Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Dead Eyes  (Read 3916 times)

sinjon

• Sinjon
  • Full Mayhemer
  • Model Bioat Mayhem Forum is the Best!
Dead Eyes
« on: May 21, 2008, 12:18:57 pm »

Hello

I am building a bluenose (Billings) Looking ahead I am trying to understand how to rig dead eyes. My plan has a chain plate pinned to the hull, the top is turned over to form a hook, from the drg. it looks like the dead eye has thread around it knotted, forming a loop at the bottom, sort of figure of eight - into which slips the chainplate hook. The deadeye is only 5mm dia, how on earth do you make that?
Also a pair of dead eyes are connected by three threads, again how do you rig these?
Going to France for a long w/e, but hope to have some ideas for Monday - Please chaps.

Colin
Colin

RickF

• Full Mayhemer
  • Black, white and buff - not grey!
Re: Dead Eyes
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2008, 04:13:36 pm »

Colin,

Don't know if this picture will help. It's from Rigging Period Ship Models by Lennarth Petersson,published by Chatham in 2000

Rick

andrewh

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2008, 08:14:57 am »

sinjon,

The replies I wrote yesterday have disappeared into the aether - so here we go again.

Rick has neatly covered the area above the lower deadeye.  I would add a few suggestions for lacing the lanyards, since what looks straightforward has its moments - especially in getting them all the right length!
  • Clean out the holes in the deadeyes with drill or hot needle to get rid of burrs
    countersink all the holes both sides very slightly
    Either soak the end of the lanyard cord in cyano and sharpen it
    or use a needle - if you can
    Or use fine wire as a needle-threader to pull the cord through the holes
    or cheat and use copper wire or picture-hanging wire!
I get the deadeyes in line by lacing them to a jig - pic attached

Below the lower deadeye  - see sketch!
Is your Bluenose a sailing model?  or is it museum quality scale?
I ask because the rigging method in Rick's picture is what any ship would have used from about 1550 to now, but the emphasis is on Ship.  There is another style called "cutter-rigged" and it is just possible that the Mystic fishermen might have used this or similar on schooners  in the late 19th century.

And i'm having a nightmare trying to post this - have a good wekend in France, anyway and show us some pics when you return, please
andrew

andrewh

• Full Mayhemer

sinjon

• Sinjon
  • Full Mayhemer
  • Model Bioat Mayhem Forum is the Best!
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2008, 03:43:34 pm »

Hello
Back from France (St Valery) sorry but drove there with the hood down on Thursday, eating lunch out on Friday and Saturday, stopped off in Boulogne for lunch on the way home on Sunday, and yes lunch out in the sun again. Touch of drizzle on the A14 late p.m. what rain?
Thanks Rick, the drg. explains all at last. Every drg. I have seen just shows three loops, seemingly not connected.
Andrew, I have followed your sketch with 100% success, I stripped some electric cable, took four strands, twisted them into ropes, soldered them into loops, trimmed off the excess, filed the solder down, formed the second loop, twisted it tight on the dead eye, really looks good - and it was pretty quick as well. Am now going to copy your jig!!
The web sites look like so comprehensive I should not need to come back again - thank you both.

Colin

Colin

andrewh

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2008, 07:47:26 pm »

Sinjon,

Glad to hear about your success with the deadeyes, And St. Valery ;D

Now there is just the small matter of the usual Mayhen commission - please post us some pics!

andrew
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.13 seconds with 22 queries.