Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Mayhem post modification policy....  (Read 5177 times)

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
Mayhem post modification policy....
« on: May 23, 2008, 08:43:54 am »

Reckon we should all be allowed to alter our posting like Admin when we have made ourselves look a p***t. ;)
Richard Solent Radio Controlled Model Boat Club http://www.srcmbc.org.uk

barryfoote

« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2008, 12:20:09 pm »

Reckon we should all be allowed to alter our posting like Admin when we have made ourselves look a p***t. ;)

Good point Richard.....Martin should replace his original to keep the follow up in context......Made me lok a right p**t.........Mind you that ain't difficult :D

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2008, 12:28:56 pm »

The short post modification policy was introduced to allow correction of spelling and grammar etc.
after posting but limited to 30 minutes.

This was introduced after "certain" post were modified 'after the fact', sometimes to make oneself
look innocent after flame wars broke out or modified or deleted after careful reflection... when the
hangover had gone!

If anyone wants a post modified, changed, corrected even deleted, all anyone has to do is PM me and
I've always done it. But as this an open forum, what’s your thoughts?

"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

Guy Bagley

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Mayhem post modification policy....
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2008, 02:01:54 pm »

i think the 30 minute policy is fine, i have posted on forums ( not just this one) and suddenly noticed after posting that maybe i put a decimal point in the wrong place or maybe i made a daft typo error.... so the ability to go back and modify is a good one and i think it works well....

as martin says if you need to modify any post you can always private message him too.....
all in all its just another brick in the wall......

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2008, 02:10:47 pm »

I reckon what is good for the goose is good for the gander. If we mere mortals should only get 30 minutes to change things so should Martin and his henchmen.  ;)

Shipmate60

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • You bark - I will bite!!!
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2008, 02:21:37 pm »

So glad I am a "Henchman" now, is that one up or down from an ex Nightclub Bouncer!!
DickyD you know full well why the rule was introduced, and it has been patiently explained by Martin.
But you already know why it was introduced as we had several discussions on this topic when it was introduced.
So why resurrect this topic up AGAIN.

Bob
Officially a GOG.

HS93 (RIP)

• Full Mayhemer
  • I cannot spell , tough
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2008, 03:04:03 pm »

I think its one of the best things that has happend on this site, funny there seems to have been no Major wars since the introduction , I can remember some when the next morning after one of the "discussions " there was only half the posts left and all the posts that caused the problems in the first place where gone.

Peter

Peter Fitness

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2008, 03:57:32 pm »

I believe the 30 minute rule is fine, and like Guy, I have used it to correct a stupid spelling, or other type of mistake I've made in some of my posts.
Peter.

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2008, 05:59:26 pm »

So glad I am a "Henchman" now, is that one up or down from an ex Nightclub Bouncer!!
DickyD you know full well why the rule was introduced, and it has been patiently explained by Martin.
But you already know why it was introduced as we had several discussions on this topic when it was introduced.
So why resurrect this topic up AGAIN.

Bob
EXCUSE ME. I did not resurrect this again, Martin did when he altered his original posting on another topic then moved my posting and Footski's out of context to start this topic so get off your high horse and stop assuming its always me that causes the problems. Have a go at Martin. >>:-( >>:-(

Made it to 80 (25p Richer now)

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2008, 06:17:11 pm »

Now Now CHILDREN play nicely
I'm not old I'm mature middle aged

barryfoote

« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2008, 08:09:23 pm »

Flip....I am on your side again Richard.

Having read Martins errors in typing, I made a cutting comment about it, all in good fun you understand........Minutes later, Martins original error is wiped out, making my comments look stupid..........Surely if the 30 minute rule is applied then follow up whittisisms ( or however you spell it) should also be removed as otherwise they are just plain daft....

Now lets keep it light boys!!! 8) 8) 8)

OMK

« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2008, 08:27:15 pm »

Way to go, DickyD!
It's usually I who gets in the neck; always being accused of something or another, or folk generally misconstruing whatever I say.
Bummer, eh?
Welcome to the club.

You make a good point, though. For instance, on several occasions the phone has rang while I've been typing. Sometimes the conversation can drag on for more than 30 Min's or so. By the time I returned to the keyboard all my edited typing would suddenly disappear somewhere in cyberspace.
Personally, it would be much better if was put back to how it was initially. But can we mere minnions be trusted with all that power? Can we be trusted to edit/amend/delete our own posts' at will?
I hate to ruin your day, old chip, but it ain't likely to happen.
Why?
Well think about it... Would you like it if you had all that control over people, then suddenly be told to relinquish that control? I mean, think about them poor old henchmen for a moment. Wouldn't it be a little cruel to pull the plug on all their fun?

Oh... and that new grey background colour on the preview pages........ Not good is it?

And there, my man, goes just about any chance I'll ever have of winning a Mayhem medal. (Sob!).

banjo

« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2008, 09:09:01 pm »

should that be "p***k" then? or is it "p***t" with two "t"s ?

{-)

I might  change this in a minute or two....

{-) {-) {-)

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2008, 09:17:40 pm »

PMK never mind mate you can share mine and Barry's medals.

Banjo everyone knows you dont spell p***t with a k, and  whats this "I'll might change" should that not be without two "l"s ?

banjo

« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2008, 09:19:09 pm »

;D
 {-)
 O0

OMK

« Reply #15 on: May 23, 2008, 10:11:29 pm »

Re: medals. Thanks for your offer, amigo, but guess who I had a visit from t'other night? Yeah, you know her... that sinfully baaaaad lady. She brought me a wee gift - all the way from Palm Island, Dubai. Which kinda makes up for the medal (or lack of, in this case).

Now don't have a pop at me, but your spelling has come on leaps and bounds from whence we first started out here.
Like I said, no offence - just a bit of well-deserved acknowledgement, is all.
Talking of which......

Young johnny answers a knock at the door.

"Hello, young man. Can I have a word with your mother, please?"
"Nah - she is dead."
"What do you mean, she is dead? Where is your grammar?"
"She is dead an' all."

And I'm waaaaaaay off topic now. Sorrie!

(PMK - ever such a smart-alec because I managed to type all them words, all on my own, without hitting 'Modify' once.)

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #16 on: May 24, 2008, 04:01:14 am »

I am writing to give a little more background surrounding the 30 minute rule. :angel:

I hope the angel emoticon can set the tone, a friendly one (not scolding)

Firstly I would like to say it is not about control. Adults should be able to control themselves and their postings. Some cannot ::), and that is why every site needs moderation. :police:

Secondly, there needs to be some accountability. The open ended edit system was abused, mostly by one individual (you know who you are), and that is why the 30 minute rule was introduced. So now errant members are more accountable than they were before, and perhaps there are some that don't like it, for exactly this reason.

Thirdly, being a moderator is not a power trip, nor is it done for fun, it is more of a duty that all the moderators take seriously. This is our unpaid voluntary time, sometimes into the small hours. We do it for the benefit of the members, not our own benefit. Dealing with these flame wars, has in the past, taken up a lot of this time. Since the 30 minute rule was introduced there is less time spent dealing with needless flame wars.

In the end flame wars only damage Mayhem. this reflects on all of us (members), and keeps away others who have a valuable contribution to make to the Mayhem community. Several valued members have left because of the unrestrained postings of a few. As such I think the loss of the ability to edit ones own posts, without the help of a moderator, after 30 minutes is a small price to pay.

We do recognise that there is sometimes a problem with loss of context (which may cause embarrassment – Sorry Footski), and we try to avoid this, but we are not perfect. Sometimes you may realise that what you thought was a good thing to post last night seems not so good in the cold light of day. So please, if this happens, let us know and we can make the necessary changes to the post in question. Just let us know the thread, the reply#, and what the problem is.

Sorry if this is a long post,
Thanks for taking the time to read it
Mark
Aka TT
The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

OMK

« Reply #17 on: May 24, 2008, 05:40:27 am »

"Secondly, there needs to be some accountability. The open ended edit system was abused, mostly by one individual..."

But the option you have chosen now means everyone else loses out just because of that one individual.
So couldn't it be argued that it would have been better to simply ban said miscreant from the off? Or maybe even put the 30-minute rule to the vote before just tarring us all with the same brush, so to speak?
Do you think that maybe, just maybe, most members are quite capable on their own of spotting an idiot from a thousand paces? Meaning, can we not just go about the business of deleting/amending our own post, rather than go all around the houses and pestering you guys to do the same simple job? Wouldn't your already-over-stressed time and efforts be better spent on deleting potential flare-ups at the first sign of one raising its ugly head? After all, this 30-Minute rule isn't working out so good. Already it's been proven to cause more problems than were there initially. Can all the moderators get together and have a rethink about this? Like Martin said earlier, this is an open forum, and he did ask for our thoughts.
For my part I just wish you would put things back to how they were before the idiots started abusing the system. For me, and loads of others here, having the ability to do our own thing was like a lifeline. So don't take that away just because one or two berks caused a bit of a flap.

You though, you're okay. You're not at all condescending like some moderators here. Colin Bish' is another okay sort. Can you two not get together and have a word in Martin's shell-like? And while you're at it, can you have a word with the rest of the Mods' and ask that they at least have the decency to try to use a bit of punctuation every once in a while? It don't half look bad when someone in authority starts spouting from his high horse, yet cannot even recognise the importance bog-standard basic grammar. Things are getting almost as dumbed down as that so-called rival 'forum'.

PS.
Even the Preview page is timing-out after thirty minutes. Now that IS a pain in the backside!

Double PS.
I just noticed that the whacky grey background on the Preview page has been restored back to its usual blue colour.
Nice one!

OMK

« Reply #18 on: May 24, 2008, 06:23:40 am »

Rats!
I just noticed a typo near the end of that 2nd paragraph.
I'm too pig-headed to go back and fix it because it means that embarrassing tell-tale "Last edit: Today at..." will be there - showing the whole world that I'm not such a hot-shot exponent of the English grammaticals after all.

<The ubiquitous edit>:

What's that you say?
T'ch!... okay then.......

Stick an "of" between 'importance' and 'bog-standard'.

barryfoote

« Reply #19 on: May 24, 2008, 07:39:33 am »

TT and PMK,

Just love you guys.....Open debate....great fun...

OMK

« Reply #20 on: May 24, 2008, 08:05:25 am »

G'morning, Mr Footski. You're up and about bright and early.
Yep - we love us, too. As a matter of fact, I Rx'ed some neat news yesterday. I been feeling pretty high since, so I'll even go so far as saying we love you and all - even if you ain't as pretty as your missus <wink!>.
How you doing, amigo? How's that boat of yours coming along? You got the P94 in there yet?
Lovely paintjob, by the way.

So how is sunny Spain today? It's raining here in Somerset. Let's hope it stays dry for the Mayhemers at the Wicksteed bash.

barryfoote

« Reply #21 on: May 24, 2008, 09:12:45 am »

PMK

Yes up early......cat woke me up wanting food!!!!

Glad to see things are on the up for you. Feeling better?? As for not being pretty....well what can I say except you are right...P94 is in and I am hoping to put her on the water for initial trials later today, fingers crossed for that one. Warm and sunny here again today so no weather problem...

I do hope all goes well and please pass on my regards to all the Mayhemmers. I will be thinking of you all as I sit at the side of the pool, drinking something cool and hopefully watching the Lady T chug around!!!!(Rather be at Wicksteed).

Hasta Lluego amigo..
Barry

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #22 on: May 24, 2008, 09:49:46 am »

Hi PMK

Unfortunately it only takes a few idiots to spoil something for the rest of us. A sad truth.

In reality the 30 minute time window is working very well, and has cut the workload substantially. There are only a few requests for changes after the fact and we are happy to assist.

The policy has been in place for a while now, and this is the first time anybody has raised it as a problem. The timing is also unfortuante as Martin is fully tied up at the Mayhem bash. Not your fault PMK, you didn't start it.

Regards
Mark

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #23 on: May 24, 2008, 09:56:40 am »

Good god man, Martin started it, does no one  listen. He took Barry's and my jokey remarks from another topic and put them out of context and started this new topic.

Could the moderators close this topic do you think before it causes any more hassle.

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #24 on: May 24, 2008, 09:59:52 am »

Topic locked till after the weekend.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.102 seconds with 22 queries.