Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: A real heavy lift  (Read 7482 times)

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
A real heavy lift
« on: May 27, 2008, 11:29:57 am »

Stumbled across this thing tied up at North Shields yesterday.
The "cargo" apparently weighs 20,000 tons. I haven't a clue as to her origins, but if I attempt a short description maybe someone out there will recognize her, or its type.
The bow appears to be of the "Maierform" (spelling?) type / icebreaker. Not seen in the pic is a large projecting "spike" near the keel, ice cutter? She is (or was) fitted with 2 very large dia. bow thrust units hidden behind "doors" (similar to the one fitted to RFA "Olna"). The hull form is much rounder than you normally see. The stern area seems to be well protected...again, from ice damage?. Large stern anchors are catered for, and the hull has at least 1 massive up-and-over side door on the starboard quarter. This appears to feed into an area below a double hangered flight deck. What appears at first sight to be an offset funnel turns out to incorporate a bridge reminiscent of some Russian submarines. The foredeck seems to be clear of obstructions, all pointing towards some sort of aviation ship. But she does look very "odd"!
Notes from a simple seaman

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
Re: A real heavy lift
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2008, 01:04:01 pm »

Just after posting the pics etc clever clogs downstairs found a load of info including pics. Too much info for here but she is called"Ice Maiden", ex "Paardeberg". Built in the Ukraine for the Russian navy in 1991 and is to be converted into a "Flotel" on the Tyne. Before being transported from the USA to the Tyne most of her superstructure was cut off..hence a lot of my confusion. Perhaps someone more computer literate than me could post pics of her "then" and "future"? Bryan.

Robert Davies

« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2008, 01:28:03 pm »

Hello Bryan,

I don't suppose you have any more pics from that day? Of the carrier?

Regards,

-Rob

ps Intrigued by the stern arrangement on the ice breaker - it almost looks like it could 'pressure' break ice by riding up onto it.... - a very interesting study, thanks again Bryan.

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2008, 01:57:31 pm »

PAARDEBERG - http://www.newzeal.com/theme/Ships/Indian/paardeberg.htm

The "Paardeberg" is a ice strengthened  (Ice class A2) multi-purpose axillary replenishment vessel which was built in the Ukraine in 1991. She is flagged at Kingston in St. Vincent but owned by an Israeli company which bases her at Capetown in South Africa. She was previously the South African Navy vessel "Outeniqua". The view above shows her berthed at Capetown in March 2006.

Also:
http://www.energycurrent.com/index.php?id=2&storyid=10041
http://www.engineerlive.com/headlines/17045/flotel-for-the-north-sea.thtml
http://www.oilpubs.com/oso/article.asp?v1=5968
http://www.offshore247.com/news/article.asp?Id=10237

Don't think much of the proposed new superstructure...... :-\
Great pictures Bryan!
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2008, 02:10:30 pm »

£35m hotel ship project safeguards jobs
A 14,000 tonne former Russian naval vessel will berth in Tyneside this weekend, bringing with it a £35m boost to the local economy.
C&M Group's contract to A&P Tyne for conversion of the world's first ice-breaking floating hotel is set to safeguard 600 shipyard jobs in the area.

The Ice Maiden arrives in South Tyneside on Saturday where the project to convert the former Russian

Class ice-breaker into a DP3 flotel moves into a new phase following initial work carried out at Mobile, Alabama.

The vessel will be brought to A&P Tyne Ltd in Hebburn by a heavy lift vessel.

Once finished, she will be the only mono-hull vessel of her type and capability, accommodating almost 400 people and able to operate anywhere in the world.

Project manager Jim Eccles said: "The Ice Maiden is a unique vessel capable of operating in the harshest climates in the world.

"As such, the work necessary to convert her poses a unique set of challenges and expertise which we are confident can be delivered by A&P Tyne.

"We are delighted that the final stage of work on this major project is now getting underway and will be completed by early in 2009."

The project will require the fitting of some 1400 tonnes of new accommodation block steel work, accommodation for 399 people which include all the necessary services to support the personnel to be carried.

Richard Solent Radio Controlled Model Boat Club http://www.srcmbc.org.uk

furball

« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2008, 02:48:20 pm »

Yuk!

Lance

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2008, 02:51:05 pm »

Awful! What's that huge poll / post at the front?!?!?
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2008, 02:58:24 pm »

Hello Bryan,

Regards,

-Rob

ps Intrigued by the stern arrangement on the ice breaker - it almost looks like it could 'pressure' break ice by riding up onto it.... - a very interesting study, thanks again Bryan.
I have a couple, but being the sort of ship she is there isn't really a lot more to see of her. I have a better one of the superstructure but apart from that the others are just variations of what I posted. I'll post the one of the superstructure soon. Actually, if someone who lives in South Shields takes a shot from the south bank you will get a different view. I am going over there soon, so if nothing else appears I will give it a go. BY.

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2008, 03:20:00 pm »

I knew that would all happen as soon as I posted it. Thanks Martin and Richard. Interesting thing isn't it? If at all possible I shall attempt to photo progress over the next few months. Access to the river bank could be a problem though.
I learned about this load from "Tommy the Tug" (he of Tyne Models who drives a 1:1 mdel for a living). But he told me an interesting tale about it. During a "conference" re the offloading, someone asked to see the ships papers (Maiden). The response apparently was "what papers?..she is cargo", "Not when you put it back in the ater she isn't, she is a ship again". Oops. Nice one.

Robert Davies

« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2008, 05:02:44 pm »

Hello Bryan,

Regards,

-Rob

I have a couple, but being the sort of ship she is there isn't really a lot more to see of her. I have a better one of the superstructure but apart from that the others are just variations of what I posted. I'll post the one of the superstructure soon. Actually, if someone who lives in South Shields takes a shot from the south bank you will get a different view. I am going over there soon, so if nothing else appears I will give it a go. BY.

Thankyou Bryan, that would be very much appreciated.

Regards,

-Rob

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2008, 05:13:12 pm »

This is the only one markedly different to the others. Not thinking of modelling her are you? I don't think our lake at Tynemouth could sink her that far down. Be a fascinating project though. Even though I know a bit about stability, I haven't a clue how these ships stay upright at sea with an oil-rig plonked on top.

Roger in France

« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2008, 05:16:28 pm »

It's not a "huge poll [or even a pole]/post at the front" . It is a tank to carry all the gin! ;)

Roger in France.

Robert Davies

« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2008, 05:20:45 pm »

Modelling? Maybe one day :)

I'm absolutely intrigued by the control systems necessary to manage the ballasting of such a vessel - especially with such an unwieldy cargo as the oil platform you suggested.

Really my interest is just a layman's fascination in such an unusual vessel transporting such an interesting vessel - shame about the metamorphosis into the floating block of flats, but at least it will still survive as a ship.

Regards,

-Rob

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2008, 05:22:39 pm »

It's not a "huge poll [or even a pole]/post at the front" . It is a tank to carry all the gin! ;)

Roger in France.

Only a couple of thoughts. a) buggers up the view from the wheelhouse. b) a big liftshaft. c) are they going to plonk a ruddy great crane on it. d) just an odd thought, but could it be a training tower for escapees from sunken subs etc.? BY

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2008, 05:32:04 pm »

Alas I didn't see the "re-floatation" of the "Ice Maiden", but here she now sits awaiting her revival on the south bank of the Tyne.

bigford

« Reply #15 on: June 09, 2008, 08:46:18 pm »

heres a nice shot of the blue marlin hauling thunder horse

top heavy as a mother

boatmadman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #16 on: June 09, 2008, 09:10:49 pm »

Hey, Bigford,

Great pic, I dont have that one, any chance you could mail it to me?

Ian
if at first you dont succeed.....have a beer.....

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #17 on: June 09, 2008, 09:39:49 pm »

How DOES that ship not fall over?!?!?!?!!?

boatmadman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #18 on: June 09, 2008, 09:58:17 pm »

underwater stabilisers?
if at first you dont succeed.....have a beer.....

bigford

« Reply #19 on: June 09, 2008, 10:16:00 pm »

ian just right click to save the pic

Adam

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #20 on: July 25, 2008, 07:35:56 pm »

Awful! What's that huge poll / post at the front?!?!?

It's a system for accessing other offshore constructions.
The vessel will be converted in a floating hotel and will provide the necessary accommodation for the maintenance crews while most of the offshore construction haven't enough accommodation them self for these crews.
To access the object, they made fully stabilized kind of "fire truck ladder" on the pole on the bow of the floatting hotel
With the ladder connected to the object the maintenance personell can get easy on, and off the offshore construction.

cjcj121

« Reply #21 on: September 21, 2008, 10:03:31 pm »

A few more pictures of Dockwise ships .

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #22 on: September 22, 2008, 06:27:06 pm »

Thanks for those very impressive photos cjcj121.

.... Do you know, the more I see these pictures, the more I become convinced that someone is have me on!
      I can't be April fools day every day can it?!?!   :D

craftysod

« Reply #23 on: September 24, 2008, 03:28:25 pm »

Discovery channel showed these ships working,amazing what we can transport nowadays

bigford

« Reply #24 on: September 24, 2008, 04:34:51 pm »

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.115 seconds with 22 queries.