Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Huntsman "Windshield-Windscreen"  (Read 2989 times)

banjo

Huntsman "Windshield-Windscreen"
« on: December 05, 2007, 12:02:45 pm »

I have just managed, without any effort at all, to break the windscreen on my Huntsman.  This for the third time.
Has anyone out there scratch built an alternative with a proper surround?
Or have any ideas for a replacement?

>:(

supersonic

Re: Huntsman "Windshield-Windscreen"
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2007, 08:05:42 pm »

Hi Banjo, I sympathise with your problem with the screen,its caused me to have the biggest problem with the build .
I didnt even bother with the celluloid in the kit but have used (nearly successfully) 1/8 inch perspex moulded around the wife's
best baking tin with a heat gun. Fastened in to the sides of the cockpit with thick Cyano.                                           
      hope this is of help !

Dave.

Made it to 80 (25p Richer now)

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2007, 08:25:56 am »

Anglia Models will sell you a replacement just bought one for my 36" Huntsman cost me £5
I'm not old I'm mature middle aged

mark

« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2008, 11:57:46 pm »

When i built my Huntsman i used the windshield supplied as a template and marked round it onto a thin sheet of alluminium then i marked out for the window apertures and cut them out with a scroll saw.
Once i had done this i then formed the frame  to shape and then secured the perspex to the inside of the frame with 10BA nuts and bolts.
Very fiddly and time consuming but well worth the effort for a more realistic look.
Hope this helps
P.S  in my opinon the Huntsman is still one of the best looking pleasure boats even today

red181

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2008, 12:01:25 am »

Mark, what did you use to source the aluminium, I am about to make the windscreen up and was wondering how to do the frame.
Thanks
paul

mark

« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2008, 08:28:14 am »

I sourced my alluminium from my local bus garage they use it for the side panels and it was just a offcut.Most sheet metal fabricators will probably have a piece they would give you for the price of a pint.

FullLeatherJacket

« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2008, 09:34:06 am »

Yeah - that was always an iffy bit to do. I solved the problem on my later (& smaller) Swordsman like this:

I've used that frame method on a 1/4 scale Stampe biplane, with offcuts of litho plate scrounged from our printers. I reckon that if you combined the ali frame with the inset tabs then you'd have a pretty strong unit.

FLJ
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.093 seconds with 22 queries.