Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12   Go Down

Author Topic: Waverley ...... my build  (Read 108631 times)

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Waverley ...... my build
« Reply #150 on: September 04, 2008, 10:22:38 am »

Hy Ken,
Been watching your build with interest mate, very,,, very nice, have,nt called over as did,nt want to srop you working. >>:-(
RE the IMARA,, I can put mine in the car and bring it over to show you if you want, mind you it's a heavy old boat.
Bosun

Hi Bosun

Come on down ............................ please. O0  Kettle on

ken
Despite the high cost of living   .......... It remains popular

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #151 on: September 04, 2008, 10:27:02 am »

Kenny

Are you going to the Paddler Day at Darlington? I gave Eddy a copy of a GA drawing of Waverley as at 1982 re-fit to sell, raffle or otherwise dispose of in aid of the Medway Queen. Can't remember what detail it had, but might be of use.

Barrie

Hi Barrie

Was hoping to go myself as I'm in Paddleducks club.  Unfortunately it's a long way but here's hoping. Thanks for the  info. I'm doing the "75 version and have drawings but not details, hence my constant requests for intimate details. A really enjoyable challenge, trying to get her right.  O0

ken

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #152 on: September 04, 2008, 10:31:29 am »

Ken,

I shall be taking a lot of pics anyway. You are welcome to whatever I get!

Colin

Hi Colin

Your very kind. Probably won't have a completed model for the Paddleducks 'do', but working a speed now.  8)

Just noticed this morning that she was put on her stand last night when the paint was still soft. Has this happened to anyone else. I have a lovely indentation around the " sump area"      :embarrassed:

More haste .... less speed, eh!!!

ken

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #153 on: September 07, 2008, 07:46:25 pm »

Trial fit of upper deck modules

Today I started on the mast and fitted all the parts temporarily to get an overall picture (again). Didn’t get much work done as I was filming progress so far and didn’t want to remove it all yet.

I shall be smoothing down the paintwork and applying finishing touches, as I notice the painting is not as precise as I would have liked.

Here are some snaps of the attachments so far and when the portholes are fitted I can start securing down the deck. (186) (187) (188) (189)

I would appreciate your comments as to positions and fittings please.

dan

« Reply #154 on: September 10, 2008, 09:01:34 pm »

hi ken,
i know im not the most experianced, but it looks excellent if you ask me, i cant wait to see it on the water. are you goin to bring her on sunday?

cheers, dan

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #155 on: September 11, 2008, 10:15:26 am »

Hi Dan

Still working on the paintwork.  :(  I've rubbed it all down with fine grit again and will respray her all over. I was never that pleased with the last result and am learning to improve all the time.

It's funny ....   the difference between the dream and actually doing it right. I suppose it will never 100% but one must learn when to accept that.

ken

SteamboatPhil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #156 on: September 11, 2008, 08:33:45 pm »

Terrific job Kenny, it really taking shape now  O0
Steamed up all the time

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #157 on: September 11, 2008, 09:44:53 pm »

Thanks. Phil. It's turning into a million jobs.  ;)

Modifications started.

Today I completed the rub down and smoothed the surface. (192) (193)

It was then off to Halfords again, for some more tins of paint. We now have a new stock of Red, Black, & White. The Sun then came out for the first time in a week, so it was out in garden and start the spray process. It’s looking better already and I’m quite pleased. Pictures to follow.

While the paint was drying I tarted up the deck fittings (194) and got on with inventing the radar drive system.

To this end, I have purchased a rotating party light from the ‘Pound store’ and torn it apart for the gear mechanism. (195)

This little device has a 3 volt motor and a few gears and rotates at a very realistic speed for a radome. I have glued in some blocks to support it under the cabin roof and left then drying for the night. We’ll try it out in the morning.

Stavros

« Reply #158 on: September 11, 2008, 11:06:34 pm »

Hi Ken just remeber all radars should run at around 25rpm,package on it's way

dave

catengineman

« Reply #159 on: September 12, 2008, 10:22:30 am »

I thought that X band and Y band ran at different speeds.?

Could be wrong though

R,

bosun

• Full Mayhemer
    • bosunsmodelboats.com
« Reply #160 on: September 12, 2008, 10:49:16 am »

Hy Guys.
I bought the same little disco light thingy that Ken has after he told me about them, checked it out this morning and it does 18 RPM, maybe not exactly scale, but not spinning like a top either. For a £1 you cant fault it really.
Bosun
bosunsmodelboats.com

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #161 on: September 12, 2008, 07:12:33 pm »

Hi Ken just remember all radars should run at around 25rpm,package on it's way
dave

Hi Dave.

I have fitted it in the front cabin and stuck a bit of tape on the bar to see it going around. Looks fantastic, as I've never had a Radar before.  I can make it go around any way, so which is the recommended way, please.

I let you know when the parts arrive.   cheers ken

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #162 on: September 12, 2008, 07:19:20 pm »

Hy Guys.
I bought the same little disco light thingy that Ken has after he told me about them, checked it out this morning and it does 18 RPM, maybe not exactly scale, but not spinning like a top either. For a £1 you cant fault it really.
Bosun

Hi Bosun

I have built a voltage reduction circuit and can feed just over 3 volts to it, which speeds it up a bit. (I like to keep the boat's power supply at 12 volts). Mind you, the motor is an unknown quality, so it might burn out.  I've got two more for a pound each, so it's worth the gamble.  ;)  It took 4.5 volts OK, but I reduced it for safety. 8)

Here are some pictures of the installation. I've severely cut back the excess plastic and acquired a smaller footprint. I then ran a bar up through the housing and and now need detailed drawings of the dome itself. ;) .... anybody ??

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #163 on: September 12, 2008, 07:29:34 pm »

Did a bit more painting today. After looking at the disappointment of the sanded boat, I must admit she's looking better with her livery on. Just the Black band around the middle to go.

A challenge, even for Stavros. I have to mask top and bottom of the bands limit before spraying.  Not one, but two edges to worry about.  I couldn't work my way down the paint system because I would have had to cover black with red, and it would have shown a bit darker.  I shall wait a few days for the paint to harden off, to prevent it pulling off with the masking tape. Wish me luck. I'm having Sunday off as it's Cwmbran Modelers Open day and I'm on the stand.

catengineman

« Reply #164 on: September 12, 2008, 07:44:02 pm »

From what I can remember when I saw the fine vessel she has a standard radar scanner bar the sort you could get from most model shops, then cut down to the required size you want

R,

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #165 on: September 12, 2008, 07:54:31 pm »

From what I can remember when I saw the fine vessel she has a standard radar scanner bar the sort you could get from most model shops, then cut down to the required size you want

R,

My, that was quick. Thank you, R.

I was looking in my magazines, but their pictures are so small, they just look like a square bar. I need something that looks the 'Biz', as they say.

Mind you, how to attach it is the next problem. I want it to be removable.   ;D

ken

catengineman

« Reply #166 on: September 12, 2008, 08:09:08 pm »

Easy peasy All my radar scanners are removable.

I get a standard scanner and then where the spigot to locate into the radar unit (box) is I remove with a knife then make a small hole

While your radar drive is turning hold the scanner bar on top so that the shaft enters the small hole and "drills its own way into the soft plastic (gentle pressure required)
When enough depth (or fully through) stop and adjust if there is any "run out"
If you want to remove = run scanner drive and pull gently

works for me but I use micro servos in my drives so I have quite a strong drive motor and like you I use a voltage control board to get the desired speeds.

R,

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #167 on: September 12, 2008, 08:37:33 pm »

Brilliant. There was me, thinking of tiny screws , or something similar.   ::)

ken

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #168 on: September 13, 2008, 10:27:45 pm »

Hull Paint finished

Yippee!!  We’ve got there in the end. The tape came off and didn’t pull any paint, and it’s come out with the best finish I could have wished for. I’m really pleased with surface now. Perhaps I can get on with those portholes at last. Only 80 windows to go.   ::)

Here are the latest pictures, which includes my Radar unit, which works a treat. (199) (200) (201)

I’ve taken movies to add to the You-Tube film that I’m making, but haven’t posted these yet.

Stavros

« Reply #169 on: September 13, 2008, 10:49:52 pm »

See Ken trust your uncle Stav and believe in him and guess what it WORKS looking good O0

Stavros

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #170 on: September 14, 2008, 07:53:56 pm »

Hi Stav,

A compliment from you is a compliment indeed.  Thank you very much for your advise, which I've followed to good effect. A very happy chappie here.

Spent the day at the lake away from building and already I'm looking forward to fitting your Air Vents. Sad or what.  8)

ken

barryfoote

« Reply #171 on: September 16, 2008, 10:15:03 am »

A cracker Ken.....nuff said...

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #172 on: September 17, 2008, 07:41:34 pm »

Thank you Barrie. It's starting to get intricate now, so I'm slowing down a bit.

Windows time

Today I fitted the portholes around the sides of the ship. (202) (203).The insides were glazed to the hull for water integrity, even though the portholes had their own glass, these were done as well. I used strips of clear plastic in sheet form and to completely seal the edges, I shall epoxy around the edge when that lot is dry.

I then settled down with a cup of tea and the radio and fitted all the lifelines to the bench seats. A long job and slightly boring, but the effect seems worth it. (204). I shall tidy up the loose ends when that glue is also dry.

I then set about glazing the cabins. These were fitted out with square windows along the sides, and frames are being fitted around the front curves.  I shall now be picking superglue from my fingers all night!!  (205)

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #173 on: September 17, 2008, 07:58:39 pm »

Ken, have you jinxed the ship? Apparently it took a chunk out of Worthing pier yesterday! http://www.worthingherald.co.uk/worthing/It39s-not-all-aboard-as.4494625.jp

Somebody else told me it took a bite out of Ryde pier too.

Hope there's still something left for me next week....

Colin

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #174 on: September 17, 2008, 09:12:19 pm »

It wasn't Ryde pier it was the newly renovated Yarmouth pier (now shut) and then Worthing pier, all in the same day.  ::)
Richard Solent Radio Controlled Model Boat Club http://www.srcmbc.org.uk
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12   Go Up

Page created in 0.1 seconds with 21 queries.