Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Salvage & Derelict Vessel Retrieval  (Read 2444 times)

mike_victoriabc

• Full Mayhemer
Salvage & Derelict Vessel Retrieval
« on: July 29, 2006, 04:00:38 pm »

Greetings - intent is to 'snag' a derelict boat and return it to the dock in a timed event. Not having seen this in practice I'm curious what type of rig could be used and simple to make. Anyone have any photos of such activity? This was originally part of early Foss Cup events a few years ago. I have about three weeks to conjure something up! Appreciate seeing any ideas.

Doc

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Salvage & Derelict Vessel Retrieval
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2006, 08:03:21 pm »

Mike,
Probably the 'quickest' way of doing that is by towing a floating line and 'hook' behind the boat.  Circle the derelict so that the line and floating 'hook' get caught on the vessel's prop/rudder/whatever.  When the vessel is 'hooked up' pull it to where it needs to go.  That's probably the 'quickest' in terms of making the gear you'll need.  It isn't always easy or simple in practice.
How long of a line is needed?  Sort of depends on how big the derelic vessel is.  Big boats require long lines, small ones shorter lines.  How about the floating 'hook'?  How about a chunk of foam with three or four brass wire 'hooks' sticking out of it, sort of angled back toward the tow line?  They catch on anything sticking out of the derelict, or the tow line after making a couple pf passes around the derelict.  (Or high speed pass with really sharp hooks that'll penetrate the hull??  Probably get disqualified though.)
I'm sure there are a lot of suggestions/ways of doing it.  Picking the 'right' one for you is the 'trick'.  You might take a look here;
http://www.vac-u-boat.com/
Phil has done some research about towing for his boats.  Not all of them will apply, but who knows?
 - 'Doc

norry

• Full Mayhemer
  • ...Get Your Tugs Out For The Bouys...
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2006, 10:18:22 pm »

I dont know if this would help or not...
I have constructed a device for fixing in front of my Damen Stantug 1906 that aids the recovery of disabled boats at our pond at Largs Model Boat Club...
It is made from copper water pipe which has all the ends sealed and is then lagged with the pipe lagging foam stuff...It flkoats perfectly on the surface in front of the tug & is attatched to the tug by elastic bungee ropes...
It has a main bar of about 4 feet long which has the last foot or so bent slightly forward...It then has 2 legs fittedat right angles to the main bar about 5 inches either side of centre...this is where the tug goes in...
this wee device works brilliantly...
If you hold your arms out to the side you make a similar shape...
If anyone is interested i could make up a wee drawing and post it...
I got the original idea from an article in a magazine...

...REGARDS...NORRY...
...Get Your Tugs Out For The Buoys...

Aston

« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2006, 11:16:52 pm »

sent you a PM with a couple of drawings on.

Aston
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.087 seconds with 21 queries.