Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Galathee  (Read 8454 times)

periscope

• Full Mayhemer
Galathee
« on: May 27, 2008, 02:58:34 pm »

Hi All - now that the Galathee has been out for a while I'm just wondering how folk are getting on with it - I saw a Thunder Tiger Neptune sub in action yesterday and I was really impressed with it - Now I'm torn between that and the Galathee - the Galathee does seem to present a better image while on the surface but at the end of the day it's how things perform ain't it. Any comments would be appreciated.

Thanks Guys,

Periscope (Ian)
The best cure for sea-sickness is to sit under a tree.

Sub driver

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Galathee
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2008, 05:27:13 pm »

where did you see the Neptune in action yesterday ?????

was it at Hull any chance ??? :)

Subculture

• Full Mayhemer
    • Dive-in to Model submarines
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2008, 05:32:18 pm »

Reports of both subs have been positive. The Galathee is a handy size, and is more of a builders model, plus it looks more like a scale model. The Neptune is very complete, well engineered, and you can put it together with a set of screwdrivers. However it looks like a big toy in my opinion, and could do with some work to make it look more like a proper boat.

Andy

periscope

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2008, 07:17:41 pm »

Yep I was at Hull yesterday - I'm a member of the Goole Model Boat Club.   I was sailing a Seawolf sub, and I spent a lot of time with the chap from Hull who was called Geof who had the Neptune - he was very helpful and gave me a lot of info on the sub - very well made model, would stand a lot of bumps and knock I reckon.

Sub driver

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2008, 10:35:15 am »

Aha,

Thought so,

I was sailing my  scratch built type 1X at Hull,  U124, nice pond for subs and it was rather clear too, I had a sail around the pond underwater a couple of times it was great to see it about 2 ft underwater.

I agree with Andy , I think it is a matter of personal choice as to which you go for, at least you know how the Neptune goes after seeing it.

Regards Sub.

periscope

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2008, 12:02:45 pm »

Hi Sub ... Yep it was a nice boat you were sailing - I had to smile at one point when the surface sailers cleared off further down the pond when there was three of us in the water. For some reason our club members get a bit nervous - maybe something to do with the way I handle the sub lol.  Yours was certainly well camouflaged - I had to do a couple of quick swerves sometimes on the surface.  There were some nice model boats in your club tent - I particularly liked the army dukw with all it's bits and pieces on board - enjoyed the day all round except for the traffic queue when we were leaving - very nice park with good facilities.  Look forward to the next one.

Cheers,

Ian

Subculture

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2008, 01:14:01 pm »

Here's a good site with a french builder of the galathee. Some excellent videos on this page, be warned some of them are rather large, but are worth the download. Not all show the Galathee-

http://micmania.free.fr/vvv/galathee.htm

periscope

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2008, 03:34:26 pm »

Thanks for the info Subculture - I enjoyed the first video, some good stuff in there (I'm still downloading the 2nd - bit of a slow job but well worth it)  It's a good site apart from the fact I don't know any French.  Thanks a lot mate.

Ian (Periscope)

Mankster

• Full Mayhemer
  • Wheelerdealer
    • RC Model Submarines
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2008, 06:32:19 pm »

Hi Ian, with the Seawolf already under your belt, you may find the Neptune an unsatisfing build. I'd go for the Galatahee, Brugen's Delta or Deep Rover if you want a research type sub.

periscope

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2008, 08:49:50 pm »

Thanks Mankster - I haven't heard of the other two - I'll check them out.  Thanks Mate.

Ian

colin-stevens

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2008, 09:02:14 pm »

Mankster,
Brugens deep rover? cant find it. have i miss read?
colin
grumpy old XXX

Mankster

• Full Mayhemer
  • Wheelerdealer
    • RC Model Submarines
« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2008, 09:40:58 pm »

Mankster,
Brugens deep rover? cant find it. have i miss read?
colin

Its Carsten Heintze sub but sold by Norbert
http://www.modelluboot.de/

Subculture

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2008, 10:31:36 am »

Nice models from Norbert. In a different league scale wise, and unfortunately price wise too. You pays your money.........

I could be wrong, but I think the Deep Rover needs considerable builder input, unlike the Delta which comes as a complete kit.

Andy

colin-stevens

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2008, 08:10:46 pm »

Mankster, thank you so much >:( yet another one to add to the wish list.
but it does look interesting. its at the moment higher up the list than Delta.
Colin
grumpy old XXX

Subculture

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2008, 08:54:56 pm »

Hey Colin, did you find a buyer for your nice Seehund model?

Plus are you coming along to the Brockwell Lido events starting in October?

Andy

colin-stevens

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: May 29, 2008, 09:13:22 pm »

OOOOOOOPPPPPPPPPSSSSSS. only remembered tonight that Gantu was interested. Remebered 'cos the post has been removed by the powers that be!!!
must find out postage and see if he is still interested.
was nice once, until i tried improving it.
may wander along, just for inspiration. nought to sink.
colin
grumpy old XXX

Mankster

• Full Mayhemer
  • Wheelerdealer
    • RC Model Submarines
« Reply #16 on: May 29, 2008, 11:18:25 pm »

Colin, I should have a spare sub if you to have a go with something  :)

colin-stevens

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #17 on: May 30, 2008, 12:18:41 pm »

well, thank you. very kind.will be in touch. will look up when they start and pencil it in.
got a bit of spare dosh soon, definately going to go with the Delta, or Deep Rover, or one of several other ideas. used to be descisive, but not sure now.
colin
grumpy old XXX

Subculture

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #18 on: May 30, 2008, 01:18:07 pm »

I can't understand why you don't persevere with the Seehund. What problems did you have?

Andy

colin-stevens

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #19 on: May 30, 2008, 07:00:10 pm »

Er, the wtc was to small to hold enough air for the bag. then got in to a catch 22 of making the wtc larger, had to add more weight, which put me back to square 1. perhaps i will get the answer at one of youre meets.
colin
grumpy old XXX

Subculture

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #20 on: May 30, 2008, 08:14:00 pm »

Shouldn't affect the size of the tank/bag if the added volume is below the surfaced waterline of the boat.

colin-stevens

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #21 on: May 30, 2008, 08:24:01 pm »

and the other reason is that ihave farted around with it so much i have lost interest!! truth will out.
grumpy old XXX

Subculture

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #22 on: May 31, 2008, 11:06:35 am »

All submarines are a pain in the backside- part of the appeal.  ::)

A few pointers. Most successful seehunds run with a dive module- a cylinder of between 100-120mm diameter and about 500mm long. The ballast tank is part of this cylinder, and either a piston tank (best IMO, but not cheap unless you DIY) or a water pump is used for controlling the ballast volume. The latter consists of either a geared pump or a centrifugal windscreen washer type pump, pumping into a sealed tank. The tank fills to about 70% as the air compresses above the water, so you need to oversize the tank by 30% to allow for this.

A pinch valve stops the compressed air blowing the water back out though the pump. This system is reliable and inexpensive and works well. If you use a peristaltic pump, then you can dispense with a pinch valve, as they self seal. The snag with this type of pump is that they are very slooooow, and they also need to be run either way. Norbert uses a perstaltic pump on the Delta. In the case of that boat the ballast volume isn't too great (about 250ml), so the system works well enough- all the same builders of this boat have commented that the tank(bag) takes a while to fill.

The snag with using a bag and compressed air, is that the air in the bag is compressible. This means as you dive deeper, the bag will constrict and your boat will get heavier and sink (out of control).  There are two ways around this-

1. Trim your boat so it is just positively buoyant with bag fully deflated i.e. nothing further to compress. Then dive dynamically.

2. Put the bag inside a cylinder which has a kingston valve at the bottom. This will prevent water pressure from acting on the bag.

The first way is simpler.

Andy

colin-stevens

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #23 on: May 31, 2008, 06:08:58 pm »

Andy, you are determined that i am not going to give up, arnt you??!! well must admit to having a look at it again and giving it some thought. my seehund has a dia of 110mm and a overall length of 1000mm. the wtc is 75mm x 150mm 2 off. the area between them was free flooding with the bag between them.thinking of putting in a smaller dia wtc, but longer, the middle sealed containg the bag, and now pumping water the way you describe. one day maybe.
thanks for the help
colin
grumpy old XXX
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.101 seconds with 23 queries.