Technical, Techniques, Hints, and Tips > Engineering Techniques and Materials.

MDF

(1/4) > >>

Leaky:
we manufacture office doors where i work and i have access to a virtually unlimited supply of 3mm MDF sheet.Is this stuff a bad choice for internal use in a hull? Can i use it for such as non structural work and superstructure building and what can i do to make it more suited for marine use?(if possible) :-\

dougal99:
I used MDF for the keel and frames for a Brittany trawler. I have had no problems with the frames but despite covering the keel in resin, undercoat, paint and varnish I have had problems with water ingression causing the MDF to expand badly. I have recently repaired the keel, by cutting out the swollen area and replacing with plywood and car body filler, for the third time. If this doesn't work its permanent dry dock.  :'(

Moral: don't use MDF for parts/areas totally submerged.

HTH

Doug

Peter Fitness:
As you work with MDF, you will know how it hates water. You could use it internally, but it would need to be THOROUGHLY waterproofed, because the slightest amount of water will cause it to swell. My own method of waterproofing any timber I use in a hull is to coat it with fibreglass 2 part resin, both inside and out, which I have found to be extremely effective, and since using this method, I have never had a timber hull leak. Because we live in a warm climate, I reduce the amount of hardener, which slows the setting time and allows me to complete a job before the resin starts to harden.
I'm sure many on this forum will have other ideas on the subject.
Peter

Peter Fitness:
I might also add that I have never used MDF in model boat construction, all my scratch built hulls are made from plywood.
Peter

barryfoote:
I agree with Peter......DON'T DO IT......Asking for trouble and when other, better and cheap materials are around, simply not worth the risk or effort..

Barry

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version