Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: what is your job  (Read 15726 times)

hopeitfloats

Re: what is your job
« Reply #50 on: May 21, 2008, 08:48:26 am »

what an interesting variety of jobs we have. i served my apprenticeship as a diesel mechanic  (plus another 15 years) working on tractors and farm equipment before changing to irrigation stuff as i mentioned at the start. seems i cant get away from the farms.

John W E

• I see no ships !!
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #51 on: May 21, 2008, 08:53:28 pm »

hi all

I served my time as fitter and turner in the Dockyards - followed by some time at sea and some various other jobs including working in the fibre glass industry (when there were no engineering jobs to be had in the North East).   

Worked for an aero engineering manufacturer for a good while.

What I regarded as my best job of all is I worked for a small engineering Company - used to do work for the Ministry of Defence and worked all over the UK with them  places such as Rosyth, Portsmouth, you name the place  {-)   As I always away from home, I then took a job working for Formica Company as a maintenance engineer - ooo those shifts  :-\   - then, I was retired - they could find no more work in me  :o  and put me on the scrap heap.  :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(

aye
john e
bluebird
Knowledge begins with respect
But fools hate wisdom and discipline

DavieTait

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #52 on: May 21, 2008, 09:12:47 pm »

Started my working career as a commercial trawlerman , then had a year as a Fishery Officer ( poacher turned game keeper lol  :police: ) before back to the fishing before 9 years as a Fishery Scientist working for the Government at the Marine Laboratory in Aberdeen. Been disabled with 2 squashed disks in my lower back since August 1999 and been on my Pension since 2001 ( aged 33.... )

Currently got more boats to build than hours in the day just need my back to stop hurting so much to get started on them !!!
Davie Tait,
Scotland

Wetwater

• Full Mayhemer
  • My mind often wanders. Once it left completely.
« Reply #53 on: May 21, 2008, 11:35:50 pm »

A few assorted jobs after leaving school then a few years installing / changing electric meters for the SEB. Two years at
    County Tractors on final fitting plus converting new Ford D series truck chassis from 4x2 to 6x4s.  Another two years at
    Dennis Bros fitting pumping gear / water tanks etc to fire engine chassis's.  Then twenty nine years servicing or assembling           
    and testing new hydraulic pumps / motors / control valves etc until the company went bust.  Finally, four years  building
    Pinzgauer trucks for the MOD.  Retired two years ago.  YIPPEE. O0 

Now, like most retired people, I find the time just fly's by.  At work it was "Has that clock stopped".  Now it's "B - - - - Y
    H - - L, is that the time already"
Alan.

toesupwa

• Full Mayhemer
  • USA'd ex Brit
« Reply #54 on: May 22, 2008, 12:06:01 am »

Ex Architect.

Now I'm a coronation ticket seller on a retainer.  O0

Martin13

« Reply #55 on: May 22, 2008, 10:04:00 am »

Avionics Engineer for an Awfully long time - then Data Analysis Black Box Recorders plus sold things that went "Bang". Dept of Defence Consultant - then had enough of all that.

Now semi retired, work part time driving delivery trucks for Hardware Store to feed my hobby, which is turning out to be a very expensive hobby.....

Looking forward to NOT working at all...... ;) ;)

Martin doon under

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #56 on: May 22, 2008, 11:05:13 am »

Semi-retired, so unofficial job is flying as many tools and as much boat buiding stuff under the radar as possible.
The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

Bradley

« Reply #57 on: May 22, 2008, 04:49:07 pm »

Here goes (if I can remember  :-\)
National Service in Royal Marines (landing craft) 1952/3.  Slight mixture of jobs but, finally, 29 years in the police (North Yorkshire and Metropolitan) until retired after heart op in 1985.  After recovery (and a while being fairly idle) I spent 5 years with the London Borough of Barnet but retired (again) in 1996 after a slight heart attack.  Did a few driving jobs but had another slight heart attack in 2003 and decided to give up completely and concentrate on more important things (like model boats).  Now living in the quiet seclusion of a Norfolk village.
Derek.   :police:

barryfoote

« Reply #58 on: May 22, 2008, 05:02:32 pm »

Here goes (if I can remember  :-\)
National Service in Royal Marines (landing craft) 1952/3.  Slight mixture of jobs but, finally, 29 years in the police (North Yorkshire and Metropolitan) until retired after heart op in 1985.  After recovery (and a while being fairly idle) I spent 5 years with the London Borough of Barnet but retired (again) in 1996 after a slight heart attack.  Did a few driving jobs but had another slight heart attack in 2003 and decided to give up completely and concentrate on more important things (like model boats).  Now living in the quiet seclusion of a Norfolk village.

You keep drawing that pension and enjoy life. 29 years deserves it.....I did 22 and went kicking and screaming in 1998 after picking up a hip and wrist injury in a riot. I only had 2 men on duty that night and against 250 screaming yobs, we had no chance. Anyway all in tha past now and after running our own property managemant company for a while and having a go running a building company for a short while, decided to call it a day for good. Now enjoying the models and life in general..

Barry :police:

Bradley

« Reply #59 on: May 22, 2008, 09:08:41 pm »

Thanks for your kind thoughts Barry.  The only thing I envy is your climate - keep enjoying it (and the boat building, of course).  ;) O0

wbeedie

« Reply #60 on: May 23, 2008, 11:31:58 pm »

Left school to go to sea then joined the now defunct Queens Own Highlanders at 17 seved just under three years when medicalled out with a bad back went back to sea  until 2002 when the last vessel I was on sunk in the Atlantic and have been on sites for the last 6 currently a sparkies mate and away to start Adult Training as a spark in August

botchit

« Reply #61 on: May 27, 2008, 12:45:18 pm »

served time caulker & burner in llairds. Went onto site work then for people who make exceedingly good cakes ;D took money and like Banjo am now a member of a security team. Next who knows .
Botchit

Casper

« Reply #62 on: May 31, 2008, 09:04:55 pm »

1, Projects Director for a major European parking equipments manufacturer
2, stock car racer - just retired
3, football ref - very retired
4, model boat builder (when I can find time)
 O0

rem2007

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #63 on: May 31, 2008, 09:25:54 pm »

Hmm...
what a varied lot we have, well via a stint in the Canadian Armed forces was followed by time at university, then many years being a glorified chaffeur and back to university and for the past 8 years have been in health and social care, but due to surgical complications have been forced to seek more office type  of role with fingers crossed should have shortly.
I am also a part time football manager for under 10s, a hydro-ceramic engineer and head distributor of animal food products.
Oh, and have just finished my first model boat!

Subculture

• Full Mayhemer
    • Dive-in to Model submarines
« Reply #64 on: May 31, 2008, 10:39:23 pm »

I work on the London Underground as a Signals Technical officer. Was transferred to the private sector about 6 years ago under the government PPP initiative, so I am now employed by Tube Lines.

Andy

hopeitfloats

« Reply #65 on: June 01, 2008, 11:51:06 am »

so what does that job involve.  sounds like it could be interesting :)

Subculture

• Full Mayhemer
    • Dive-in to Model submarines
« Reply #66 on: June 01, 2008, 03:51:09 pm »

I deal with signal failures and maintenance and some commissioning of new signal works.

The nature of the works is hands on, which suits me as paperwork bores me silly. The work is chiefly electrical, although as I work on point equipment and signal frames there is a fair amount of mechanical work too. We do some work with computers, although they're quite ancient by todays standards- the average home pc is far more powerful.

Downsides to the job are the hours (shiftwork) and some of the grotty holes you have to work in at times- tunnels aren't the cleanest of places!

Andy

catengineman

« Reply #67 on: June 01, 2008, 05:10:00 pm »

Left school and did the Apprentice thing for auto engineering along with study for heavy industry's, got C & G distinction, worked an Thames and Medway rivers for pocket money from the age of 12 ? (cheap labour)
Went to work on London Tugs then to clearance dredgers then to Survey ships then back to Tugs then back to dredgers and any ship tub vessel I could get work on.
If not on a ship tug vessel then worked on agricultural, industrial plant machinery. though some times getting work was hard when the employer found out I was a Ship's Engineer, it took some explaining that just because a ships engine was the size of their Dutch Barn didn't make it any different to the one in the combine harvester.
I am now working as a second engineer aboard an aggregate dredger (will probably end up as one of the chief's)
When I get the time I like to alter models for other people (mainly my skipper) and build a tug now and then, my next project is a model of the vessel I am now serving on.

hopeitfloats

« Reply #68 on: June 02, 2008, 09:59:29 am »

i saw a programme on the london underground on discovery chanell. who knows. i might have been looking at you Andy.

hopeitfloats

« Reply #69 on: June 02, 2008, 10:01:49 am »

catengineman you have my dream job. O0

Ghost in the shell

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #70 on: June 02, 2008, 11:11:35 am »

order picker at Argos RDC acton gate working shifts.
Go Nuclear!  you'll love it

dreadnought72

• Full Mayhemer
  • Wood butcher with ten thumbs
« Reply #71 on: June 02, 2008, 11:18:37 am »

Degree in Archaeology -> BBC TV cameraman -> Web Developer at a Scottish University.

It's been a funny old trip. :D

This work thing doesn't half eat up my boat-building time, though.  :(

Andy
Enjoying every minute sailing W9465 Mertensia

farrow

« Reply #72 on: June 02, 2008, 03:23:21 pm »

Best job of all early retirement from mod, except the wife keeps finding irritating jobs for me to do!!!

andygh

« Reply #73 on: June 02, 2008, 05:24:06 pm »

OK seriously,

RAF - general electrical mechanic
GEC Reliance - telephone exchange installer
Stock Exchange - data tech
Union Bank of Switzerland - data tech
Goldman Sachs - data tech
A year caring for terminally ill family member
Garden Centre - dogsbody
Data systems contractor at various places such as Glaxo & Fords
Audio visual tech at Birkenhead college & then National Army Museum Chelsea (my dream job, involved getting payed to make working models)
Electrical fitter in heavy machinery manufacturing company including installation of plant at several sites around Europe
Presently maintenance technician at the airport, so back to square one in many ways (though it pays a little better these days)

Only 20 years to go & I can retire (unless they change the age limit  :'()

catengineman

« Reply #74 on: June 02, 2008, 07:23:07 pm »

catengineman you have my dream job. O0

After several years of doing this    YES even I have dreams about it (Oh Err that may be nightmares {-) ) but on a serious note the job I do gives me loads of free time (1 for 1 leave) and even more free time while at work which is where I built Tito  ;)
There is a lot of paper pushing now though.

R,
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up

Page created in 0.091 seconds with 21 queries.