Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Real world MPG  (Read 7893 times)

Ghost in the shell

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Real world MPG
« Reply #25 on: June 02, 2008, 11:09:48 am »

vauxhall astra - about 15 to 20mpg
Go Nuclear!  you'll love it

geoff p

« Reply #26 on: June 04, 2008, 11:47:22 pm »

I get between 80 and 90 mpg.  Phew!
But.....
My vehicle is a Yamaha Jog 90 scooter.

I drive to and from work, and do as much again running around town, all on a princely 3 litres per week.  Costs me about one pound fifty.
And when it rains, I put on oilskins.

Geoff

Damien

« Reply #27 on: June 05, 2008, 01:34:36 am »

As i said earlier i'd post pic's of my thirsy beast here they are.

Sold in '04 to provide funds for a return to modelling.
Damien.

sheerline

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #28 on: June 30, 2008, 04:04:51 pm »

Ok folks, this is the latest mpg figure for my old 14 year old 2litr petrol VW passat estate.
I drove from Norwich to North Weald for the Wings n Wheels show over the weekend, went down during the day, lots of traffic about but none of it racing around so was able to travel around 60mph top speed. I went very gently on the acceleration and anticipated the roundabouts so I didn't waste energy through heavy braking so all in all a light footed trip.
Travelling down, the old girl returned 47.9 mpg.
Travelling back up in the evening with minimal traffic ... a staggering 51.5 mpg!!! O0
These were all cold start tests and are average figures indicated by my built in fuel consumption computer.
"Ah", I hear you say, "your fuel computer must be on the Fritz!" Well, it has been consitently reliable since I bought the car and I have checked the calibration  by filling the tank and checking quantities used against milage and it is accurate.
The 'waste of good oxygen' which run our country tell me my old car is polluting the planet and I should pay extra road tax...! >>:-(
Do I want a Diesel?....... Nope, don't think I'll bother!

taxi

« Reply #29 on: June 30, 2008, 04:27:06 pm »

Just for comparison my diesel passat returned 58.2 mpg on a 220 mile  run yesterday.   Stuck in traffic and some really high speed stuff when conditions allowed.      Urban nonsense is as low as 38 but 42 / 44 is more normal.

Alastair_I

« Reply #30 on: June 30, 2008, 05:17:34 pm »

The 'waste of good oxygen' which run our country tell me my old car is polluting the planet and I should pay extra road tax...! >>:-(

Not old enough, mate.. 1972 Triumph TR6 2.5 litre straight-six PI.. 20-something to-the-gallon (low-20s with a heavy foot, higher-20s with a lighter touch on the pedal).. did someone mention road tax?  O0

Al

Pirate

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #31 on: July 01, 2008, 07:48:12 am »

125k miles 1.8 slxi skoda octavia estate, everyday travel, including pulling a trailer for work ......... 40.2 mpg .......... on a long run  she runs at ........... 47 mpg ..... with a light trailer !!!! I know we won the war BUT what fantastic engineering them germans produce .........

Casper

« Reply #32 on: July 01, 2008, 08:50:50 am »

I did have a VW Bora 1.9 TDI (110bhp) and I really tried to get the best figures out of it possible, its going back a few years, but from Ebbw Vale to Ellesmere Port (for the model show) it did 83.7mpg O0 the fuel gauge did not budge all the way there.

sheerline

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #33 on: July 01, 2008, 09:26:51 am »

Casper, thats really impressive, the VWs seem to be very good in this area, however, we have also have a VW 1.8 ltr petrol Golf and the fuel economy is total rubbish! It is way down there on fuel economy, the brakes are lousy (admitted by VW mechanics) and the electrics are 'es aitch iy tee ee'!! We are sending it to the razor blade factory today and will never own another one. We have just replaced it with a secondhand low mileage Honda Civic 1.6 petrol so when I get some figures on that one I will let you know.

FishdockBob

« Reply #34 on: July 14, 2008, 11:08:11 pm »

Citreon Berlingo Van. Hull, East Yorkshire to Tenby, Pembrokshire 49ish a gallon mostly motorway, fully loaded with camping gear.

dreadnought72

• Full Mayhemer
  • Wood butcher with ten thumbs
« Reply #35 on: July 15, 2008, 09:30:59 am »

...the brakes are lousy...
I had a turbo-diesel Golf - and in my first 200 metres, not exceeding 30, I nearly overshot a "give way" line and slid into heavy traffic. The brakes were utterly appalling. I had to rely more on willpower than the disks to stop that pile of junk. It was the sort of car where you'd have to work out where you thought you might need to stop before you even put the keys in the ignition. I was tempted to follow the Flintstones and cut a hole in the floor in order to give me extra help with braking.

These days I have a Nissan Almera, whose brakes are awesome - I'm glad I wear glasses, else me eyes would pop out.

Andy - and it does 38-45 mpg.
Enjoying every minute sailing W9465 Mertensia

sheerline

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #36 on: July 15, 2008, 10:14:37 am »

Andy, I don't have any fuel figures on the Civic yet but we,re in the process of clocking it right now. I note your remarks on the braking capabilities.. or rather the lack of them on your Golf and wonder how VW managed to get it so wrong in this area. I am also surprised they managed to get it through any kind of safety test or approval certificate. Something else we noticed with this orrible little motor was the poor aerodynamic design which led to a exceedingly low frequency oscillation of the air within the vehicle when the sun roof was open at 30 mph. It really pulsted in the cabin so badly it became unbearable. Nobody will convince me that VW were not aware of this when they initially tested this car so I must conclude they didn't give a damn when they churned them out. 0 out of ten VW!
Anyway, the brakes on the Civic  are 'scary good' and stand it on its nose, it's a wonder the airbags don't pop and the sunroof can appear to remain open at any speed with no ill effects .... can't fault this car so far.

sheerline

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #37 on: August 05, 2008, 11:20:51 pm »

I have given the Honda 1.6 petrol Civic some fuel consumption tests, running around generally, normal traffic and  plenty of cold starts : 38.5 miles per gallon.
Run down to Falmouth from Norwich, usual heavy traffic round M25: 45.5mpg. Tried to keep around the 70 mark and didn't boot it.
The figures on the way back got screwed as I gave it a caning when we missed a turning and wound up miles off the beaten track (needed wipers on the inside of the screen at that point) and also  by a massive tailback on the M4.
My impression is that it's ok and I'm reasonably happy but it still doesn't beat my Passat for fuel economy! 

Ghost in the shell

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #38 on: August 05, 2008, 11:57:56 pm »

Nissan Serena 2.0 td 40 mpg

swordfish fairey

« Reply #39 on: August 06, 2008, 10:06:39 am »

My Citroen C1 manages 65-70 on a long run and around 55 in town. We also have a Citroen Xantia 2 ltr diesel estate for pulling the caravan, and get around 50 MPG. Both the MPG's have been established by the fill - run - fill method.  O0 O0.............Smudge

madrob

« Reply #40 on: August 06, 2008, 12:05:50 pm »

Ahhhhh i rememeber the brakes on a mk1 golf or lack of
mind you i had the 1500 diesel so it didnt need brakes.........sooooo s l o w

Next project is a Bond equipe gt4

sheerline

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #41 on: August 06, 2008, 12:38:57 pm »

Gawd Madrob! If it's the same car I think it is, the expression 'beauty is in the eye of the beholder' springs to mind, I do believe they went quite well though. Haven't seen one for years.

madrob

« Reply #42 on: August 06, 2008, 02:47:34 pm »

Oh yes shes deffo not a looker

sheerline

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #43 on: August 06, 2008, 03:32:26 pm »

Yup, thats the one I was thinking of, what engine's she got, is it a runner, can you get bits etc etc etc?

madrob

« Reply #44 on: August 06, 2008, 05:52:16 pm »

its basicly a herald/spitfire with a fiberglass body herald doors, parts are easy to come across, the parts that are hard to get are the original seats and the rear glass, got those.
Yip it runs, this ones been cut about a bit to fit a 1500 spitfire engine and a dolomite auto box.
just ordered new front cailpers and disks, new cylnders, flexis £122 for the lot.compare that with the last one i bought for my astra £90.
Cant wait to take her for a run

Jonty

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #45 on: August 07, 2008, 09:35:27 pm »

Back in 1970 I used to reckon my Camaro Z28 did 30 miles to the pound when I was booting it. Esso Golden was 33p a gallon, so that was 10mpg. Mind you, 0 -100 in 16 secs was pretty quick in those days. It managed 20mpg on a trip to St Tropez, but since it wouldn't do more than 4000 rpm on the dreadful French petrol, that doesn't really count.

That consumption was modest compared with the Group 2 Galaxie I had. 7 litres and about 450 bhp. Step on the loud pedal at 100 mph and it felt as if your neck had broken. 165 mph throught the underpass at Tolworth one night bouncing around over all three lanes, and that on trade plates. Happy days.

Cowboy? Who?
I eat my peas with honey,
I've done it all my life;
It makes the peas taste funny,
But it keeps 'em on the knife.

Ghost in the shell

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #46 on: August 07, 2008, 11:26:37 pm »

well with my astra that I had struggling to get above 16 mpg, (sat at 55 mph as well) I'm glad to see the back of it! My nissan serena has used £20 of diesel fuel since monday afternoon, and I just filled her up tonight. 
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Page created in 0.094 seconds with 22 queries.