Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Looks like good fun !  (Read 1954 times)

john54

Looks like good fun !
« on: May 25, 2008, 02:26:28 pm »

Watched a lawnmower race @ Romsey fair this morning.
Do not realise  they were that quick  :)
Anybody on here dabbled ?

catengineman

Re: Looks like good fun !
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2008, 04:00:44 pm »

Did a few mod's for a charity gymkhana in Kent about eight years ago but thought that it was a daft idea which would never catch on so never carried on with the work. >:(

Spent ALL day at the local park covered in oil and exhaust stink from a Brigs and Stratton, still I think it was fun at the time.
If I can find the cine film and get it put to digi I will see if I can post it.

The drum cutter had to be removed but the shape kept and the rule on gearing was "whatever worked use" the type they use now are soooo much better, the two I did the mod's on were "Suffolk Super Punch's" and the seat was a roller with a small lump of wood supported by angle iron. (not comfortable in any condition let alone when riding around a bumpy old field.

R,

alan colson

• Full Mayhemer
  • I Just Dabble In Model Boats
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2008, 04:15:33 pm »

Seen it a few times at Laughton Coutry Fair in Sussex and Springbok Estate, Alfold in Surrey. I would love to have had a go many years ago, the back would not stand up to it now, they get shaken to bits. The home of lawnmower racing used to be in a pub in Wisbourgh Green in Sussex, they hold a championship and I think still hold a 24 hour race.

catengineman

« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2008, 04:33:24 pm »

I've watched several races and they get faster and faster.

as I said the first time it was not very hi-tec and the seat was at waist hight, cornering was done at the slowest speed possible {-)

Seeing this post has brought back some fond memories (thanks) by the way "The Dashwood Daredevils" failed to finish the chain drive to the roller drum snapped. I don't think it was designed to do what was asked of it that day {-)

I'm off to search the attic for a super 8 cine film O0

If I'm not back soon send out the search party

R,

meechingman

• Full Mayhemer
  • Tugs Rule, OK!
    • Andrew Gilbert
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2008, 08:38:13 pm »

Been to the one at Wisborough Green a few times years ago. My then brother-in-law was a mower racer. Good fun day out and, boy, did they take it seriously!
Admiral of the Haven Towage Fleet.

catengineman

« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2008, 08:47:06 pm »

Duhh Spanner has just read over my shoulder and said ...... yes ..... wait for it

" thats daft! the wires will get tangled up, and where they gonna get the electric from?  its a joke isn't it?

OK send the men with white coats round,

not for her  ME ..... save me help and yes I now have several bruises

R,

dougal99

• Full Mayhemer
  • Huntingdon, Cambs, England
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2008, 01:52:35 pm »

" thats daft! the wires will get tangled up, and where they gonna get the electric from?  its a joke isn't it?

Doh,  has she never heard of batteries!  ::) ::) ::) :D
Don't Assume Check

catengineman

« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2008, 06:03:09 pm »

I have to be carefull what I write "I have my own personal moderator now" :'( So I have to tell you all that my wife IS NOT BLONDE and as our mower is electric etc etc. as for batteries they are for things like my toy boat  :'( :'(
(not allowed to call it by any other name)  :embarrassed:

Much groverling will be done and loveliness lavished upon spanner to pay for my remark
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.093 seconds with 22 queries.