Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: hachette bismarck or 1/200 scale battleship builder  (Read 8123 times)

modelman66

hachette bismarck or 1/200 scale battleship builder
« on: April 01, 2008, 11:06:34 pm »

hello does anyone know what motors propshaft propellor combination to use i have built 1/200 bismarck using motors/drives complete from fast cheap speedboat have just installed 2x6v 4ah gel bats and now the motors are starting to fail [you gets wot you pay for]and i want to know what to replace with . it did work fine the motors are advertised being the same as 380 type and used 7.2v ni-cad battery.

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
Re: hachette bismarck or 1/200 scale battleship builder
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2008, 04:31:28 pm »

If the existing motors are 380s and worked OK, then 380/5 or 5 pole 400 will be drop-in replacements, but make sure they are rated for at least the voltage you are using.  Martin was doing a thread on here about building one of these - I don't know how far on it is.
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield

modelman66

« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2008, 08:03:45 pm »

hi ive just ordered 400 size motors from graupner and some 360-14 from electronize 400 rev @19000rpm and 360-14@5750rpm all in 6volt because i wasnt sure which would work best.also i was fitting 2x  40mm 3blade props for some good old trial and error.p.s.anyone out there building a 1/200 scale boat good luck painting your crew mine arrived today very microscopic small. i thought i would paint them myself ha ha not any more i dont.

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2008, 12:13:23 pm »

A rule of thumb is that the propeller diameter should not exceed that of the motor.  If you run 6 volt motors on the 6 cell 7.2 volt pack you mentioned, expect lots of performance at the price of a short life for the motor.

modelman66

« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2008, 06:32:42 pm »

O0hi im using 6volt gel batterys 2 off 4ah will that be better?

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2008, 08:35:56 pm »

The battery voltage and motor rating will match - always a good thing.  Figuring out what performance you will get from any combination of motor, propshaft and prop is black art territory.  the best is going to be an informed guess covering "not enough" "probably good" and "good grief".

mickyrubble

« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2008, 08:21:54 pm »

Hi,
 can any one help me!.I have a hachette bismarck on the slipway , im building the rc version.Most of my ship building up to this has been with static period sail models. I have very limited knowlage of the' black art' of electrics and radio gear.I purchased the rc pack from hachette,but dont like the idea of the centre shaft being a dummy so im thinking of having this as a working shaft.Would another speed 400 be ok on this shaft ,or should i try something else.
Would the speed  controller/battery be upto the job and would the steering be affected buy the  3  props torque,.If any one can give any help on this,even if its only to tell me im flogging a dead donkey and go along the hachette version

Robert Davies

« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2008, 10:50:29 pm »

I've no idea what Hachette supply regarding either motors or speed controller.

However like you I'm very of the mind that if the 1:1 scale has/had three powered shafts, then the 1:200 should too.

I'm guessing that Hachette supply Speed 400s in their RC kit so another one for the centre shaft seems OK from a 'having enough grunt to push the ship through the water' viewpoint.

Speed Controller? The Speed 400, from memory, has a current draw under load of 3.5 amps so in theory a 15 Amp speed controller is good enough - the catch is - the Speed 400's stall current is approximately 22 amps - just make sure that you have an inline fuse between each motor and the speed controller - my guess would be a 5A rating to allow a little headroom. If you don't - the best that will happen when things go wrong is nothing - the worst that can happen is flames! Been there, done that, bailed the lake *into* the boat! :)

In an ideal world you would have a speed controller for each motor with the outer shafts fed through a mixer so that the inner shaft on a turning manoeuvre can be put into reverse and the outer shaft may speed up slightly - the software in a mixer can be quite complex! If it's an avenue you'd like to explore you're best giving http://action-electronics.co.uk/ a call.

-Rob

rem2007

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2008, 12:03:40 am »

This is the gear Hachette are supplying

http://buildthebismark.proboards52.com/index.cgi?board=rc&action=display&thread=1055

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Right well ive done as best as i can with the pics will get better ones when i finally manage to get time to finish the second planks and fit the gear

This shows the batery holder that was missing from every ones set

Link to Post - Back to Top   Logged

Shipmate60

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • You bark - I will bite!!!
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2008, 09:39:37 am »

My Prinz Eugen has 3 shafts and I decider to power all 3.
I fitted the new ACTion mixer/2 speed controllers combined and a further speed controller.
This is haow she performs on trials recently.

http://s282.photobucket.com/albums/kk251/shipmate600/?action=view&current=Picture031.flv

Bob
Officially a GOG.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.12 seconds with 22 queries.