Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: help identifying porthole/window frame - Thunderbirds  (Read 24617 times)

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
Re: help identifying porthole/window frame - Thunderbirds
« Reply #25 on: May 29, 2008, 03:15:44 pm »

Hi Mike,

As youknow EVERYTHING Thunderbirds... and actually done it! Do you have any information
regarding the ship Ocean Pioneer featured in episodes 19 "Danger at Ocean Deep?"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ok65WXVavUA

I'll probably never get round to building a model of her but it would look good on the water....  O0

"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

Mike D

« Reply #26 on: May 29, 2008, 03:24:41 pm »

I havent actually built anything yet, only research :)

yeah, one thing I remember my dad banging on about when I was a kid, that a fully laden ship wouldnt be that far out the water  :)

actually, there where 2 scales built. the main large one which I think was destroyed in filming as it blew up,

but..... there was a smaller scale one for distance shots, which actually still survives in the collection of Phil Rae I believe an avid Anderson collector, there is very little that still survive from Thunderbirds, as most things where either blown up, savaged and changed into other things for other programmes and episodes, or more than likely, thrown in a skip when the studio closed in 69 :( it was also used in a background scene in Captain scarlet, will get some pics up tonight when Im back home

its a great looking ship, as you say would look great as an working RC model, I could try and find out if theyres drawings to help build her, fittings on it are more than likely from Ripmax, ie malcoms, reade models. the music as its sailing along from Stingray is great I think too.

theres also a shot of it being filmed in Derek Meddings book, will get a scan of that also

Mike

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #27 on: May 29, 2008, 03:40:12 pm »

Ref the Ladder.

Did this melt in the scene? If not it may be die cast.

How big is it? approx. This may give a scale that could help track it down. e.g. if it is 1:50 it isn't airfix. This may be tricky, but if yu know the size fo adjacent pieces and you can get a view of the width of the ladder (then ask a fireman how wide a ladder is/was), you can guestimate it.

I remeber that Dinky did a Dennis fire truck in the 60s, but fire tucks and turntable ladders were very popular toys in the 60s and 70s. Many of these toys were not scale so the symetrical trellis is not an issue. But if it is to scale, you are in with a chance of finding that scale (see above).
The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

Mike D

« Reply #28 on: May 29, 2008, 04:01:19 pm »

nope it never melted and was used in quite a few close fire scenes, although the box thing on top did melt which made me think the ladder was metal, maybe diecast, tinplate, or it looks aluminum to me?, think it could be either a japanese toy or american?

no idea of scale, although model cars used in the same scenes as it was 1/25. Ive estimated the ladder, when down was about 20 inches long

if you compare the box on the top of the ladder in these 2 shots,you can see how the box has melted  :)

Mike

Mike D

« Reply #29 on: May 29, 2008, 05:55:58 pm »

here is a link to a great site, with all the model boats in from Thunderbirds, and what they where made of

http://www.supermarionation.tv/sfx/tbirds/models6.html

my favourite is the hydrofoil rescue boat O0

Mike

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #30 on: May 29, 2008, 06:23:06 pm »

Re: Ocean Pioneer

Does Phil Rae have a website?
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

Mike D

« Reply #31 on: May 29, 2008, 06:47:32 pm »

Im not to sure to be honest Martin

although I have seen pics of his collection a few times on the supermationation.tv site and also eagletransporter.co.uk/forum

will find the links

:)

Mike

Mike D

« Reply #32 on: May 29, 2008, 11:06:58 pm »

heres some screengrabs from Captain Scarlet with Ocean Pioneer in the background as a model ship at a ship launch, think this will be the small scale model, as the puppets in Captain Scarlet where a lot smaller than the Thunderbirds ones

and a behind the scenes picture, filming Ocean Pioneer launch,only the side that is being filmed has been painted,  and also a model maker working on Lady Penelopes yacht Fab2

Mike

djrobbo

« Reply #33 on: May 29, 2008, 11:25:46 pm »

Hi mike...glad the ports arrived o.k.............glaqd to be of help.

regards...bob.

Mike D

« Reply #34 on: May 30, 2008, 12:14:05 am »

thanks again Bob O0 really saved the day there :)

with regard the Ocean Pioneer, apologise, it does still survive, the small model, but not in the Phil Rae collection, its known that it is owned by a collector in Canada, dont know anything more than that Im afraid, although there is pics of it at conventions over the years, heres one in 1979

Mike

Mike D

« Reply #35 on: May 30, 2008, 02:36:25 pm »

I have a feeling, that this... could be the toy fire engine, converted to a truck once theyd pinched the ladder from it, as they never seemed to let anything go to waste.

anyone recognise what this is, recognise the cab?
its got the look of a toy to me, especially the wheels

cheers

Mike

Mike D

« Reply #36 on: May 31, 2008, 10:20:02 am »

Ive done a quick cut and shut, to see if it looks like a fire engine, anyone recognise it?
all suggestions welcome

cheers

Mike

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #37 on: June 05, 2008, 12:51:41 pm »

Sorry, a bit off topic but I've found a giant working model of Thunderbird 4 on YouTube!

http://youtube.com/watch?v=CuBPX4BtLoA

Mike D

« Reply #38 on: June 19, 2008, 07:44:22 pm »

excellent, would love one in the future,

the old window has been temporarily fitted to the helijet model, just like the studio model had, really happy, thanks again guys, when theres more progress Ill update,

all this great info has also helped other people who like to build replicas of "The Mole" find the correct circular porthole theyve been searching for for ages, luckily theyre still available from Reade models

cheers

Mike

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #39 on: June 19, 2008, 11:08:47 pm »

What was 'the Mole' based on?

Mike D

« Reply #40 on: June 19, 2008, 11:38:24 pm »

think the best way to answer that Martin is to look here

http://www.martinbowersmodelworld.com/html/the_mole.html

Mike

Mike D

« Reply #41 on: June 23, 2008, 12:58:05 am »

I thought you guys may be interested to see some screengrabs of the model ships and vessels from Stingray where theyve used reade models (ripmax) boat window fittings on them...

Mike

SteamboatPhil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #42 on: June 23, 2008, 01:34:06 pm »

Hi Mike D
Just as a little more info (which may or may not help) I was working as one of the model makers on Alien (the first) which we shot at Bray Studios next to Anderson / Burr studio, which at the time were making "Terrorhawks", now back to the story. We used to use lots (and I do mean lots) of plastic kits, mainly tank parts as they have great little / large odd looking bits, when not connected to make a tank. I gather that that is how Gerry Anderson worked, along with anything that was lying around the studios, if a knob looks like a tooth paste tube cap, then it was a tooth paste tube cap. So chances are when you are making your models you may have to look no further than the contents of your abode.
Steamed up all the time

Mike D

« Reply #43 on: July 13, 2010, 03:22:45 pm »

Hi Guys

I said I would come back to let you know how I got on

the helijet that uses the the ripmax window isnt quite finished just yet, just need to find one bit for it and itll be in primer soon.

the fire engines I have nearly finished over the last few months, I managed to find the 1960s spice canisters and the toy fire engine ladder!

Im now moving onto this hydrofoil boat, I think it has ripmax fittings, I think the white handrails may be old ripmax? does anyone have a scan of an old ripmax catalogue pleas?
it was based on a toy by victory.http://madmalc.screaming.net/1960.htm
I could do with some advice on how to construct hydrofoils for it, the original was pulled along by a trolley underneath and so didnt have any hydrofoils but Ill need to make them...

cheers

Mike

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #44 on: July 13, 2010, 04:21:22 pm »

Cool nostalgia trip :-)) :-))
The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

jonny shoreboy

« Reply #45 on: July 13, 2010, 08:13:28 pm »

WOW! I can't believe I missed this thread! I loved Thunderbirds/Captain Scarlet/UFO/Space 1999 and the Terrahawks.

I'm sorry to report that all that stuff was actually real and when I was younger and the teacher was asking the other children what they wanted to be when they grew up (Doctor,Cowboy,Tiger etc) I reported that I wanted to be the thunderbird pilot for thunderbird 3 (because it kind of looked like the Liberator aka Blake's 7)..

As for the models, I really liked the Concorde/Firefly? superjet thing that had to land on the little flat trucks... that was cool... Perhaps I could make one out of a Concorde model..

Guy Bagley

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #46 on: July 13, 2010, 11:16:51 pm »

Hi Mike D
Just as a little more info (which may or may not help) I was working as one of the model makers on Alien (the first) which we shot at Bray Studios next to Anderson / Burr studio, which at the time were making "Terrorhawks", now back to the story. We used to use lots (and I do mean lots) of plastic kits, mainly tank parts as they have great little / large odd looking bits, when not connected to make a tank. I gather that that is how Gerry Anderson worked, along with anything that was lying around the studios, if a knob looks like a tooth paste tube cap, then it was a tooth paste tube cap. So chances are when you are making your models you may have to look no further than the contents of your abode.

oh yes i can vouch for that, i refurbished some of the terrahawk models about 20 years ago when i worked for a modelmakers near oxford.... !!!!- and there was all sorts of bits n bobs in there, the sort of bits you find in a kitchen drawer !!!= best bit was returning fully refurbished 'zeros' back to sylvia anderson personally !
all in all its just another brick in the wall......

Mike D

« Reply #47 on: July 14, 2010, 01:22:44 am »

thanks fellas

just realised its 2 years since I posted this asking for help.

the model making side didnt take that long it was just collecting all the bits together that took an age

cheers

Mike

Mike D

« Reply #48 on: July 14, 2010, 11:32:56 am »

heres the boat that will become the hydrofoil rescue boat...

the battery case top,looks like it was stuck on the rear, the life ring on top is from the red amphicar toy which became the fire engine.
and Im pretty sure they used parts from a helicopter kit that they used plenty of for the front hydrofoil struts(is that the correct term?)

apart from that it looks like it had ripmax air vents on the rear, and also white 3 railed railings, which may either be ripmax or could be model railway fencing?

cheers

Mike

lifeboatpaul

« Reply #49 on: July 14, 2010, 11:48:16 am »

Hi Mike,

I was discussing this thread just the other day with Delboy-1958 , I was brought up on thunderbirds -sunday lunch was even delayed so me and my Dad could watch it while I always asked "could happen in real life"   anyway do you display any of your models at shows as I would love to see them one day

P/S thunderbird 2 always did it for me ! :-))

Paul.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up

Page created in 0.095 seconds with 22 queries.