Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Our Latest Tow...  (Read 5588 times)

norry

• Full Mayhemer
  • ...Get Your Tugs Out For The Bouys...
Our Latest Tow...
« on: May 27, 2008, 11:04:01 pm »

...Hi Guys...

Here is a few wee pictures of our Tug Tow"PETER SHEPHERD" being put through Ballasting Trials...It also gave me an excuse to get boat on the end of my towline..

I hope you like it....

...Best Regards...Norry...
...Get Your Tugs Out For The Buoys...

portside II

• Full Mayhemer
  • tugs at rest
  • Location: Howden.East Riding of Yorkshire.England Near the banks of the river Ouse
    • goole model boat club indi site
Re: Our Latest Tow...
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2008, 01:00:04 am »

That is some tow Norry ,you will have to give us the domentions ,it must be over 10 feet long , what's the draft and whats/who is the ballast .
she looks well against the tug.
daz
I like to build my boats to play with, not to just look pretty, so they dont !

barryfoote

« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2008, 08:42:10 am »

If it wasn't for the swans you would they were real.... O0

portside II

• Full Mayhemer
  • tugs at rest
  • Location: Howden.East Riding of Yorkshire.England Near the banks of the river Ouse
    • goole model boat club indi site
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2008, 09:15:03 am »

Now that dont quite  right sound  {-)  O0 .
daz
I like to build my boats to play with, not to just look pretty, so they dont !

barryfoote

« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2008, 11:39:38 am »

Now that dont quite  right sound  {-)  O0 .
daz
Damned Spanish key boards.......Miss whole words out they do..

BlazingPenguin

« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2008, 11:57:53 am »

She's thirteen foot long about 2ft wide and for some mathematical smarty pants she's ballasted with 5 gal drums, so it would be possible to work out her displacement.
I have been relegated to admin duties of late, so back to Norry for how many drums...

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2008, 12:11:42 pm »

I don't know anything about tows but I've always thought it would be a good idea to have a slowly rotating rudder or even a rotating Shottle drive to make the tow more realistic or "interesting" to tow ..... no?
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

dougal99

• Full Mayhemer
  • Huntingdon, Cambs, England
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2008, 01:07:48 pm »

A 'rotating' rudder... now that would be interesting

Doug

(not at the pond... bloomin weather)
Don't Assume Check

oldiron

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2008, 02:00:27 pm »

I like the Shepard for a tow, nice vessel.
  The Barrie Model Yacht Club started tug towing competitions a couple of years ago. I've entered them from the start and learned a few things about it along the way. One of the first things myself and sailing buddy noticed were the heft of the barges we had to tow. Although the weight was legitimate based on the size of the tug doing the hauling, the logistics of manhandling such weighty barges into and out of the water was not. We sat down and devised another method of ballasting barges (or ships) that makes the on shore handling by us mere mortals much easier considering our advanced age.
  To whit I present the sketch and photo attached. The barge is made of a basic plywood construction, but an open box underneath. A layer of styrofoam is placed under the decking and provides the bulk of the boyancy to the barge. We tried a Dumas Brooklyn with a 3 3/4" prop on the tow, but the tug would hardly move it due to the drag of the open box construction. We then sheeted the underside of the barge with galvanized sheet metal and cut three holes (approximatley 2" in diameter) at the aft end of the sheet metal. This provides a smooth relatively drag free surface underneath, but the holes allow the ingress and egress of water when the barge is placed in, or removed from the water. The barge sat beautifully and gives an appropriate drag. A variation we haven't done yet is to mke a slot in the sheet metal, instead of the holes, and have a sliding gate covering the slot. Therefore the more the slot is opened, the more drag (for bigger tugs) and the more the slot is closed the less drag (for smaller tugs). Either way, when the barge is removed from the water, the water drains out of the barge and the whole can be lifted to shore with one person. and its light to travel with. The same thing can be done for ship configurations too.

oldiron

poll

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2008, 11:40:32 pm »

Hi Norry, She's looking good.
     Cheers

John.

ministeve

• Full Mayhemer
  • washing the decks!!!
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2008, 12:47:19 am »

WHEN WE GOING TO SAIL HER  NOW NOW NOW {-) {-) {-)

pops

« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2008, 01:35:39 am »

Great pictures Norry. Looks like much fun was had.

Oldiron, you just did me a great service. I was within a day or so of cutting a series of large holes in the bottom of my barge as I made mine to be water ballasted as well. The slots versus holes makes a lot more sense and i never even thought about them. Thank you. 

oldiron

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2008, 03:29:33 am »

Great pictures Norry. Looks like much fun was had.

Oldiron, you just did me a great service. I was within a day or so of cutting a series of large holes in the bottom of my barge as I made mine to be water ballasted as well. The slots versus holes makes a lot more sense and i never even thought about them. Thank you. 

Glad to be of assistance. You'll have to post some pictures when you've got it done.

oldiron
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.086 seconds with 23 queries.