Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Bl**dy RTR fast electrics  (Read 2797 times)

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
Bl**dy RTR fast electrics
« on: June 01, 2008, 04:57:27 pm »

It has taken ages for me to get my better half interested in model boats but since I converted the Seaport/Workboat into a steam tug and given her a Tx she has put her book down and is to be seen of a Sunday sailing her tug at the lakes with the rest of us.
Until today, when one of our older members turned up with a fast electric RTR which went like the clappers and over which he appeared to have no control whatsoever.
We were all sitting by the lake in the sun, totally relaxed, with our boats scattered all over the lake with my wife's tug about 10metres out when all off a sudden our peace is shattered by this noisy pointy thing which had been unleashed, did several circles flat out and then T boned the wife's tug. It hit it at the level of the handrail, wiped out the superstructure then shot through the hole in the deck and dismantled the electrics. My wife was going to kill the chap until we managed to recover the wreck and convince her we could put it back together.
The fellow did apologise but it did not really make up for the damage or the fact that I now have to repair her tug "as soon as possible" ready for her for next weekend.
It wouldn't have been so bad if he had been a kid, but he wasn't, he was an elderly member who should have known better.
Bl**dy RTR's   >>:-(
Had me say, off to me shed now. >>:-(
Richard Solent Radio Controlled Model Boat Club http://www.srcmbc.org.uk

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
Re: Bl**dy RTR fast electrics
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2008, 05:10:19 pm »

Bl****y   boy    racers!   >:(
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

gary r uk

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2008, 05:34:51 pm »

guys
now you know what i went through last year with my scharnhorst old fart driving a fast bit tupper ware into the side of "him" and other near misses & that club have rules as to where tupper ware should be sailed from.
gary
SAILING WITHOUT FAST ELECTRICS PRICELESS

Shipmate60

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • You bark - I will bite!!!
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2008, 05:36:05 pm »

I would have handed it over to him and told HIM to fix it for next week!!

Bob
Officially a GOG.

Robert Davies

« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2008, 05:37:57 pm »

I think it's clear here that this thread is not against 'fast electrics' as such - more that certain people's talent for controlling them trails far behind in their wake.

I've been the victim of such an incident too, but if it had come to me walloping the idiot it wouldn't have read well in court....

-Rob

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2008, 05:43:15 pm »

I think it's clear here that this thread is not against 'fast electrics' as such - more that certain people's talent for controlling them trails far behind in their wake.

I've been the victim of such an incident too, but if it had come to me walloping the idiot it wouldn't have read well in court....

-Rob

What I am against Robert is the fast electric RTRs like this one which was uncontrollable. It only had one speed which was flat out, and the steering was cr*p. >>:-(
Richard Solent Radio Controlled Model Boat Club http://www.srcmbc.org.uk

Ghost in the shell

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2008, 05:51:11 pm »

with boats like that, they can be driven slow, just blip, theb blip, then blip....
so rather than screaming in, it instead leapfrogs a foot or so.  I tend to give the cheap RTR's a wide berth, ya dont know who's in (or not in) control of them
Go Nuclear!  you'll love it

Robert Davies

« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2008, 06:01:50 pm »

Point taken Richard, and as Gary suffered above, NOT the things to sailed in close proximity to others.

It's more than likely that the 'fast electric rtr's' inadequate control systems where swamped by all the other users of the lake - something an experienced member should have been more than aware of. Indeed alot of the cheap stuff I've come across recently does not fail 'safe', it fails at the last throttle and servo position, if that happens to be at the 'full bananas' position, watch out!

Having seen the quality of your work Richard, I have no doubt that you can repair it admirably - the point being that you shouldn't have to!!!

Keep us up to speed on the repairs!

Regards,

-Rob

Liverbudgie2

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2008, 07:10:58 pm »

Did you ask him if he had any insurance and if not how did he intended to pay for the damage to your, erm, good ladies model?

By doing this this it is the only way to deter these people from reckless acts. I would and will if anybody damages a model of mine in such a fashion.

LB

polaris

• Shipmate
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2008, 07:14:36 pm »

Dear All,

I completely agree with Shipmate. Just saying 'sorry' is not enough... if he wasn't going to repair it he could have at least offered to pay for the damage.

If some must have such things, they should find somewhere appropriate to use them. To break into and mess around on a nice quiet pond where everybody is having a nice quiet and peaceful time is very selfish. I am sure most owners are responsible and considerate, but it only takes one or two idiots to tar all owners of such vessels with the same brush.

You should have let your wife off the leash Dicky :angel: 'Annoyed' ladies are very spectacular in such circumstances as we all know, and can get away with things we cannot!!! - this chap might have got a soaking which would have amused everybody!!! {-)

Regards, Bernard

catengineman

« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2008, 07:49:43 pm »

I have been run over by an RTR (not me but my Tito) and though it was only a little paint damage the chap and his son were truly upset at the fact their toy had caused a problem.
The young boy had tears in his eyes and kept saying sorry (nearly had me blubbing)
It turned out that the boat would only turn one way and that it was all stop or all go so not much chance of control, after a long discussion and the explanation that the frequency the RTR occupied and the erratic control was down mainly to the manufacture.
I took the RTR home and fitted an old 27 MHZ rec an old servo and a bobs board into the boat in about 1/2 an hour then with a very old Acoms 2 channel trans I returned the craft to the lad who I think will be into models for a long time.
The damage to Tito is still there (character well its a working tug) and I have received a few bob that went straight to the RNLI along with a donation from the lads father.
I see the young chap often at the lake and he is getting quite good (will have to watch him at steering comps)
I still feel that education to the people that have the RTR is more important than damming the RTR itself.

R just my opinion.

Roger in France

« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2008, 08:59:57 pm »

catengineman,

Just the way to do it if you can and not everyone can or will. What's it feel like to be a hero to a lad and his dad?

Roger in France.

catengineman

« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2008, 09:13:29 pm »

It may have been my persuasive manner but the chap when told about the discrepency in RTR transmiter electrics wanted to stop the lad from using the boat forever!  I didn't want that so that was when I offered to do what I did. the chap asked about costs and I said make a donation to the RNLI and I will alter the boat.
The lad rode his cycle to my house and asked if he could watch, as I said I think there is a long term modeler within the lad and with luck he'll stay with it.

As for costs the rec, trans, servo and bobs board were all from an old car which was in the "to throw out bin" which I have still not got round to empty  O0
My time cost me nowt  seeing a face light up  priceless.

(any one want a set of RTR electrics and a trany? [only kidding])

R,

Ghost in the shell

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2008, 08:58:24 pm »

any pics on the repair yet DD?
Go Nuclear!  you'll love it

JayDee

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is the VERY Best !
    • JOHN DOWD
« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2008, 12:00:30 am »

Hello,
 I was sailing along with the Mickey Finn, when this happened !!!.
Calling out "Starboard" is used in Yacht racing, maybe I should have shouted RAPE !!.
Most of these boats can move faster than their Skippers brains.
John.  :(  :(  :(
My Projects, Photos and Videos
http://www.john-dowd.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.116 seconds with 22 queries.