Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12   Go Down

Author Topic: Waverley ...... my build  (Read 107926 times)

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Waverley ...... my build
« Reply #25 on: June 11, 2008, 10:04:30 pm »

There's your batteries again, Stavros.  The things weigh 2.5 kilo and are very handy. No need to keep charging them.   ;D ;D

Despite the high cost of living   .......... It remains popular

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #26 on: June 11, 2008, 10:06:26 pm »

Remember that since the last refit the funnels are now at the same angle of rake - thank God!

Eddy Matthews

« Reply #27 on: June 11, 2008, 10:13:31 pm »

Remember that since the last refit the funnels are now at the same angle of rake - thank God!

A very good point Colin - But I suppose it depends on which period your modelling the ship on?

Personally I think Waverley looked horrible with the funnels at different angles, but no doubt there will be some people who think it looked better?

Regards
Eddy

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #28 on: June 11, 2008, 10:18:38 pm »

but no doubt there will be some people who think it looked better?

I hope not!

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #29 on: June 11, 2008, 10:24:34 pm »

They are parallel on my plans, so this is how I was going to have them.  I didn't know about the different angles (thank goodness) but it doesn't sound nice.

Anyone know where I can get a plastic tube the size of a rattle paint can, please. I have SWMBO looking through the shops for suitable size containers. I've even marked her wrist with a pen of the diameter required. She loves that !!!

Ken

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #30 on: June 11, 2008, 10:27:23 pm »

Whats the diameter Ken ?
Richard Solent Radio Controlled Model Boat Club http://www.srcmbc.org.uk

Eddy Matthews

« Reply #31 on: June 11, 2008, 10:29:06 pm »

Just roll your own tube out of thin aluminium sheet or lithoplate.... That's what I do....

Eddy

dougal99

• Full Mayhemer
  • Huntingdon, Cambs, England
« Reply #32 on: June 11, 2008, 10:29:31 pm »

Kenny,

Re funnels

Have you thought about using the rattle can as a former and using 0.5mm plasticard - probably at least two layers required.
I'm going to try this method to make up some small kort nozzles. Working on the former now.

HTH

Doug
Don't Assume Check

Stavros

« Reply #33 on: June 11, 2008, 10:36:45 pm »

Ken have you tried drainpipe that was the right dia for me pm me the size and if it is the same will send you some down

Stavros

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #34 on: June 11, 2008, 11:11:40 pm »

I contemplated rolling my own tube, but was put off by the join line that would be apparent. I shall measure the diameter tomorrow and let you know the size. (it is actually damn close to a rattle can itself.   (wish I hadn't thrown the used ones away now !!)

Goodnight ......... I'm falling asleep at the keyboard 

hama

« Reply #35 on: June 11, 2008, 11:55:43 pm »

Ken, you put so much work in your buildlogs for us to enjoy. Thanks, and keep them coming!
Sweet dreams.
Hama.

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #36 on: June 12, 2008, 10:57:09 am »

Late start today  8)

I measured the drawings and the funnels are 60mm diameter.

Ken

Stavros

« Reply #37 on: June 12, 2008, 07:50:47 pm »

Hi Ken got some 68mm outside diam plastic pipe if it's any good to you can cut some off and send it to you pm me with your address

Stavros

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #38 on: June 13, 2008, 11:25:34 am »

Hi Stavros.

Thanks for the offer, but it would be too wide. I'm committed to the block sizes underneath now. I shall be looking for just under 60mm so that they fit nicely, and don't protrude over the edges.

The wood warping problem had to be sorted. My fault for storing it on it's ends. The rest of the sheet is ruined and has been cut smaller for fillings and offcuts. It's off to the wood yard for another sheet, which will be laid flat this time.  :embarrassed:

Here is the view of the removed roof, which wasn't easy to remove. That wood glue sticks rather better than some super glue I know.  ::)  (65)

Ken

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #39 on: June 13, 2008, 08:37:26 pm »

Off to the builders merchants for another 8x4 sheet of 3.6mm ply.

This time I cut it into smaller pieces, so it's down to 4x2 sheets. These will be stored flat until I need them.  I then made a new roof for the rear cabin and have it under my 'powered' weights for the night. That should keep it flat.  ;D (69)

I have bought a plastic steam engine kit and plan to use the piston side of things as a dummy above the electric motor. Here are the parts all laid out ready for construction. (66) (67) (68)

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #40 on: June 16, 2008, 10:24:53 pm »

Decided not to proceed with the steam engine bits as I've been informed they are from a much older type of machine.

Overnight, the gluing has taken place of the new flat roof on the rear cabin. (70) and I was able to proceed with the fitting of the Bridge deck and walkways. (71)

Here you will be able to see the 'wrap around shelter ' area, previously referred to. (72)  I have kept the height the same all the way around as advised. There is a gentle curve on the bow end, with straight sides and back pieces,

I have found a suitable pipe for the funnels and have cut and angled them to suit.  (Hooray, a ship at last) (73)

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #41 on: June 16, 2008, 10:26:53 pm »

I have placed some furniture on board and taken a few snaps of the work so far. I enjoyed making the master staircase to the upper deck. This was made from 1.5 mm wood as steps, and was secured with superglue. (74  to  79)

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #42 on: June 16, 2008, 10:27:41 pm »

Some mood shots from the waters edge are at (80) (81)

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #43 on: June 16, 2008, 10:29:44 pm »

I had a man around to check the carpentry on the steps. (83) Then it was time to start on the Paddle boxes.

First, I cut the slot for the shaft in the rear of the assembly and then lined it up with the hull. There was a ridge of fibreglass around the top of the boat which was cut back flush with the sides, to allow the top of the paddle box to lie flush. The hull was drilled with 3mm holes to allow the box to be bolted to the hull after applying epoxy resin, they were tightened down. No turning back from here. (84) I then cut the sides from 3.6mm sheets and measured the angles (3 bends) to fit the plastic paddle box to the sides of the hull. Eight pieces were made and sized up ready to be fitted when the glue has dried. It does occur to me at this point that the lower tapered pieces are going to spend their time in water and be flooded when the paddle wheels start rotating ??. I might cover them with epoxy to preserve them and may be drill a few holes downward to let it escape ?

We then thought about this angled section on the windcheaters around the sides of the bridge, and decided that as they were angled, to copy this with a piece of 2mm wood with a slope on it. It was epoxied in and clamped for the night. We shall smooth it down tidy tomorrow, and fit some imitation hinges to simulate a drop down section. (85)

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #44 on: June 17, 2008, 08:52:55 pm »

Change of design

Thank you all for your letters of support for my little project. I also realise that the weight is getting critical, so I have changed the design a bit. Before I made any changes, I weighed her with all the fittings made to date just placed on top, and she weighs 8lbs, so far.

The 3.6 mm plywood was quite thin and nice to work with, but a lot of it tended to increase the weight a bit. I shall keep the rear cabin in timber as this section will be most used for engine maintenance and controls, and I don’t want it to fall apart. The wooden chairs will be hollowed out to lighten the load and the backs will be reduced in height to look more in scale with the model.

Out goes the wooden bridge deck so its start again with plasticard. Here are a few shots of the progress to date. (86) (87)

The rear access stairway was a little on the sturdy side and a bit out of scale, so this was removed and a new one fitted in its place. (88). I have veneered the upper deck instead of laying planks as I thought it would be lighter than rear wood.

Those funnel supports are solid timber and quite heavy, so they will be drilled out. The funnels will be fitted into these holes and should be a securing fit and will make the assembly a bit lighter.

A light breeze should make her surf across the lake.   

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #45 on: June 19, 2008, 09:34:22 pm »

Today I got on with the plastic construction of the Bridge cabin. I’ve brought the computer to the workshop and ran the pictures donated by you guys. This one shows the bridge in super detail and by combining it with my drawings, I was able to get the sizes right and also identify some of the details. (91)

I’ve cut the window holes ready for glazing later after painting. (89) (90). I have also cut the lower cabins windows and door ways. (92)

Onwards to the funnels and how to fit them so they do not fall off. I’ve drilled out the bases to sink then down into the wood. Before this I had to make the tubes oblong by immersing them in boiling water and compressing them long ways by crushing the soft plastic into shape. (94) (93). There are no pictures of this process as I didn’t have any hands free.

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #46 on: June 19, 2008, 09:36:24 pm »

I had my tea break and thought I would do a bit of novelty work inside the cabin, so I’ve made some tables and cabinets for the crew to work at. The drawings don’t show it, but there is a wall dividing the cabin, fore and aft, so I’ve put a door, half open in between. (95) 

According to the computer (the computer says Yes!!), my windows were a bit shallow so, I have increased the depth of them and constructed a circular bench seat to place in front. (96)  .

I then moved on to the paddle boxes and scrapped the two wooden versions I was building, all in the name of lightness. I have gone over to plastic and have made the top and bottom walkways for both sides and glued the on. (97) (98) (99)

This is the latest position at the moment, so I am taking a break for a week.  (100)

Thanks for listening

Ken

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #47 on: June 19, 2008, 09:50:39 pm »

Hi Ken

Have you seen this web site, it might be handy for you. 

http://pswaverley.org.uk/

Look under Waverley Rebuild Diary

The full story of the first phase of Waverley's Heritage Rebuild in 2000

The Completion Phase in 2002/03

Loads of photos in both sections.

Great job by the way.

Richard Solent Radio Controlled Model Boat Club http://www.srcmbc.org.uk

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #48 on: June 19, 2008, 10:44:14 pm »

Thank you for kind comments, Dicky.

I'm really enjoying this build as I consider her a pretty ship. Should get the girls around me at the lakeside eh!!

I know of this site and have perused it's contents several times. I was going on a trip on her, but the paddle shaft has been sent away for repair, so she is laid up at the moment.

I have been fervently collecting all the data I can since starting this one and have quite a collection of pictures now. They are collated on the laptop and I refer to them all day. The great thing about this way is that I can enlarge the view to check certain points. believe me, it's not in the master plans supplied. This one is scratch build from the empty hull upwards, that's why I making such a 'Pigs ear' of it. I shall get there in the end especially as I am getting help from you helpful guys.

Here's me thinking it was a flat top boat with hundreds of people on it.  {-)  There is is so much more to it and I'm learning all the time.

Time for a break now so it's off to Westbourne Models for a week to spend my pension. (Now where can I get two hundred scale 1/48 people??)

Cheers...Ken

pioneer

« Reply #49 on: June 19, 2008, 11:42:20 pm »

Hi Ken

You are most definitely not making a 'pigs ear' of anything! What fantastic progress so far!
There is more to her than meets the eye at first, a wonderful old lady brimming with character and memories of a bygone age.

Keep up the good work and enjoy your well earned break. O0

Kind regards

Andrew
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12   Go Up

Page created in 0.101 seconds with 21 queries.