Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Made In China Pre Build Speed Boat  (Read 6525 times)

daverolph

Made In China Pre Build Speed Boat
« on: May 24, 2008, 03:29:15 pm »

I am a bit embarassed posting this one.

We have made a few scale boats and next week will be the first time we sail Valhalla (Danny Boy from Mountfleet Models).

No No I am not embarrassed about that one !

My Son got a new speedboat for christmas (Maplins Job) , it looks the business :-

Twin prop
7.2 Nicad plus charger and remote.

Trouble is we just tried this for the first time and there is a problem.

After much messing about we realized that we can make it work by getting the transmitter within about 6 inches of the ariel - any further away and it won't work.

We have loads of transmitters kicking around but non that are the 40.68 Mhz !

Is it the transmitter or the receiver or can't we tell ?

TIA

Dave

andyn

Re: Made In China Pre Build Speed Boat
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2008, 07:44:23 pm »

Please read http://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=6830.0

This is for the same thing.   O0

daverolph

« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2008, 08:34:03 am »

This problem is happening at home without any other RC in sight.

I have checked all ariel connections in TX & RX but all look OK.

Looks like I am going to have to fork our for a new TX & RX which will probably cost more than the boat was bought for.

andyn

« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2008, 02:00:55 pm »

There could be a break in the receiver wire, try replacing it with an equal legnth of stranded core wire

daverolph

« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2008, 04:32:40 pm »

I tried that TBH

Now I have used one of his old remote control cars TX & RX and it works a treat.

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2008, 04:57:25 pm »

Sounds like you might have to analyse the problem and decide which part is faulty. Is there any way you can try someone else's transmitter with the same crystals?

The next test will decide on the result. Try changing the crystals to a different frequency pair to yours.

This way, you will know where the fault lies.

All the best

Ken

Despite the high cost of living   .......... It remains popular

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2008, 05:00:35 pm »

I recently bought a "toy boat" off ebay... after a lot of faffing about with the same problem,
it turned out that the boat and transmitter were marked 27MHz, but the boat was actuality 40MHz when I opened it up!
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

daverolph

« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2008, 05:17:35 pm »

Hi Martin - would that have given it the same effect ? I would have thought you would get nothing at all if they were the wrong set

Anyway I am not sure there was much more I could do.

I don't know anyone with anything similar and we have all sorts of remote control stuff but nothing that was on the same frequency.

Now that I have pinched the RC bits from a broken remote control car it goes really well (once I learned that I wasn't to wire the right motor to the right controller !! I just didn't think !).

One slight problem with the new RC is that the range is pretty small - about 10 meters but the car was never that good anyway.

I wonder if I could get any more out of it ?

The aerial on the Transmitter is about 1 ft long (one of single pieces of coat hanger type wires !)

Bill D203

• Full Mayhemer
  • not long now!!
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2008, 05:37:13 pm »

Hello.
Why are you all going on about this boat? If you pay peanuts for a boat then don't expect it to have a range more then 10 ft. On a good day with the wind in it's favour.
Almost every week at our lake someone turns up with one of these type of boats. Funny we only ever see then once? If you want a cheap RC boat, then try a club 500. They run on "Normal 27/ 40MHz gear. Standard 540 motors and cheap 7.2 v cells. Hours of fun.
Whats more they can go all over the lake with no radio cut out.
Roll On Mayday. Im off for a pint.   How Much!!!   WHEN do you need it!     No dear!    Yes dear??   Wot Now???  soon to be EX Chairman SMBC

daverolph

« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2008, 02:58:20 am »

Bill, The original boat it cost £40 and while we normally spend around £100 just on RC for the bigger boats I would still not say this was peanuts.

I originally came here for advice on what was wrong with it.

After a few responses it looked liked I wasn't going to be able to resolve the problem and so after hours of messing about I managed to get it "working" by using an old RC kit from a Tyco TC car and yes this not ideal and the reason the range is so small.

I do thank you for the post however because you gave me something else to look at and I have never seen a club 500.

My luck just gets better, after getting the "speed boat" running I decided to move onto the Severn Trent Lifeboat also from Maplins and a boat that we have used once but was very good with a long range, now that has a ceased motor.

Looks like my idea of getting the kids a model boat to play with while I play with the big one is just not going to work I might have to share !

This is the boat we are taking away with us, we staying in our caravan right by the side of a quiet canal.

http://www.dave.rolph.com/model/model_index.htm

I looked at the Club 500 and it is interesting and even in the same place as me (Barnsley) but I see that it costs £38 and then you still have to buy the RC kit so I imagine this is would cost over £100 to get it into the water, I guess a lot of people would stick with using  "peanuts" for a boat for the kids and so I am sure there will be more people like me in the future so please go easy on them.

Cheers

Dave

andygh

« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2008, 07:02:59 am »

Almost every week at our lake someone turns up with one of these type of boats. Funny we only ever see then once?

Maybe if you offered them a bit of gentle guidance & helpful advice you'd see them more than once  :'(. New recruits to the hobby, of any age, must be good news for everyone

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2008, 07:04:25 am »

Steady on Bill, Dave did say, "My Son got a new speedboat for Christmas (Maplins Job)...."

I have found Maplins ready to sort out and change things if they still look new or are in the box but as it's been 'modified', it's a bit late now.

Club 500 racing is a good starting class for racing and is great fun even in small groups and must be the cheapest form of model boat racing.

http://www.modelslipway.com/club500.htm
http://www.glue-it.com/boats/gallery/club500.html
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

Bill D203

• Full Mayhemer
  • not long now!!
« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2008, 09:31:52 am »

Hi All
Yes your all right. Sorry. ps I have just been on e bay and you can get a 27 mhz radio set up + servos for less then £40.00 and a VSC for £ 10.00. You all have a good day. O0
Roll On Mayday. Im off for a pint.   How Much!!!   WHEN do you need it!     No dear!    Yes dear??   Wot Now???  soon to be EX Chairman SMBC

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2008, 10:40:02 am »

Hi daverolph,  I see in part of your posting that you have a RNLI lifeboat with seized motor.  I have had this problem and it needs some oil down the motor shaft  and wait a bit then carefully using pliers on the shaft work it loose and it should un seize.  My one seemed solidly seized but is now quite free.
hope this helps, Roy

andygh

« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2008, 12:39:45 pm »

A drop of diesel will un-cease anything

daverolph

« Reply #15 on: May 26, 2008, 01:12:53 pm »

Are you sure?

Not only is it seized it is totally black and rusty, it looks like it got wet.

I certainly don't mind having a bash

andygh

« Reply #16 on: May 26, 2008, 01:17:15 pm »

What've you got to lose, diesel will un-cease rusty tractor bolts so will sort a motor out for sure. Can't guarantee the motor Will be OK electrically mind   :(

daverolph

« Reply #17 on: May 26, 2008, 01:54:53 pm »

Thanks

Nothing to loose - it is already soaking away

Thanks again

andyn

« Reply #18 on: May 27, 2008, 04:27:49 pm »

Rust isn't a problem with motors, a few motnths ago while in the rescue boat I fished out 2 of these rtr boats from the side of the water, caught in the wire mesh. one was a 'bat boat' and had a battery and 2 motors in it. The other had just a motor in. A bloke at the club took both home with him, soaked the motors in WD40 and they work, and the battery just needed a new connector and some cycling to get it into shape. He now uses the battery in his club 500. as for what Bill said, I totally agree with him, as i reckon if you go above 80 odd quid for a club 500 youve gone wrong somewhere.

Kit - £38
Radio - £5 2ch from Howes Models
ESC- £16 from time tunnel
RX - £5 from time tunnel
Servo - £6.50 from Mainly Models
Batteries -£6 apiece for 1400's

Total so far - £76.50. This is off the top of my head, and i could guarantee you I could get it down a long way if I shopped around.

And you know what, some of these simply rubbish rtr boats detract from the experience of rc boating with all of their problems such the radio cut outs, lack of speed, awful turning, lack of range etc. Like Bill says, we never see them again (the owners) because the boats are simply awful on the water. If you want a cheap boat, a club 500 is the way to go. They are relatively fast, turn well, last a long time, have almost unlimited range, are easy to build, easy to control, and so far in the 2 years i've been at the club, and doing the rescue boat, only one has ever been rescued due to someone crashing it into the side.

Also, on http://www.astecmodels.co.uk/products.php?posted=1&selection=hulls, there is some really cheap hulls.

As for discouraging people, we just tell them to keep right into the side, and leave them to it. After a short trip in the rescue boat, I bring them their models back and we explain to the the faults of their boats. we have even in the past given the owners (always small children) ago with a club 500. I know that a few weeks ago one of these people's parents afterwards decided that they were going to buy their child a club 500, so we gave them the website to go to. we never discourage these people in boating, only the rtr boats.

Sorry if this seems a bit aggressive, but my dentist has just put me in excruciating pain and has subsequently paralysed my face, so I need to vent my anger  >>:-(

Model_Slipway

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #19 on: May 27, 2008, 05:08:16 pm »

RE: Club 500. 

Alternatively a £1  ON/OFF switch from Maplins (instead of an ESC).

Jackie

andyn

« Reply #20 on: May 27, 2008, 05:17:41 pm »

Thats a good idea as you could have an inexpensive micro servo operating that switch.

Its nice to have proportional control though.

daverolph

« Reply #21 on: May 27, 2008, 05:51:48 pm »

Andy N Thanks so much for that detailed response.

I feel a little embarrassed now.

The last two models we spent way over that for the RC.

We have been buying Futaba Attack 2 with two servo's, TX & RX for between £40 and £50 am I right in thinking I can get the same from your details for £16.50 ?

Bill D203

• Full Mayhemer
  • not long now!!
« Reply #22 on: May 27, 2008, 06:33:34 pm »

Thanks Andy for your support.
I'm not trying to upset anyone. Just stop them from wasting there time and money.  Every week we see them don't we Andy. It's such a pity, as it has been pointed out we need more model boaters. Young & Old gits like me are all welcome If there boats are in working condition, and don't break the club rules.
Just for the record I don't have any invested interset in Club 500 boats. I have however seen many of them running and the look on peoples face's says it all.  ;D ;D ;D O0 FUN FUN FUN!
I started my boating with a plastic boat just over 2 years ago, and now I run a 54" 26cc OMRA boat. Thats how hooked I became.
Bill.

Bill D203

• Full Mayhemer
  • not long now!!
« Reply #23 on: May 27, 2008, 06:40:28 pm »

PS. Dave if you find a local MBC I think you will find alot of 27mhz sets going for a song. Every year at our AGM there is norm 4/5 set for sale.  O0

daverolph

« Reply #24 on: May 27, 2008, 08:32:34 pm »

Thanks Bill

You didn't upset me and I accept what you said, it was the bit about peanuts I didn't agree with.

If I knew a year ago what I know now I would have gone for Club 500 but the problem is by the time you give the advice its kind of too late for most people and I appreciate that's not your fault just let us down easy  ;)

We really should get ourselves to a club, with 3 fully built Mountfleet models we should be proud to show them off but this week will be the first time we put one in the water (apart from the bath) so let's be sure we won't be embarrassed !

Thanks to everyone that has replied to my posts recently we love this place !

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.1 seconds with 22 queries.