Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Fuel duty petition  (Read 4008 times)

riggers24

• Full Mayhemer
  • Just full of stupid questions
Fuel duty petition
« on: May 28, 2008, 09:03:55 pm »

I have just signed this one, lets see if will help

http://petitions.pm.gov.uk/Lowerduty30/
I will finish the crash tender someday - Still got tooo many toys to play with

catengineman

Re: Fuel duty petition
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2008, 09:22:37 pm »

Signed but I doubt if this or any gov will reduce the tax as where else will they get the revenue they need to pay for all the civil servants that are in the gov, etc etc

Eddy Matthews

« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2008, 09:28:43 pm »

There have been dozens of petitions posted on various subjects, but the fact remains that the government hasn't taken a blind bit of notice of any one of them!

The truckers, and motorists in general, need to take a leaf out of the french book, and bring the country to a standstill for a few days.... Then they might make a difference! Until then, this petition, like every other one, will fall on deaf ears!

Eddy

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2008, 09:30:24 pm »

Well I've signed it anyway. O0
Richard Solent Radio Controlled Model Boat Club http://www.srcmbc.org.uk

Bradley

« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2008, 09:31:14 pm »

I've signed but, like other comments, I do not expect these appalling idiots we call a government to give anything back to us.  >>:-( :'(
Derek.   :police:

alan colson

• Full Mayhemer
  • I Just Dabble In Model Boats
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2008, 09:54:11 pm »

Have signed, fingers crossed

bobdoc

« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2008, 10:04:35 pm »

But if we don't "hurt", will we ever solve the problem (excessive and profligate use of energy)?

What we are really angry about is the "big boys" (large companies in general and large haulage companies in particular) have the power to resist or pass on the cost. 

>>:-(

Back to the rich get richer and care less while the rest of us take the hit

Bobdoc

bigfella

« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2008, 11:15:54 pm »

I really do feel for you guys in the UK as petrol prices are ridiculously higher than they should be over there. Here in Australia they have just reached the $1.60 per litre mark which is 78pence a litre. We are all up in arms here at that price but could not begin to know how you are coping with the prices you have to deal with. How much excise does your government slug you per litre, here it is 38cents per litre plus GST (our Vat) which brings it up to about 45cents. However it will go up when the carbon tax is applied thanks to our PMs symbolism in signing Kyoto. It is time for some boffin to come up with a viable alternative to petrol for running our cars. >>:-( >>:-( >>:-(

Regards David

Peter Fitness

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2008, 11:33:48 pm »

David, I've just arrived back from the UK and the last price I saw for petrol was Stg1.15 per litre, and diesel about 13p more. Prices vary quite a bit, even as regards as adjoining service stations. I can't see any end to the high prices either, as crude oil continues to rise. I understand from newspaper reports that the fuel excise is around 68p per litre + VAT, which in my view, is absolutely outrageous. I haven't had to fill my diesel Pajero since arriving back in Australia (we are still in Sydney), but I'll probably have a coronary when I do. However much we complain, we are nowhere near as badly off as our British friends.
Peter.

bigfella

« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2008, 11:53:50 pm »

David, I've just arrived back from the UK and the last price I saw for petrol was Stg1.15 per litre, and diesel about 13p more. Prices vary quite a bit, even as regards as adjoining service stations. I can't see any end to the high prices either, as crude oil continues to rise. I understand from newspaper reports that the fuel excise is around 68p per litre + VAT, which in my view, is absolutely outrageous. I haven't had to fill my diesel Pajero since arriving back in Australia (we are still in Sydney), but I'll probably have a coronary when I do. However much we complain, we are nowhere near as badly off as our British friends.
Peter.

Welcome back Peter, hope you had a fantastic holiday. Yes I do think we complain a little to much and for relatively nothing compared to outher countries. However I heard that the price of petrol in Saudi Arabia is 21cents per litre. Who's conning who?

Regards David

DieselDo

« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2008, 12:50:50 am »

Signed

gary r uk

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2008, 09:08:41 am »

guys
i signed but not from this pc,ever wondered why the government stick a site for you to protest on?.
its not because they are interested in anything we have to say.
ever wondered why when you vote the nice little old lady writes a number on the back of your voting slip,so when voting is over they can go back and see which way you voted.
£131.9 at hatton cross heathrow.
gary
SAILING WITHOUT FAST ELECTRICS PRICELESS

Roger in France

« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2008, 10:34:16 am »

I think you will find that your voting paper can only be identified after a Court Order. To gain such an Order there would have to be very good reasons given to a Judge. Most Judges are very firmly against breaching the privacy of a voter. The only reasons I am aware of for granting such an Order is where there has been sign of "personation" as it is called in electoral law ( someone posing as someone else) or vote rigging.

Roger in France.

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2008, 10:51:50 am »

£131.9 at hatton cross heathrow.
gary
One hundred and thirty one point nine pounds at Hatton Cross, Heathrow. :o

Would that be per litre or per tank full  ;)
Richard Solent Radio Controlled Model Boat Club http://www.srcmbc.org.uk

dreadnought72

• Full Mayhemer
  • Wood butcher with ten thumbs
« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2008, 11:53:57 am »

If this form of energy were renewable, then we'd definitely have a point in complaining about the change of cost-over-time and the proportion of tax included in that cost. I'd be the first to sign a petition.

But it's oil.

Resources are dwindling, and the customer base is expanding - it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out how a free market will price a resource in that situation.

We've passed peak oil, and we're at the start of the oil end-game. Reducing tax to artificially lower the cost now will:

1/ Ultimately divert money away from acquiring post-oil solutions. This is what our government should be thinking about: the longer term (and much more important) five/ten/fifteen year plan for the UK to continue existing as a technological nation, once the oil's gone.

2/ It will also mean we'll use it up quicker, and hit that end-of-affordable-oil wall sooner, without practical solutions in place.

Petrol's expensive, and it hurts my wallet - but naively believing that a return to the prices of a decade or so ago is going to help anyone in the long term is abject nonsense.

Andy
Enjoying every minute sailing W9465 Mertensia

DieselDo

« Reply #15 on: May 29, 2008, 01:21:07 pm »

signed

regiment

« Reply #16 on: May 29, 2008, 01:36:21 pm »

w
wait untill you order heating oil that will shake the old bank balance up double since last year  :o regiment

bigfella

« Reply #17 on: May 29, 2008, 02:39:13 pm »

Sorry but oil is far from running out. The reason that oil prices are so high is the little men who speculate on oil futures who are artificially pushing up prices to make profit. This coupled with OPEC who want to capitalise on this have been going along with it and lowering the rate of supply. As I stated earlier Saudi Arabia is selling petrol domestically at 21c (10 pence) per litre. Not really a sign of a country whos oil is running out.

Regards David

dreadnought72

• Full Mayhemer
  • Wood butcher with ten thumbs
« Reply #18 on: May 29, 2008, 04:33:10 pm »

Hi David,

Saudi Aramco, the big oil producer over there, have not published production data in more than two decades. Why might that be? They rely on past figures of supply to calm fears about the future - but this is, ultimately, a non-renewable resource.

Two of the biggest Saudi fields peaked in the 70's. The largest now online is likely unable to up its rate from 10mbd in order to reduce prices in the market - vast amounts of water are being injected into the wells to get the remnants out - and a decline in "the next two to three years" is "inevitable".

Matthew R. Simmons, president of a specialized energy investment banking firm - and a man who briefed Bush on energy policy - has said, "[OPEC's] predictive track record has been awful. In the land of the blind, reliable OPEC data is either untrusted or non-existent."

He's convinced this the start of the end of cheap oil, and easily available Saudi reserves are all-but spent.

Meanwhile, the cynical side of me would suggest that the Wahhabist Saudi regime vastly subsidises local petrol prices. Heck, in a country full of simmering dissent, where you can be publicly flogged, amputated and beheaded, and were you can neither drink nor have your wife drive you home afterwards, they need something to smile about.

Andy
Enjoying every minute sailing W9465 Mertensia

dgp1957

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #19 on: May 29, 2008, 05:46:56 pm »

Guys
Just received this from my father in law regarding petrol prices, its a bit long but not such a bad idea:

See what you think and pass it on if you agree with it

We are hitting £123.9 a litre in some areas now, soon we will be faced with paying £2.00 a ltr.
Philip Hollsworth offered this good idea:

This makes MUCH MORE SENSE than the 'don't buy petrol on a certain   day campaign that was going around last April or May! The oil companies just laughed at that because they knew we wouldn't 
continue to hurt ourselves by refusing to buy petrol. It was more of an inconvenience to us than it was a problem for them. BUT,whoever
thought of this idea, has come up with a plan that can really work.

Please read it and join in!

Now that the oil companies and the OPEC nations have conditioned us  to think that the cost of a litre is CHEAP, we need to take  aggressive action to teach them that BUYERS control the market place
not sellers. With the price of petrol going up more each day, we  consumers need to take action. The only way we are going to see the  price of petrol come down is if we hit someone in the pocket by not
purchasing their Petrol! And we can do that WITHOUT hurting ourselves. Here's the idea:

For the rest of this year DON'T purchase ANY petrol from the two biggest oil companies (which now are one), ESSO and BP.

If they are not selling any petrol, they will be inclined to reduce their prices. If they reduce their prices, the other companies will have to follow suit. But to have an impact we need to reach literally millions of Esso and BP petrol buyers. It's really simple to do!!

Now, don't wimp out at this point.. keep reading and I'll explain how simple it is to reach millions of people!!

I am sending this note to a lot of people. If each of you send it  to  at least ten more (30 x 10 = 300)... and those 300 send it to at  least ten more (300 x 10 = 3,000) ... and so on, by the time the
message reaches the sixth generation of people, we will have reached  over THREE MILLION consumers! If those three million get excited and
pass this on to ten friends each, then 30 million people will have been contacted! If it goes one level further, you guessed it... ..

THREE HUNDRED MILLION PEOPLE!!!

Again, all You have to do is send this to 10 people. That's all.(and  not buy at ESSO/BP) How long would all that take? If each of us  sends this email out to ten more people within one day of receipt,
all 300 MILLION people could conceivably be contacted within the  next 8days!!! Acting together we can make a difference . If this makes
sense to you, please pass this message on.

PLEASE HOLD OUT UNTIL THEY LOWER THEIR PRICES TO THE 69p a LITRE   RANGE 

It's easy to make this happen. Just forward this email, and buy your  petrol at Shell, Asda,Tesco, Sainsburys, Morrisons Jet etc. i.e.  boycott BP and Esso

David

polaris

• Shipmate
« Reply #20 on: May 29, 2008, 06:40:08 pm »

Signed - interesting to note 107k people have signed it... just need a few million more!

Roger in France

« Reply #21 on: May 29, 2008, 06:45:10 pm »

I do not want to detract from the validity of applying consumer power to any price protest. However, I should point out the fallacy in the reasoning behind the arithmetic. There is a huge and highly incorrect assumption that everyone emails someone different! In fact the more emails sent the higher the chance to duplicate messages....I certainly do not want to be on the receiving end of all your repeated messages!

It is like the hidden fallacy in genealogy....if everyone assumes their family tree is unique and separate then there must have been more people in the past, at one time, than the total population of the world, throughout time, has ever been!

There is only one way to truly beat the fuel industry, stop your love affair with internal combustion.

Roger in France.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.097 seconds with 21 queries.