Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Our First Build  (Read 17021 times)

andyn

Re: Our First Build
« Reply #25 on: May 30, 2008, 03:45:18 pm »

Looking good O0

Using the spokes for the rudder will be fine, as they are quite strong.

Can't see whether you are using stringers to put all the gear on, but some of the snake will need to be fixed to them to keep them tight, as they are very flexible (you can tie them in knots and they still move), just fix them in until a couple of inches away from the carb, and a couple away from the radio box to stop them flexing. Once secured, they are almost bulletproof connections.

Attached is a very accurate child like drawing of what to do with the connectors (clevises), You need to get about half a centemeter of silicone fuel tubing (shaded), and put it on some needle nose pliers, slip it over the clevis, then take the pliers away. this will hold the clevis firmly shut, and will not let it open while the boat os moving (at the stevenage race this happened, so the person driving had no throttle control and had to crash the boat). To reopen the clevis, simply slip it towards the back of the clevis.

gaznjant

« Reply #26 on: May 30, 2008, 04:34:13 pm »

now that is a quality idea. as i was advised to just use spokes and put a little s bend in them at the rudder part as the strain theough the rudder would open them clevises. like that idea andy thanks once again !

the 4 rules of buying parts has got to be the funniest thing i have heard for a long time to . brilliant
wonder if wife will fall for "radio gear is only a tenner " ?? worth a punt

andyn

« Reply #27 on: May 30, 2008, 05:02:20 pm »

wonder if wife will fall for "radio gear is only a tenner " ?? worth a punt

For all the white lies, that isn't actually far off, seeing as you can get a perfectly adequate tranny for £8.99 (plus crystals plus batteries...)

gaznjant

« Reply #28 on: May 30, 2008, 06:39:58 pm »

ok . im still thinking about this water pick up for the exhaust as a seperate in and out and just having the rudder pick up as the engine water cooler. i dont think the loss in speed would be that great but wonder if anyone has ever tried this idea ? should i be the guinea pig for it ? i have done the water out for engine in brass pipe (all bent to streamline it away from the boat and can do the same for the exhaust out. just a thought guys  ::) i understand the water from the rudder would cool both but thinking a bit more on the cooling side

andyn

« Reply #29 on: May 30, 2008, 07:05:21 pm »

Nah it should be fine without, have a look at this picture:

The engine feed goes straight to the engine, then to manifold, then out. That engine is 16cc smaller than yours but runs a lot hotter as it is on 5% nitromethane fuel with quite a hot plug in it
If you want, send a PM to Bill D203, he races his Makara in the OMRA races, with a single rudder and pickup, I think his twin rudder enforcer (up for sale, just a little advert ;) ) still only has one pickup.

gaznjant

« Reply #30 on: May 30, 2008, 07:21:16 pm »

take a look at this . hope its big enough

note . bottom left is where i am looking at putting the intake for exhaust if i cut it

andyn

« Reply #31 on: May 30, 2008, 07:32:37 pm »

That boat is actually glowing... I have no idea what to do, you seem to be fixed on dual pickups  O0

Ask Bill D203, he''l know what to do.

gaznjant

« Reply #32 on: May 30, 2008, 07:47:06 pm »

no no nooooo i aint fixed on it. its just a thought as a cooler engine on a car or my actual speed boat is a good thing. asking why it would be different for a model , i appreciate all your advice andy its all good

gaznjant

« Reply #33 on: May 30, 2008, 09:42:03 pm »

now you may see the engine block and why

gaznjant

« Reply #34 on: June 01, 2008, 11:38:11 pm »

ok . sundays boat building . stuck with the 1 water pick up. did the fuel lines (in and return) did the breather pipe. bent all the rods for the rudder and seem to get good turn with no restrictions. mounted the electrics.....(yes futaba 40 mhz box and servos in my possesion) boy did that take some creeping.... mounted the radio box and battery pack ect.

sat down and stressed some.... bending them wires really had my patience in a flap. and i remembered the rubber sleeves !!!

drank some beer.... de stressed.

question ...... do i use cable ties for security on the fuel and water lines or is there a better way ???

then soldered the new ariel and mounted that......

cooked a bbq and said morning to the family...around 6pm .... long day at the shed

found an electric blackspur paint sprayer ....any good for doing the hull ???

Bill D203

• Full Mayhemer
  • not long now!!
« Reply #35 on: June 02, 2008, 09:30:50 pm »

Hello Gaz
I have just fitted a twin pipe water cooling set up on my Makara, It over heated on a race last sunday. Not good NeWS.
Both the outlets need to be on the port side. If you are going to race your boat OMRA run right hand turn course's When you are driving down the pit lane you then get a chance to check the water is flowing as it passes you.
Have a look at OMRA web site. We do have some race's down your part of the world.
Cheers for now
Bill
Roll On Mayday. Im off for a pint.   How Much!!!   WHEN do you need it!     No dear!    Yes dear??   Wot Now???  soon to be EX Chairman SMBC

gaznjant

« Reply #36 on: June 02, 2008, 10:15:09 pm »

thanks bill. i have stuck with the one water pick up . and sent it round the head then the exhaust manifold then out the boat. dont think we are ready for racing ...(this is our first motor boat) but hoping to get plenty of experience and build more and get into the racing side when we know what we are doing properly.

im looking at joining the omra looks well worth it.

gaznjant

« Reply #37 on: July 06, 2008, 01:04:15 pm »

Well. how infuriating can a boatbuild be .... had to get a new fuel tank. the one i had didnt work as the pick up wasnt at the bottom. had to rebuild the block that it sits on and rebolt it. got all the engine back and refitted everything, had the engine purring in the garden and really sounds nice, now as you guys know ...put it near water and it stalls. (even bought the boat a deep paddling pool) !! when i start it and put it in and hold it to do the mixtures under load..it stops and stops again and guess what stops again !!! what am i doing wrong ?? hope someone out there knows about these zenoah G260 PUM and a rough guess where the 2 pins have to be for running under load.. ::)

andyn

« Reply #38 on: July 06, 2008, 03:39:16 pm »

According to the internet it should be roughly 1 1/2 turns out on the high end needle and 1 1/4 on the low end.

gaznjant

« Reply #39 on: July 06, 2008, 03:47:41 pm »

how are you andy . good to see you. thatnks for the needle settings . going to put it back in the pool when it stops raining. one other thing i have noticed. when she is floating around, the back end seems very very low in the water. i know this will sit up under full throttle but do i need to balance it

martno1fan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #40 on: July 06, 2008, 03:56:40 pm »

Hi looks like a nice boat you have mate,while i agree only one water piccup is needed i actually prefer two.You can either make a flush one and if you do a search you will find a thread on this type,or you can do what i did on my hydro which is to epoxy a piece of brass tubing to the trailing edge of the rudder ,it only hangs 1/8" bellow it so causes no extra drag as such and it works really well.Good luck with it and above all have fun.
Mart

gaznjant

« Reply #41 on: July 06, 2008, 04:03:03 pm »

just added some extra pics to show what i mean about sitting in the water and to show the 2 needles that i cant get right

w3bby

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #42 on: July 07, 2008, 08:42:01 am »

Needles, 1 1/2 turns out on both is a good start and tune from there. Screw them in lightly until they close then out again. You cannot tune the motor without running the boat on the water. Run the boat and check the colour of the spark plug. Rich is good, not maximum power but the engine life expectancy is better.

Remove the idle screw and throw it away, set the idle with the radio. This allows you to kill the engine with the radio(full brake).

You should have checked the balance of the boat as you built it and moved stuff around so you do not need to add any weight. It should balance at around 30% of the length from the transom, some do it with a full tank, some half full and some empty. The tank should sit as near to your balance point as possible, in this way it doesn't change move as you use fuel.

To get the boat to run you need a high idle and then preferably throw the boat in with slight forward motion. I'm afraid the paddling pool is not going to help you....

You are going to need a silencer with that pipe, it will be far too loud. you need to get to around 80dB.

gaznjant

« Reply #43 on: July 13, 2008, 08:00:26 pm »

well..... after an eyeopener at the weymouth race i do believe we are a long long way off !!! was a fantastic weekend and we have learned alot. have bought lots of bits n bobs to get our boat to something like racing. water pic up i put in is a total waste of time because of the drag ect. also realise we need to weight the front down as ours is a feather compared to some boats there. gotta say a big thanks to the 3 guys from manchester who we camped next to . they showed us so much with the boats i cant thank you enough !!!!!!!!! ah well back to the boat and rebuild what i screwed !!!!

martno1fan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #44 on: July 13, 2008, 09:16:31 pm »

If you need to add weight to a hull to make it stay on the water then its not balanced right and thats the truth.A balanced boat will be faster and will still stay on the water dont add weght believe me ive done it and its not the way to do it ,you can also use trim tabs to help when its rough or even as i do use some negative in the prop angle to keep her running a tad wet when its windy.No one should need to add weight to a boat to keep her upright.Balance it ,trim it and all will be fine.
Mart

Bill D203

• Full Mayhemer
  • not long now!!
« Reply #45 on: July 13, 2008, 10:17:09 pm »

Hi Glad you had a nice time! Took me 4 1/2 hour to drive home to Stevenage tonight. Whats more i didn't even get ONE lap in.
Due to a collusion with John Smith's boat and then emptying the water out off my boat all over my Transmitter.
NOT ONE OF MY BEST DAYS OUT I THINK.
Thats racing????
Roll On Mayday. Im off for a pint.   How Much!!!   WHEN do you need it!     No dear!    Yes dear??   Wot Now???  soon to be EX Chairman SMBC

gaznjant

« Reply #46 on: July 14, 2008, 06:02:06 pm »

ahh i saw you on the end of the pontoon shaking the wet stuff outta your radio gear.. i had the davy jones polo shirt on and sat on the pier wall all day !! was brilliant. just emailed to get into omra so we can play. i have trashed my boat to rebuild it so i can get the balance right and see if i can get a good box for the electrics and change the water pick ups so the flush with the hull ect

Bill D203

• Full Mayhemer
  • not long now!!
« Reply #47 on: July 14, 2008, 08:14:52 pm »

Yes It was me. Have now got the boat washed out & oiled up ready for next Sunday.
Glad to here you stuck with it all day. Apart from mine and a few other's it was a good days racing.
Must of the boats went home in one bit.
Try having a look at the "Mad Makara" section. There is Loads of stuff on there which may/ may not help. Welcome to OMRA as well. We are a good bunch of like mined boaters.
Martin the radio box held up real well to the sea yesterday.

martno1fan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #48 on: July 15, 2008, 06:56:06 pm »

Good to hear mate ill keep it in mind when i start building hulls  ;D,might have a few like my orange one but with a new designed top if anyones interested.Just need to finnish the plug and make the moulds first  O0.In the future i also hope to have a brand new vee of my own design made from glass,working on the plug now.A friend of mine in the states builds and sells this one he redesigned the woody plans i had and came up with this which is what got me thinking .
Mart

gaznjant

« Reply #49 on: July 15, 2008, 08:09:34 pm »

bill. i got your collision on video m8 !!! between turn 2 and 3 ... and martin that hull looks the monkeys nuts !!! like the shape.. have you had that in the water yet ???
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up

Page created in 0.12 seconds with 22 queries.