Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: WOOD BENDING Help  (Read 7100 times)

GOGSAMWE

WOOD BENDING Help
« on: July 30, 2006, 08:00:39 pm »

Hi Guys

My Vappy build

http://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=919.0

needs some serious wood bending of two parts to wrap around the bow and the stern.

( serious for me, having not built in timber before ! )

Parts are approx 2mm thick x 30mm wide x 350mm long.

The instructions show how to clamp them, but no ideas how to bend them..

I don't think the scorring method will be any good, mainly as these parts will be visible on the deck.....

Any advice guys....

As a precaution, I will copy the parts on to a template just in case the "snap" comes 

Thanks in advance guys
Steve

Eddy Matthews

Re: WOOD BENDING Help
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2006, 08:04:54 pm »

To make it easier to bend, soak the wood in HOT water for 5 minutes - Try with a scrap piece of the ply first to make sure it doesn't delaminate, if it's proper marine ply it will be fine...

Then clamp the part into position using clamps, tape, lead weights - Basically whatever is required to get it to hold the shape you require..... Leave it to dry FULLY before removing the clamps! It should then hold it's shape and be easy to glue into position.

Regards
Eddy

GOGSAMWE

« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2006, 08:06:58 pm »

Thanks Eddy,

Will try on some scrap first,

Steve ;)

Eddy Matthews

« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2006, 08:12:28 pm »

Steve,

Soaking in hot water generally works fine, but there are more extreme methods if you find that doesn't work - The first is to steam the wood, a wallpaper steam stripper is ideal for the job. And the most extreme is to go to the chemist and get some ammonia and soak the wood in a 10-20% ammonia and water solution - Mind it stinks to high heaven and she who must be obeyed will definately NOT take kindly to it! :-)

Regards
Eddy

JayDee

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is the VERY Best !
    • JOHN DOWD
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2006, 09:52:40 pm »

Hello,
Was talking to a "wood user" recently about bending wood, he said to soak in undiluted Antifreeze, Glycol, most woods will then bend very easily.
BUT, I have NOT tried it !, not sure how the wood would glue or paint afterwards - - - worth a try??.
John.
My Projects, Photos and Videos
http://www.john-dowd.

boatmadman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2006, 11:06:20 pm »

I have found the hot water method is great, but I 'overbend' a little, because invariably the wood springs back a little when released from clamps.

Ian
if at first you dont succeed.....have a beer.....

dougal99

• Full Mayhemer
  • Huntingdon, Cambs, England
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2006, 11:00:58 am »

Hi All

I have used the ammonia method to bend 2mm x 12mm strip for a top rail, ie across the width, on my Brittany Fishing Boat. You only need to soak the wood for a very short time as the ammonias reacts with the wood and breaks down the fibres (as it drys out it regains its strength). To bend 2mm wood I would suggest less than 5 mins. Also wear gloves, do it in a well ventilated area and have a cover ready for the ammonia solution.

HTH

Doug
Don't Assume Check

GOGSAMWE

« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2006, 05:17:04 pm »

Thanks for the replies guys,

I have also emailed Chris Watton, ( the Amati kit designer ) at Euromodels, he suggest soaking for 24 hours, then bending to shape and clamping.

SO it looks like the "old soak" method will be the first trial......

I shall keep you posted,

Thanks once again

Steve ;) 

Guy Bagley

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2006, 11:23:00 am »

tesco sell a vegetable steamer for about a tenner,  fill the lower section with water, set the timer for the desired steaming time, fit the plastic vegetable  container and lid on the top and pop the wood to be bent into the plastic  veg container....  turn on and steam for a few miniutes ( about 5 - 8 mins  ) wood will soften, then  bend the wood to the required curve over a former, re deposit wood and former back into the veg container and steam further....i suggest about another 8 mins ish , dependent on wood thickness... then the timer will bing and your wood is done, allow to cool whilst still on former , then remove wood and former  and allow to dry....

then  get big steak out of fridge, cook to perfection on barbeque,  now use steamer for correct use, and cook vegetables to acompany steak, open cold beer and sit back and enjoy dinner,  wash vegetable steamer and return to cupboard, - dont tell wife of real reason for buying veg steamer and then realx.... and live happily ever after ....
all in all its just another brick in the wall......

JayDee

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is the VERY Best !
    • JOHN DOWD
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2006, 12:55:57 am »

Guy,
 Very good, good one !!
 ;D  ;D  ;D
John.
My Projects, Photos and Videos
http://www.john-dowd.

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2006, 04:53:25 pm »

As a retired joiner any sort of veggy steamer works for me . Should be quicker than soaking. Have steamed marine ply before in all sizes and it does the job

Richard
Richard Solent Radio Controlled Model Boat Club http://www.srcmbc.org.uk

warspite

« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2006, 08:17:48 pm »

just don't let the wife read this forum!!!!!!!!

RC John

« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2006, 09:18:27 pm »

The Ammonia solution is my choice and it has the added bonus of clearing a stuffy nose as well.
As to Steaming, I made up a copper tube & solder fitting that I could attach to the wall paper steamer. This could take two pieces of ½" x ¼" wood each time.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.128 seconds with 21 queries.