit to some of the local timber merchants.
Many thanks guys, all the suggestions are useful.  :)
Derek.    :police:
Derek
Our local timber merchants in Nottingham stock Russian Birch ply in lots of thicknesses, including 3mm. It's cheaper than Finnish Birch and just as good (i.e. WBP quality). I paid just under twelve quid for an 8x4. You should be able to get something like this a bit nearer to where you are.
FLJ

Bradley

« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2008, 09:22:10 am »

Many thanks FLJ.  I am going to try another timber merchants this morning - fingers crossed.  :)

John W E

• I see no ships !!
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2008, 10:48:46 am »

hi there

What is the plywood going to be used for?   Because, some of the plywoods we can get from timber yards are only made up of 3 veneers - and only have a good quality 'outer veneer'.  The inner veneer is of a lower quality material which, sometimes is full of voids/gaps.   When cutting it tends to either splinter or split.  You may find also that the outer veneer peels off the inner veneer quite easily whilst working with it.     If it is going to be used for any structures that require no splitting; it may pay you to try and look for 5-layer ply.    Although it is a lot more expensive, you will find it definitely gives a better finish and is certainly a better material to work with.

I used a 5-layer ply for the frame build for the 63 foot whaleback from Mantua Model Company and this is their website  www.mantuamodel.co.uk   this was 1/8 inch thick ply, but, it was extremely expensive - well worth it though - 3 foot x 1 foot costing 9 pounds sterling, plus postage & packing.  Mind you, it is one of the best ply woods I have worked with.  I could cut extremely thin sections without it splitting across and the veneers lifting off.

aye
john e
bluebird
Knowledge begins with respect
But fools hate wisdom and discipline

Bradley

« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2008, 02:06:23 pm »

Hi John,
I want the plywood for the decking material for my MMM Gribbin Head and also to have some in hand for other models.  Thanks for your advice.

Bradley

« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2008, 02:28:21 pm »

Having read some of the other comments about deck material I am beginning to think that 3mm is a bit of an overkill and that 1.5mm would be adequate.  I can get 1.5mm without any problem and I think I will go along that route.
Many thanks to everyone for the helpful advice.  O0 ;)

grasshopper

• Full Mayhemer
    • A1 Hobbies Ltd.
« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2008, 02:35:48 pm »

It has recently occurred to me that another source of reasonable quality plywood (made in Russia) is from Ikea - bought some damaged kit furniture and some of those plywood filing trays from the bargain corner / damaged goods section for a few pounds and restocked my wood store.

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2008, 08:58:19 am »

3mm ply substitute
From B&Q

I have used 8x4 door skins. They come in different grades from about 2.7mm - 3.2mm. They also vary in quality, but are perfect substitute.

Rememebe that thinner ply (e.g. 1.5mm) bends much easier if this is what you need.
The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

Philipsparker

« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2008, 04:28:13 pm »

Try model aircraft suppliers. They have to use very good quality ply. If you can get Liteply then it's fantastic and cuts beautifully with a Stanley knife. A bit more expensive than the standard stuff but well worth it.

Phil :)

Alastair_I

« Reply #15 on: June 09, 2008, 04:23:08 pm »

Having read some of the other comments about deck material I am beginning to think that 3mm is a bit of an overkill and that 1.5mm would be adequate.  I can get 1.5mm without any problem and I think I will go along that route.
Many thanks to everyone for the helpful advice.  O0 ;)

Derek, where are you getting your ply from now?  And what size sheets have you been able to source in the KL area?  the local modelshops seem to only source short sheets, and the B&Q/HB/F selection is distinctly limited and rarely flat.

Alastair

Bradley

« Reply #16 on: June 10, 2008, 05:08:50 pm »

Hi Alastair,
I finally bought some Liteply from Barney's Models - just over a fiver for a sheet large enough for Gribbin Head's deck with a little bit to spare.  As Phil suggested - easy to cut with a very sharp knife.  The only other source I found was 1.5mm ply from a timber merchant in Lynn which would have been about £25 for a sheet 5' x 5' and a wait of about two seeks, so I did not bother.  :(

Alastair_I

« Reply #17 on: June 10, 2008, 07:35:31 pm »

Thanks Derek.. I know Barneys.. got the Huntsman from him..

Maybe see you Sunday morning?

Al

dougal99

• Full Mayhemer
  • Huntingdon, Cambs, England
« Reply #18 on: June 10, 2008, 08:58:55 pm »

about £25 for a sheet 5' x 5'

unquote

£1 a sq ft is not a bad price for 1.5mm ply my local model shop in Huntingdon high street charges about twice that whereas Inwoods is about the same. Guess where I buy mine?  O0

Doug
Don't Assume Check

Bradley

« Reply #19 on: June 12, 2008, 09:33:13 pm »

It wasn't so much the cost as the waiting time for delivery but I may well order some so that I have a stock in hand for all the models that are waiting to be started on.  Hope to make it on Sunday morning, Alastair.   I remember seeing the Huntsman in the shop together with 'crew'.  O0
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.105 seconds with 22 queries.