Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 12   Go Down

Author Topic: Waverley ...... my build  (Read 108319 times)

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Waverley ...... my build
« Reply #125 on: August 18, 2008, 11:00:44 am »

Thanks Dicky.  You know when something ain't right. It was eating into me, as I was compounding the errors with the old frame.

The white cabin shown is also ditched, as I've found out it's actually the wrong size.  ooh er!!

What a learning curve I'm going through.  ;)

ken
Despite the high cost of living   .......... It remains popular

cos918

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #126 on: August 18, 2008, 03:32:21 pm »

hi ken . she looking great. you must have the payschents of a saint. Any way last summer I went up the tower near the scc in Glasgow . I found a few photo of Waverley. hope there of some use to you.

john

cos918

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #127 on: August 18, 2008, 03:36:29 pm »

last 2

john

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #128 on: August 18, 2008, 08:10:14 pm »

Thank you, John. 

Their great as I do not have any reference points in 3D like that. Wonderful, as it shows the missing link between plan and elevation.

Today I sanded all the bench seats square and rounded off the edges. I've tried wood stain, but as you can see, the glue shows through. (160)

I'm not too concerned here as I shall be spraying them the same colour brown as the other seats, when I get some more paint.

The rest of the windows were cut out and now the blood has stopped coming out of my thumb, I've started gluing them to the roofs (decks). I do like a bit of pressure on the joints. (161)    ( scheesh, those Stanley blades are bl***y sharp)  Yes, that's how I cut out the windows in 2mm plywood. It gives such a lovely edge that doesn't need any filing to shape, but comes out right first time. Two of the windows are only 10mm square and require a steady hand. I think this is where I went wrong. ::)

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #129 on: August 20, 2008, 08:03:20 pm »

Davits Time

On with a bit of scratch building now as it’s time to make some Davits.

First of all I had to look up all my Waverley pictures to find some details. Out with the magnifying glass and make a few sketches.
I determined to follow the look as far as possible, so started cutting some plastic card.

The first job was to get the curve and thickness correct; the first one took about 3 hours before I came up with a suitable shape. It was then a case of marking and cutting out the other 8 side pieces to match. The sanding machine was too severe for this as it was melting the edges, so they all had to be hand shaped to match.
(162)

These were then sandwiched between a centre pieces to look like an RSJ girder, and glued down. (163).   When dry, I made the support brackets for the hydraulic ramps and attached them as shown. (164)

I was quite pleased with the result and sat back with my cup of tea and realised there should be 2 more sets of these for my version of the boat.  Ooh err!!, another 8 side pieces to cut and shape.

I then spent the rest of the day finding the matching pieces of plastic before making two more sets from scratch. Hey ho, it’s a lonely life out in the shed. This is as far I have reached before calling it a day. (165)

Tomorrow, I have to trim the edges a bit smarter and clean up the joints before painting them back white again.

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #130 on: August 20, 2008, 08:07:39 pm »

Davits are excellent Kenny
The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #131 on: August 20, 2008, 08:10:46 pm »

Oh yes! very nice indeed. Well done Ken.

Colin

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #132 on: August 20, 2008, 08:15:04 pm »

Thank you Tiger & Colin,  I'm really trying with this model.

I think I've captured the essence of the shape. I did glue them on a card to keep them in relation to position, and make them easier to work on. I plan to colour the card to match the deck when fitted.

ken

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #133 on: August 21, 2008, 07:52:07 pm »

Painting day

First we sprayed the Davits with 3 coats of red oxide undercoat. (169) and because it was a sunny warm day, this dried quite quickly, so we were able to apply the top coats of white. (170)

The chairs were sanded smooth and had their final coat of the lighter brown. (166)

The cabins have been glued together and clamped to allow setting overnight, as there is a curve in the walkways. (167)

We have found a suitable stairway, which was not wide enough, so two were cut and joined together. This has been sprayed to match and placed in position to get a perspective of how it will look. We shall need to cut the roof to allow it to fit nicely, so we don’t want any mistakes. (168)

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #134 on: August 21, 2008, 08:11:29 pm »

Very nice Ken, now you know how Henry Ford felt with the model T production line.
Richard Solent Radio Controlled Model Boat Club http://www.srcmbc.org.uk

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #135 on: August 21, 2008, 08:20:18 pm »

Wasn't he able to tell people what he wanted made ?   ;)  ;D

ken

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #136 on: August 23, 2008, 10:30:20 am »

Dry Run Fitting

As I was being overrun with semi constructed bits for her, I thought I would place them all in position to get an overview.

I tried a dry run of fitting some of the parts to the model to see what she looks like. I am now getting exited, as she is looking the ‘Biz’, as they say. (171 to 174)

Here are the pictures so far. I welcome any comments before they are secured later, as today the day for deck fixing down.  I always regard this section as burning your bridges, as once it’s done you are committed to keyhole surgery for ever.

Before securing the deck, I have to run the wiring inside the roof for various sections, and also fix down the R/X and other controls so that they will be accessible through the deck holes.

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #137 on: August 23, 2008, 10:31:58 am »

Some more views

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #138 on: August 23, 2008, 10:51:29 am »

You been up all night Ken ?

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #139 on: August 23, 2008, 11:05:06 am »

;)   ;D

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #140 on: September 03, 2008, 11:10:20 am »

Paint time

First, the lights have been wired in and glued tidy, up under the deck and tested (180)

It’s out with the paint cans this week. First coat was the lightest colour which is white. I applied several coats to cover the complete hull as I do like a smooth finish.

Then it was time for masking off to get the water line in place. I hate this job as the line always seems to in the wrong place and I do suffer from bleed through. This time I tried engineers electrical tape followed up by masking tape on top with newspaper to cover the rest. (181) the black was then applied to the lower section.

As you can see, the line does not appear to be straight, (182) (183), so it was re masked and done again. (184) I’ve placed some of the modules on the ship to get another perspective.

While the paint was drying, I got on with making the tarpaulin covered boxes which sit on the paddle boxes. (What ever do they keep under here eh?) (179).

This brings me to the holes I cut in the paddle box tops for the ladders. I notice that after I’d cut them, that they are only in the rear sections. These boxes will now have to cover the front holes and will cover my mistake lovely.

It’s then on to the electronic controls. I followed my usual pattern of placing them all together on a board to make lakeside repair easier by making the board slid out from under the first deck for access. (185)

The controls sited are as follows.

1.   Motor speed controller
2.   Two way electronic switcher for the lights and the sound/smoke generator
3.   JJC smoke generator
4.   JJC Waverley engine sound
5.   6 channel receiver from Futaba, sited farthest from spark creating modules
6.   Fuse bank for all supplies.
7.   Separate set of control switches fitted to stern to control the master on/off for easy lakeside use
8.   Override switch to allow light to be used without the R/C being on

The painting is not yet finished, as there is a third colour of red to go below the black, so it’s off to the shop again. I am keeping a log of the costs, so far, but I fear to tell you how much we are up to.

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #141 on: September 03, 2008, 11:21:53 am »

Coming on nicely Ken, Though your electrics are way to neat you know. ;)

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #142 on: September 03, 2008, 11:31:31 am »

Hi Richard.

Thanks for your comments. I am trying to make it pleasing on the eye, as I'm designing her for looks. The sailing abilities will probably be out of the window in anything rougher than a bath tub.  ;D

I've ordered the tug Imara so it will be back to tugging for the winter. SWMBO wasn't best pleased with a £450 boat coming in, so I'll have to slow down a bit.  ::)

Mind you, this un!! is costing a fortune. All scratch built and loads of little spares from the model shop every week. My log of costs is phenomenal.  :o

ken

barryfoote

« Reply #143 on: September 03, 2008, 12:31:35 pm »

Kenny,

You bring a little sanity to the mad world. ovely job and those electrics as Richard says are far too neat!!!!

So you are going to build the Imara :( :(. Always wanted to do that as at the time it was designed by Frank Hinchliffe, we were quite good friends. He showed me the workshop where the model was to be produced, before he sold the complany that was. It is a beautiful model and with your eye for detail, I look forward to seeing the build log.......(Note assumption you will be doing one ha ha).

Barry

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #144 on: September 03, 2008, 07:12:10 pm »

Are you sure you want another log, Barry.??  ::)

Yes, I considered the Imara as a beautifully detailed boat. I really didn't know that Frank designed her. I loved his Boston Trawler, so it all ties in with attention to detail. Should be fun to do as some write ups warn of several sticking points. As you know, I'm an avid collector of details before I start a project, although the execution might be rubbish, the thoughts of great things drives me on.  ;)

I've made a list of further work to do on the Waverley and it's very worrying. I wonder if I'll ever finish her. I have to make the masts and radar soon, without detailed drawings, so any close up pictures would be nice, ladies and gentlemen.     :)

ken

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #145 on: September 03, 2008, 07:19:59 pm »

Ken,

I have booked myself a day on board Waverley on 25th September. leaving Portsmouth at 10:00, calling at Yarmouth and then through the Needles and along the Dorset coast to Lulworth Cove, returning to Portsmouth at 20:00. A long day but it should be a good one. If there is anything you'd like me to photograph for you, just shout.

Regarding Imara, i did the original Model Boats kit review. I've got a scanned copy I could send you if you want. There were a few things to look out for on the original kit and I rather suspect it hasn't changed all that much since then.

Colin

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #146 on: September 03, 2008, 07:46:32 pm »

Hi Colin

Yes ...... It was your article that I  fell in love with  ...   (arrangements have been made for you to meet SWMBO !!  who wants a word)  ;)

I do have the original magazines stored ready and have taken notes of the deck problems and lining up of the pieces.  If you have any further notes that you think I should know about, then perhaps you could mail me off line, when I start production.

Mind you, this is good service before the craft has even arrived. Thanks again and watch the 'Pigs ear' blog, when it starts.  ::)

Once again, thank you.

cheers ...Ken

Regarding the Waverley, I wish I was coming with you. I shall down in Poole on the 27th, which means I'll miss her.

If you can take as many photos as you can afford, then I will compensate you for your trouble. She is not appearing here in the Severn channel this year as the Balmoral is taking her place.

The type of scene I require is close ups of major fittings and how it all ties together. Minute details are not really needed on the model, but things that can be manufactured to enhance her looks would be great  (positions of boxes/ containers/door handles and deck clutter). I have a copy of the 3D film from the 'Net' which tours around the ship, but believe or not, some sections are still not covered.

ken

bosun

• Full Mayhemer
    • bosunsmodelboats.com
« Reply #147 on: September 03, 2008, 08:16:48 pm »

Hy Ken,
Been watching your build with interest mate, very,,, very nice, have,nt called over as did,nt want to srop you working. >>:-(
RE the IMARA,, I can put mine in the car and bring it over to show you if you want, mind you it's a heavy old boat.
Bosun
bosunsmodelboats.com

barriew

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #148 on: September 04, 2008, 09:19:30 am »

Kenny

Are you going to the Paddler Day at Darlington? I gave Eddy a copy of a GA drawing of Waverley as at 1982 re-fit to sell, raffle or otherwise dispose of in aid of the Medway Queen. Can't remember what detail it had, but might be of use.

Barrie

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #149 on: September 04, 2008, 09:27:04 am »

Ken,

I shall be taking a lot of pics anyway. You are welcome to whatever I get!

Colin
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 12   Go Up

Page created in 0.09 seconds with 21 queries.