Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12   Go Down

Author Topic: Waverley ...... my build  (Read 108422 times)

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Waverley ...... my build
« Reply #75 on: July 20, 2008, 05:52:32 pm »

It was then out with my favourite paint, the old red oxide undercoat. This was gently sprayed on throughout the day, to gradually build up a smooth coat with no runs. (121)

The next day I partially assembled the bits and pieces to get an idea what she might look like, and also continue with a few more movie shots to be added to the film of her. (122) (123) (124)

I am presently working on the paddles, and lining them up to fit the blade moving mechanism, so as to be feathering. I notice that there are a few problems here and have given up for the day. 

Primarily, I’ve decided the blades could be a few millimetres wider so as to catch as much water as possible. This now involves taking them apart and making new blades. A good job I didn’t loc-tight all the screws, methinks. I’ve only used it on the blades so far.

I also have the problem of where to secure the bearing for the feathering mechanism. If I secure it to the paddle boxes, then there is a risk of vibration shaking then from the hull. I plan to fit a brass strip to the hull and bring it out along the outside edge of the wheels. This would have to be removable to allow the wheels to be fitted and removed, if desired.

This model is a million problems as there are no detailed plans to work to, and it’s all scratch build. Great fun. We shall overcome.

Despite the high cost of living   .......... It remains popular

Marks Model Bits

• No Mustang Mark
  • Full Mayhemer
  • http://marksmodelbits.com/
    • Marks Model Bits
« Reply #76 on: July 20, 2008, 07:16:10 pm »

She is coming on well Ken, I will have to come over soon and have a closer look .................Put the kettle on O0 O0 O0

Mark.
I HAVE NOT FAILED, I HAVE FOUND 1000 WAYS THAT DON'T WORK.!!!!

http://marksmodelbits.com/

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #77 on: July 20, 2008, 07:28:38 pm »

Looking good Ken. When you have sorted your problems out you can help me with mine on the Milford Star.

I have one drawing (not to scale), one photo (so dark you cant see any detail) and an instruction book (book  {-) {-)) which is so vague as to be a waste of time.

But we wont be beaten eh ?  :-\
Richard Solent Radio Controlled Model Boat Club http://www.srcmbc.org.uk

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #78 on: July 20, 2008, 10:48:09 pm »

Hi Mark  Cummon down    :D

Hi Dicky. Is this the one.

barryfoote

« Reply #79 on: July 21, 2008, 07:59:18 am »

She is coming on well Ken, I will have to come over soon and have a closer look .................Put the kettle on O0 O0 O0

Mark.

I reckon too much liquid refreshment was taken.....Opps did I drop something?? O0

Kenny,

She is certainly a complicated build and all the more interesting for that. I am really enjoying your thread.

Barry

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #80 on: July 21, 2008, 08:28:26 am »

Thats thec one Ken.  O0

westcoaster

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #81 on: July 21, 2008, 10:46:13 am »

Hello Ken, you said in your post of 11th July that you wanted any mistakes in the design of your Waverley pointed out. Now I hesitate to seem critical, as I admire what you have achieved so far in what is a complicated subject. Please will you accept this in the spirit in which it is made - to help achieve the best possible result for your model.
Where the hances at the bow meet on your model they are at a different rake to the bow itself. If you look at www.waverleyexcursions.co.uk you'll see some pics showing how the whole thing is at the same angle.
The funnels I'd suggest need to be less cylindrical and more elliptical.
Best Wishes
Douglas

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #82 on: July 21, 2008, 10:57:58 am »

Complicated aint the word for it ...... What a challenge this one is.  I'm pulling out all the stops on her. Fantastic build, warts and all.   O0

Dicky, your right about the lack of information on your Milford Star. I've scanned the net, but drew a blank.  We'll have to read your blog to see how it's done now, so get on with it please.  ;)

Thank you for your comment, westcoaster, but I'm nor sure what you mean. Can you explain in more detail please. (hances ?)  The drawings have been followed faithfully but the model is always ready for alterations.

Ken

ps ... having some more time away from her as 'work' has come in.  :(

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #83 on: July 21, 2008, 11:35:26 am »

I reckon I know what Douglas is on about Ken, its the bit at the top of the bow, the rake is different to the bow and it should be the same.  O0

westcoaster

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #84 on: July 21, 2008, 12:14:47 pm »

Dicky's got it  O0

crzydoyle11

« Reply #85 on: July 21, 2008, 05:08:12 pm »

Hey there Dicky that is a great job" must have taken some time to put together. And a allot of what ifs you know, like if you- being the (part)  will not work or go in I will take the hammer to you.  >>:-( But really that is great Job O0 I hope my boat comes out half as good.

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #86 on: July 21, 2008, 05:41:08 pm »

No wonder they call you crazydoyle11, its not my boat its tug kenny's.  ::)

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #87 on: July 21, 2008, 08:32:43 pm »

Ah !!    8)

Consider it done.  Thank you again for pointing it out.

Ken

crzydoyle11

« Reply #88 on: July 21, 2008, 09:06:38 pm »

OOOPPss  :o sorry man I mant Tug Kenny  ::)

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #89 on: July 22, 2008, 12:15:31 pm »

Thank you Mr Doyle.  Many great hours of wok so far. Enjoying this build, so keep the comments coming in, chaps. I like to get it right.  8)

Thanks for coming around, Mustang Mark. Glad you like her. So sorry to hear about your broken finger. I don't think I could even hold a boat in that state.  :o

Ken

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #90 on: July 22, 2008, 07:45:56 pm »

The bow section was queried by a few of you. Mine has a curve towards the top, and this is shown on picture.  (125)

The actual ship shows a straight bow all the way upwards.  See picture.  (126)

Today was spent sanding it down and re spraying and she now looks like this.  (127)  I’ve placed a steel rule against her and she looks the Biz. 

I have, however, noticed that the top section does not seem to go back far enough, compared with the real ship. It does conform to the drawings though. What do you think I should do ?

Marks Model Bits

• No Mustang Mark
  • Full Mayhemer
  • http://marksmodelbits.com/
    • Marks Model Bits
« Reply #91 on: July 22, 2008, 08:01:25 pm »

That looks alot better Ken, you have been busy...................... Thanks for the coffee this morning..

Mark and Hannah.
I HAVE NOT FAILED, I HAVE FOUND 1000 WAYS THAT DON'T WORK.!!!!

http://marksmodelbits.com/

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #92 on: July 22, 2008, 08:03:18 pm »

Well, one must assume that the real ship is right... It does rather depend upon which date you are depicting her. Until fairly recently the funnels were not parallel but when the boiler was replaced the opportunity was taken to rectify this which vastly improved her appearance. Re the bow bulwarks, the best bet is to look at photos and be guided by the actual appearance of the ship.

All the pictures I have found indicate that the bow bulwarks go back further than on your model and that this dates back to when the ship was built.

Looks like an error on the plan.

Colin

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #93 on: July 22, 2008, 08:10:01 pm »

Cheers, Mark.  No, that's not your crash helmet behind her, just my radio.   8)

I think I'll extend the sides a bit, Colin. She just doesn't look the same as the picture (126), does she ?  I've also got one more porthole, so if I cover this one up, I can fill in the top to go back a bit more over the second porthole.

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #94 on: July 22, 2008, 08:17:21 pm »

Yes Ken, it's best to make the change even if it is a pain. Otherwise it will niggle away at you for everemore although nobody else will notice. Somehow that makes it worse! You'll be lying on your deathbed, family gathered all around to catch your last words - "I really wish I'd got the front bit right..."  ::)

Lovely build though. Keep it coming.

Colin

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #95 on: July 22, 2008, 08:29:30 pm »

O0   8)

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #96 on: July 25, 2008, 12:39:01 pm »

I've been quiet for a few days as I have been working on this alteration.

Isn't it upsetting when you have to cut apart your work?  I've removed the pointy bit and cleaned back the top deck line. The new section was made from plastic card, by gluing four sheets together and cutting to size. This assembly was repositioned and clamped in with epoxy resin and left to set. I've just removed the clamps and it looks much better today. Pictures to follow.

My new portholes have arrived. These will replace the ruined plastic ones and are made of brass and look very smart indeed. They come complete with window glass, so there's a saving on detail work.  I shall be fitting them after the painting of the hull so as not to ruin the appearance.

I'm also re-working the paddle blades soon and have to select a suitable material. The recommendation was originally mahogany strips, but this was changed to plastic.  I thought mine were a bit bulky, so were sanded down, and now are not wide (deep) enough.

Ideally, I would like brass sheet, which could be curved at the ends to make an effective drag. This might improve the pulling power at slow revs, so I'm off to the shops to see what's available.

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #97 on: July 25, 2008, 08:58:04 pm »

The new front piece has dried out nice and firm and was sanded down flat to the hull. The anchor chain holes were then reamed out to match each side. (128). 

My word isn’t brass expensive!!   Today I bought a piece to make the rudder with. (This piece was five times as long as I needed.) I’ve also obtained some pipes which fit snugly in each other, to be used for the rudder post and shaft.

I flattened one end and cut two pieces of sheet brass and curved them to fit around the flattened end of the tube. Holes were drilled and the insides edges were roughed up ready for the epoxy filling. It was then bolted and clamped together and left overnight to set. (129)

I then re sprayed the hull again in red oxide, so now I back to where I was a few days ago. (130)

barryfoote

« Reply #98 on: July 25, 2008, 09:08:32 pm »

Very impressive work there Ken. I find myself a little worried about those portholes though. I know you have bought brass ones but how are you going to ensure they don't leak when finally inserted in the hull??

Barry

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #99 on: July 25, 2008, 09:18:11 pm »

Thank you for your comments, Barry.

I agree with you about this certainty, so have plans which will unfold as I progress.  (means ....  I don't know  & can't be sure yet )  What I do know is that if you leave them out, the boat sinks. 

ken   (suffering from paint and glue fumes)    {-)

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12   Go Up

Page created in 0.103 seconds with 21 queries.