Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Tugs & Towing Section...  (Read 7210 times)

norry

• Full Mayhemer
  • ...Get Your Tugs Out For The Bouys...
Tugs & Towing Section...
« on: May 22, 2008, 11:42:57 pm »

...Hi Martin, Bradders  & the rest of the guys...

Whats the chances of getting the Tugs & Towing section back on the Forum...
I feel that I have lost touch with happenings on the Model Tug-Towing Scene since this section was removed in the last shake up of the site...

After all Springer Tugs & Dickie Workboats (which i think are no more than toys) have their own section...

Is there anyone else out there who feels the same way about this...

...Best Regards...Norry...
...Get Your Tugs Out For The Buoys...

Damien

Re: Tugs & Towing Section...
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2008, 12:41:43 am »

Each to their own of course, however from what i've seen of the Dickie/Seaport re-builds they are far from toys and are no different to scratch building with a ready made hull from another source.
Also consider Most folk that DO NOT Model themselves, consider all models be they Ships, Planes, Cars or anything else as TOYS.
A simple plea to Martin would work without denigrating the modelling efforts of fellow modellers.
Damien.
( steps off box, now free for next person)  O0 {-)

bigford

« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2008, 02:18:39 am »

ya as somebody with a dickie,oh wait were talking about tugs  :D

i think its a great idea to have a section to talk about tug towing  seeing
as that is something not to popular here in the states.  i love to see the pics of
 the course's and the workings. most of the people at the lakes by me sail there tugs
not work them  :embarrassed: 

andygh

« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2008, 05:17:32 am »

Springer Tugs & Dickie Workboats (which i think are no more than toys)

Can't help feeling there's something wrong about that statement, each to their own and all that  :o

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2008, 07:49:46 am »

Hi Ho Norry!

What section would you like to see and where on the forum?

Martin  O0
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

barryfoote

« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2008, 08:16:43 am »

I am definitely with Norry on this one, although I don't say that Springers are toys, but they are amongst the simplist form of Tugs, so a section on Tugs and towing is far from unreasonable...

westcoaster

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2008, 08:33:08 pm »

Don't lets get carried away reacting to a statement that Norry made about Dickie Workboats. He was expressing his opinion as he is perfectly entitled to do.
The main point he was making was that there should be a dedicated section on Tugs and Towing.
He was justifying that by pointing out that Springer tugs and Dickie Workboats have their own sections.
I think he is right and agree that Tugs and Towing should be reinstated.
Best Wishes
Douglas

dms toucan

« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2008, 09:15:44 pm »

Don't lets get carried away reacting to a statement that Norry made about Dickie Workboats. He was expressing his opinion as he is perfectly entitled to do.
The main point he was making was that there should be a dedicated section on Tugs and Towing.
He was justifying that by pointing out that Springer tugs and Dickie Workboats have their own sections.
I think he is right and agree that Tugs and Towing should be reinstated.
Best Wishes
Douglas
I agree also there should be a tugs and towing section
Regards Martin

andygh

« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2008, 09:59:33 pm »

I agree in the main, but is there really any need to denigrate another modelers pride & joy to put your own point across? I don't think so and that's an opinion I'm entitled to.

I'm not trying to be awkward, I just think it could've been worded a little more respectfully, I've never tried one myself but springers look like a lot of fun and seem to bring their owners great pleasure. Let's face it, many of us must've been asked why we play with toy boats when talking to non-modelers, there's no need to start looking down on each other as well  :'(

norry

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2008, 10:19:29 pm »

...Hi Guys...

First of all...Apologies to anyone that I have offended...

I am not trying to bring down Dickie Workboat/Tugs as they help introduce a lot of people to our hobby...Or indeed anyone who owns one of these wee boats..But I stand by my opinion that they are no more than toys...This is backed up by the number of members who rip them apart & make them into nice Model Boats...I have a couple of them in my boatyard that i am going to use the upperworks of on Springer Hulls for the kids to play with...

I was merely pointing out that Both Springers & Dickies have their own section whilst our Tug-Towing Tugs dont...

I certainly don,t regard Springer Tugs as Toys as I have built a Springer or 2  myself lately, Not to mention the many GRP Hulled Springers that will appear at the Mayhem Weekend whose hull was produced by myself...

I would just like to see the Tugs & Towing Section re-instated so that the modellers who are interested in this particular branch of Model Boating can resume sharing Ideas, pictures, stories & event reports just like it used to be...

...All The Best...Norry...

ministeve

• Full Mayhemer
  • washing the decks!!!
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2008, 10:37:02 pm »

hi Norry i agree with you whole heartedly i don't hardly post as my interest is mainly tug towing since tugs and towing section has been removed. i miss it :'( come back pls

andygh

« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2008, 06:56:36 am »

Fair point, the Dickie tugs (in bog standard form) are little more than a toy

Damien

« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2008, 07:00:18 am »

There seems to be some strong interest in a Tugging section i assume this would also cover Pushing.
It is of course up to Martin, however a question begs to be asked ie: If there was a section for it here WHY was it removed ?
Was it lack of posts ? Did it get to be a slanging match ?
If the interest remains strong I don't see any problems remembering although we are all members we are still guests here and Admin can add and remove section as he sees fit. I take it nothing was said when the Tugging section was removed, or it would have been reinstated.
Perhaps it went in a cleen up to reduce bandwidth, I'm on ADSL2 and for me each page take 30 seconds or more to load it would be hopeless on dialup. There could be any number of reasons to which Martin and possibly the Mod team are privy.
Mean while voices have spoken and we await words of wisdom from above.
Damien.  

J.beazley

• Full Mayhemer
  • The building never ends
« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2008, 07:12:25 am »

Not sure if it was removed to make way for the TUG specific forum ?!

www.modeltugforum.com

Dont get me wrong im on both forums and there great but i like to have all the eggs in one basket as they say. O0
Bring it back i say

Jay
1:48th scale for my ships. Large enough to show gratuitous detail, small enough to stay married.

Roger in France

« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2008, 07:28:01 am »

The "Tugs and Towing Section" was removed as a part of a reshuffle of all sections.

However, the Moderators Team does listen and there seems to be quite a head of steam to see it reintroduced. So, watch this space. We will have a brief discussion after Wicksteed.

Roger in France.

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #15 on: May 26, 2008, 05:47:59 pm »

Taa Daa!

Here are gentlemen, your new section.
Wipe your feet, make yourselves at home.

Don't forget:
Tug builds & rebuilds:  http://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php?board=94.0
Design Office: Research Section :   http://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php?action=collapse;c=24;sa=expand#24
And don't forget the "Toy tugs:" Sections: Springer Tugs &  Seaport Tugs!

And of course No Mustang Mark's: Model Tug Forum - http://modeltugforum.com/

"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

norry

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #16 on: May 26, 2008, 07:03:26 pm »

... Thanks Martin, For putting this section back on the Forum...

...Right guys...Lets get using the section now that we have it back...

...Best Regards...Norry...

ministeve

• Full Mayhemer
  • washing the decks!!!
« Reply #17 on: May 26, 2008, 08:46:44 pm »

thanks martin you really are THE MAN or like a god with a laptop ;D ;D

poll

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #18 on: May 26, 2008, 11:22:13 pm »

Thanks Martin I'am glad it's back.

John                      POLL

BlazingPenguin

« Reply #19 on: May 28, 2008, 12:13:14 pm »

Ahaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!

The bouys are back in tow...N!

That looked like an interesting thread development that kinda got lost in the reinstatement of the TT section...
When does a 'TOY' become what most accept as being a 'normal' model boat.

By that I dont mean whats simply popular at the time and can be elevated to full 'model' status, if yu get my meaning.
In my view....(stand back)...the Dickie IS a toy boat, BUT is worthy of spending some time on, with the result having the chance of looking very smart.
The little RNLI boat is much the same...a toy, BUT has possibilities.
Springers ?, not a toy and having seen pics of the real things, very much a normal model boat, however the wide range of very amusing variations on these can float her gently into the 'novelty' class of model boats....gotta be better than that bl***y duck!!!

So, how about a list on Martins main page of candidates that are suitable for conversion ?
A poll on which boat is a toy or not, may well come across as 'slagging off' someones pride and joy, but the light hearted discussion for which this forum is famous is what keeps us coming back....well me anyway.  ;D

dougal99

• Full Mayhemer
  • Huntingdon, Cambs, England
« Reply #20 on: May 28, 2008, 01:05:38 pm »

Can we define Toy:police:  Many people, poor benighted souls, would class any model boat, not in a museum, as a toy.  >>:-( Then there's the phrase 'big boys' toys' what does that cover?

Just remember: one man's meat...

Doug
Don't Assume Check

towtug

« Reply #21 on: June 06, 2008, 10:05:55 pm »

In my considered opinion a toy, with particular reference to a model boat, is an item purchased from a toy shop in a ready to run unit requiring only the charging of the batteries and then place it in the water. It will run at way above scale speed for a sufficiently long time to encourage the young operator to use it until it goes out of range of the unspecified crystal in the transmitter and dies. Alternatively in the cautious hands of Dad will run out of power inches beyond arms length just prior to the breeze picking up and blowing it to the center of the pond as Mum decides it is time to go home.
Result, owner in :'( and boatless,Dad :embarrassed: and out of pocket, Mum >>:-( say no more and little sister {-) clutching dolly and asking for a new pram. Another bubbing boater bits the dust.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.095 seconds with 22 queries.