Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Our First Build  (Read 17019 times)

gaznjant

Our First Build
« on: May 28, 2008, 02:49:09 pm »

hello . im gaz. we live in Plymouth UK. Me and my boys are building our first boat. 4ft racing hull powered by a Zenoah G260 PUM . The engine is all installed and pretty well welded down. pitch ect all seem good. race tuned exhaust all bracketed and electric box all watertight. on the engine are 2 water entrances(one for exhaust) 1 for the head. i have got the water pick up in the rudder for the head and i would like to know if i need to add a 2nd water pick up for the exhaust? 2nd question is ,,, Are there any other enthusiasts in Plymouth as we cant seem to find other builders. I have been advised to get 40mhz radio gear is this correct ? .. best i stop asking questions now before you all get bored..... great forum and website . finding it all very cool indeed . hope to hear from you all soon gaz

Bradley

Re: Our First Build
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2008, 02:58:14 pm »

Hi Gaz,
I am not into racing but would suggest that you have a look at the Offshore Model Racing Association (OMRA).  I believe that they have a website and they do a write-up every month in Model Boats magazine.   O0
Happy modelling/racing.   :) ;)
Derek.   :police:

andyn

« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2008, 03:00:58 pm »

hello . im gaz. we live in Plymouth UK. Me and my boys are building our first boat. 4ft racing hull powered by a Zenoah G260 PUM . The engine is all installed and pretty well welded down. pitch ect all seem good. race tuned exhaust all bracketed and electric box all watertight. on the engine are 2 water entrances(one for exhaust) 1 for the head. i have got the water pick up in the rudder for the head and i would like to know if i need to add a 2nd water pick up for the exhaust? 2nd question is ,,, Are there any other enthusiasts in Plymouth as we cant seem to find other builders. I have been advised to get 40mhz radio gear is this correct ? .. best i stop asking questions now before you all get bored..... great forum and website . finding it all very cool indeed . hope to hear from you all soon gaz

I shall answer these in sequence, as I'm in that kind of mood O0

1.) The engine only needs one water pickup, the water goes a, to the head, b, from the other side of the head to the manifold/exhaust cooling, and c, from the other side of the manifold/exhaust out of the boat. Looking at my G260 I don't think standard silicone tubing will do, but any model shop should sell wider stuff, perhaps one of the makara boys coul help you with that.

2.) The Plymouth Model Boat Club meets on the Stone Quay, Millbrook Lake on a regular basis.

3.) 40 Mhz is what nearly everyone uses, or if you have deep pockets, you could get a 2.4Ghz set.

Hope this helps O0

Andy

andyn

« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2008, 03:04:01 pm »

Oh forgot to add:

Contact Ron Fry, club Chairman, if you’d like more details (phone 01752 703 685).

Andy

gaznjant

« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2008, 03:06:48 pm »

many thanks guys for your help . really good to use all your valued knowledge of this hobby that we just venturing into

andyn

« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2008, 04:59:58 pm »

One thing I would like to add, make sure you put Bellows on your control rods on the outside of the radio box (glue them in with epoxy) and MAKE SURE you have FULLY waterproofed all that you can in the box. The contents of that box as you know are very expensive, so need keeping dry. You could also put the silica gel packets you get with electrical equipment in there to soak up any moisture. When they get wet, simply shove them in the oven after you have used it, while it is still warm to dry them out again.

gaznjant

« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2008, 05:03:12 pm »

many thanks andy. i have got the bellows and put expanding foam in the bow of the boat. its this water pick up i cant get my head around. surely the water from the head would be warm when it hits the exhaust manifold? if i made a seperate water intake from say near the prop would that improve performance ? i have been using 8mm brass piping for the outlet to take it away from the boat. looks nice to

andyn

« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2008, 09:27:12 pm »

If anything it'll slow the boat down putting more pickups on.

I got a new water cooled manifold for my Merco .61 last sunday, so I shall repeat to you what I was told when I asked that very same question:

If the water coming out of the cylinder head is absolutely boiling, even sticking it through the red hot manifold will cool the manifold down.

It wont be that hot but you do get the idea...

Putting warm water through will still cool the manifold, because the water will never be hotter than the manifold will be.

gaznjant

« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2008, 09:47:57 pm »

good point . thanks again andy

GaryM

« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2008, 10:51:54 pm »

From one "Gaz" to another - have you any photo's - I'm a noob but very interested. O0

regards
Gary

gaznjant

« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2008, 09:17:38 am »

yes i will take some and put them on the forum when i get home from work gary. we have enjoyed the build so far. now its getting technical

andyn

« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2008, 12:27:35 pm »

yes i will take some and put them on the forum when i get home from work gary. we have enjoyed the build so far. now its getting technical

Looking forward to seeing the photos O0

What hull is it?

If you have any questions don't be in the least bit embarresed to ask, everyone on here is very helpful :)

gaznjant

« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2008, 01:26:22 pm »

hope these pictures help with any help you guys can give us

andyn

« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2008, 03:36:35 pm »

Looks nice  O0 Pics a bit small... You going to paint it?

You will also need a handle front and back (OMRA rules), and if it's over 50'' long it'll need a lanyard for towing it (also an OMRA rule)

You a member of OMRA? you'll need the insurance if you want to sail it

Looking good  :)

Andy

gaznjant

« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2008, 04:00:16 pm »

not a mamber of OMRA just yet and carrying handles will be the next bit of the build. we are spraying it black with fire fron the sides and over the back. (12 yr old twin boys colours) as for insurance i havent even looked into that yet as its nowhere near ready for the water. (mrs bank manger...ie THE WIFE) says no... to radio gear until she is over the shock of me bieng caught on what we spent already.

andyn

« Reply #15 on: May 29, 2008, 04:10:11 pm »

There is 4 prices of a boat:

1.) The price you actually paid.
2.) The price you tell her you paid.
3.) The price she thinks you paid.
4.) The price you pay when she finds out what you actually paid.

OMRA is £22 for the first year for adults, £6 for children, then £12 for adults and £6 for children thereafter.
This will go to the end of this year, so pay when you can. As for radio sets, I can advise you on the best cheap ones there are, and I also know where you can get them cheaper than the rrp's

Andy

gaznjant

« Reply #16 on: May 29, 2008, 04:28:30 pm »

advice on anything is good advice andy . as earlier you say best is 40mhz. the servos are fitted but need to put in battery pack/reciever and what about a dead switch if something goes wrong (so i can hit the button on the control box) ?

andyn

« Reply #17 on: May 29, 2008, 06:52:39 pm »

What do you mean by a dead switch?

Most Tx's have a engine shutdown feature, activated by either a button (new Futaba Tx's) or by flicking the trainer switch twice (old Futaba Tx's and most other brands). You will need a failsafe, which is £9.99, that goes between Rx and throttle servo and shuts the engine down in the event of Transmitter or crystal failure

andyn

« Reply #18 on: May 29, 2008, 07:04:47 pm »

as earlier you say best is 40mhz.
The best on paper is 2.4Ghz, unfortunately these sets are very expensive, my Spektrum DX-6i cost £110 just for Tx and Rx, no battery packs or servos or anything else included. I also have a DX-3 that came with Rx, nicads, two servos and a switch for £130.

To give you an idea of 40Mhz gear cost, Howes Models in Oxford will sell you a Futaba Skysport 4 for £100 with gear, £40 without, or a Futaba 4EX computer radio for £115 with gear, £45 without, or a Futaba 2ER for £38 with gear, £8.99 without (this one only needs duracells too).

I dont have shares in Futaba or anything, as it may seem, but Futaba gear is by far the best (watch the rows start...). Ask anyone at my glider club at Ivinghoe Beacon and they will tell you this is true. So I suspect will people at Stevenage boat club.

I would advise 2.4 gig stuff, as I love it (despite what everyone else says) , but it is quite expensive.

Andy

gaznjant

« Reply #19 on: May 29, 2008, 07:07:25 pm »

thats what i meant the failsafe. dont want it sailing off to far to sea without me . ive now just soldered and bent the water out pipe. going to fit that next and then fit the electric box down to see about the wire movements to rudder and throttle.  :-\

now hows my diplomatic....yes dear of course we can go shopping just for you dear..... to see if i get my radio gear soon ...

andyn

« Reply #20 on: May 29, 2008, 07:11:48 pm »

now hows my diplomatic....yes dear of course we can go shopping just for you dear..... to see if i get my radio gear soon ...

Good luck with that!  O0

What type of pushrod/ snake are you using, it would probably be very difficult to bent piano wire up to the angle needed from radio box to carb on a Zen, as i moves into a very strange angle. Most people use a Sullivan Flexi-snake for this as it can bend to any angle.

gaznjant

« Reply #21 on: May 29, 2008, 07:20:04 pm »

well a tip i learned from a website was ...wait for it ... bike spokes. strong and bend nice and easy ant they fit so snug in the plastic push fixers

andyn

« Reply #22 on: May 29, 2008, 07:24:42 pm »

bike spokes. strong and bend nice and easy
That sounds a bit iff.. never seen that done before, perhaps for a reason...

Sullivan Snakes are £1.69 from all good model shops, these are best for the throttle, and piano wire or bike spokes for the rudder

GaryM

« Reply #23 on: May 29, 2008, 11:36:59 pm »

Looks like a serious, wicked bit of kit guys! :)
Bigger photo's please?  Any video's?

regards
Gary :)

gaznjant

« Reply #24 on: May 30, 2008, 09:04:11 am »

hi i hope you can see this picture . i havent resizes it to small . thankyou andy about the snakes. will use them for the power but using spokes as the rudders for there strength

gary, yes we are hoping for lots of fun on the water. looks pretty fast and from videos we have watched of these engines in use . it looks pretty awesome.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up

Page created in 0.098 seconds with 20 queries.