Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Scrapheap Challenge - Fast boats?  (Read 2063 times)

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
Scrapheap Challenge - Fast boats?
« on: June 01, 2008, 06:49:51 pm »

Just watched Scrapheap Challenge (Channel 4 - http://www.channel4.com/science/microsites/S/scrapheap2008/index.html)

One of the teams actually built a power boat that actually worked!!!!  {-)

http://www.channel4.com/science/microsites/S/scrapheap2008/challenges/powerboats/index.html
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

John W E

• I see no ships !!
  • Full Mayhemer
Re: Scrapheap Challenge - Fast boats?
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2008, 07:13:32 pm »

Hi ya

Yes I saw most of Scrapheap Challenge - I just turned the television on when the presenter was speaking with Gina Campbell (Donald Campbell's daughter).   Did you notice the model of bluebird at her feet and also Mr Whoppit - dont think that was the original Mr Whoppit in her hand, but not sure.   

Yes Big V.6 engine, plenty of power, didnt half make those barrels shift.

aye
john e
bluebird
Knowledge begins with respect
But fools hate wisdom and discipline

gribeauval

• Full Mayhemer
  • Tidy Bench -Tidy Mind, Messy Bench - BUSY!!
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2008, 08:11:56 pm »

Gina Campbell said that was the original Mr Whoppit that was floating on the lake after the crash.

Mike
True Lifeboat Nutter!!

John W E

• I see no ships !!
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2008, 10:05:55 am »

Hi ya there

Mike, thanks for that, as I said, I didnt actually see the beginning of the programme and I would have liked to have heard what Gina said - did she speak much about Bluebird.

I know when I visited Coniston in the Lake District UK and the museum dedicated to Donald Campbell and Bluebird, you could purchase a Mr Whoppit reproduction - sorry I didnt get meself one now - next time  O0   

I know I must go back to Holker Hall and the Museum because they have a full scale replica of Bluebird, or did have, the one the BBC used for the programme Across the Lake.

I dont know how people feel about them raising the wreck of the original Bluebird from Coniston - I have mixed thoughts and feelings - one half of me says its a grave,  it should have been left and treat as such  -  the other part of me says well...now that they have brought the wreck to the surface, it should have been left as it is and stabilised to avoid deterioration and maybe put on show alongside a full scale replica of her.

A bit off topic there, but a topic close to me heart.

Aye
John
Knowledge begins with respect
But fools hate wisdom and discipline

johno 52-11

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model lifeboats built to perform
    • lifeboat Models
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2008, 11:54:34 am »

John you can watch the programme on-line here http://www.channel4.com/watch_online/ for the next 7 days.

explorer750

« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2008, 06:20:05 pm »

The other boat failed at the first huddle, the weight was too far back for a 3 point hydroplane. The engine was right at the back.

As far as I understand the c of g should be just behind the front planning surfaces.

andyn

« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2008, 09:06:40 pm »

That Bluebird at her feet is turbine powered and made by www.speedline-models.com. If you read all the article there you will see that it was the one she had and is £700 quid I think, made special order only.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.096 seconds with 22 queries.