Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: CYGNUS FISHING BOATS.  (Read 3792 times)

Bradley

CYGNUS FISHING BOATS.
« on: May 30, 2008, 08:38:47 pm »

I am sorry to say that the Cygnus Marine website has 'gone down'.  It was working a couple of days ago but, it would appear that, due to the demise of the company the website has now ended.  This is a great shame because, even when I last viewed it, there were lots of photographs of their boats and it will be a loss to anyone building, or thinking of building, a Cygnus boat.  The only option now is to enter 'Cygnus + model' (eg. GM33) into Google and you will get a few websites mentioned.  The Cygnus Marine website may come up but you cannot access it.   :'( :'( :'(
Derek.   :police:

DavieTait

• Full Mayhemer
Re: CYGNUS FISHING BOATS.
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2008, 11:07:17 am »

Derek if you join the Trawlerphotos site there are over a hundred photos of various Cygnus vessels both general views and detail photos of the decks etc. Unfortunately it would mean looking through the under 9.9m galleries as we don't have a search variable for Cygnus i'm afraid
Davie Tait,
Scotland

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2008, 11:15:11 am »

Richard Solent Radio Controlled Model Boat Club http://www.srcmbc.org.uk

Bradley

« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2008, 05:23:22 pm »

Many thanks Davie and DickieD.  I have already joined the Trawlerphotos site and will, no doubt, find it useful.  So far as Cygnus Marine Boats is concerned I get the impression that they have obtained some of the original moulds and are turning out some boats.  This company is based in Lowestoft whereas the original company (Cygnus Marine) was in Penryn.  There is no sign of the GM33 and GM38 which, I believe, are the popular ones for modelling.
Derek.   :police:

nhp651

« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2008, 05:28:23 pm »

I think they are now owned( the moulds) by a large Scottish fish processing company based in Peterhead or Fraserbrough.but can't remember which. The MD of ther company bought a number of moulds when the company went up for auction.
davie Tait, the administrater of trawler photos might know the company and chappies name.neil.

DavieTait

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2008, 08:00:58 pm »

I'm not 100% sure who bought the moulds Neil but I think its a Peterhead firm ( ScoFish I think ) , I will make enquiries to see what turns up.
Davie Tait,
Scotland

nhp651

« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2008, 10:26:38 am »

I think their the ones, Davie. I spoke to them a while ago when a gent wanted to consider having his boat built in minature but they had no knowledge of it, but were helpfull.
sadly I forgot to keep the name of the chappie I spoke too.

DavieTait

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2008, 10:50:21 am »

Those moulds were looked at by Seaway in MacDuff but they decided against buying them. Turning out GRP hulls is a lot more complicated than wood or steel. Needs a temperature controlled building hall , very experienced laminators who know how to mix the resin to the correct formula ( and how long they have before they need to stop using it as it cures ). Not an easy job to do but I wish ScoFish well I would think they will employ the best men for the job and the new hulls when they start being shipped out will be just as good as the original Cygnus hulls.
Davie Tait,
Scotland

andywright

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2008, 12:06:01 am »

I believe Irish Sea Fishing boats (Howard Ingram and partner) bought some of the larger moulds, they were allready fitting out the hulls to completion, so it made sense. They do have a web site.
Navigational Aids vessel Master. Old Conway 70-72

andywright

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2008, 08:11:10 am »

Here is the link

http://www.isfboats.com/#

Andy
Navigational Aids vessel Master. Old Conway 70-72
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.082 seconds with 22 queries.