Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Catapult elastic  (Read 3561 times)

AlanP

Catapult elastic
« on: June 01, 2008, 08:18:16 pm »

I am renovating a Tug boat that someone has given me, the drawing suggests catapult elastic for the fender 6mm x 6mm that runs right around the hull. I have tried all the local shops but all I get are blank looks and comments like, by gum lad it's years since I have seen any of that.  (like the lad bit as I am 60+)  {-)
I have seen some on ebay but being bred in Yorkshire find it quite expensive with the postage, so if anyone can point me in the right direction for some, or failing that, to a supplier that can provide a D shaped rubber, I would be grateful.

Regards Alan 

chingdevil

Re: Catapult elastic
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2008, 08:26:56 pm »

Alan

Have you tried fishing tackle shops, fishermen use catapults to get their bait a long way out.

Just a thought

Brian

AlanP

« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2008, 08:38:34 pm »

Brian, Yep, tried all the fishing and hunting shops, thats where I got called a lad   {-)

ministeve

• Full Mayhemer
  • washing the decks!!!
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2008, 08:44:13 pm »

still cannot put links on hear but i use ( seals direct ) they make some great fender rubber foam in all sizes and shapes some sticky backed there is a post on hear somewhere with a link to them

hope that helps    Steve

toesupwa

• Full Mayhemer
  • USA'd ex Brit
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2008, 08:49:27 pm »

How about B+Q door seals?...

If not the household ones, try the garage door seals.  O0

FullLeatherJacket

« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2008, 08:56:42 pm »

Alan
Model Slipway stock D-section foam fendering, and they're in Barnsley. 01226 770008 usually wakes them up.... ;)
FLJ

AlanP

« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2008, 09:00:16 pm »

Steve, had a look at that site and it could be a possible source, thanks

Toesupwa, Living at the back of beyond our B&Q is only a small one, but I will be having a look this week when I go to town, thanks.

AlanP

« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2008, 09:03:31 pm »

Thanks FLJ

Roger in France

« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2008, 09:04:28 pm »

I have used Model Slipway's rubber fender with great success. It has good density and adheres well (not self adhesive) be careful what adhesive you use. The rubber and paint may react differently to different adhesives, try some experiments before you commit yourself.

Roger in France.

AlanP

« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2008, 09:35:15 pm »

hi Roger, thanks for the reply, do you use contact adhesive or super glue? I find the contact adhesive seems to stick to everything apart from the bit that you want it on   ???

tobyker

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2008, 01:28:34 am »

Do they still make competition square section elastic for Wakefield model aircraft?

Roger in France

« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2008, 06:42:23 am »

Hi Alan,

I used neoprene glue on my last lot. In France neoprene is widely used for adhesives and is very good with most rubber like compounds and plastics. However, it can be messy to use and smells very strongly while being applied and curing.

Roger in France.

grasshopper

• Full Mayhemer
    • A1 Hobbies Ltd.
« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2008, 04:20:05 pm »

suggested this once before - many moons ago.
Go and see if a local truck tyre fitting service has a tread cutting tool and cut from old tyre carcass - if they have an old blade you can bend it to the shape you want and then get a better profile.

GaryM

« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2008, 04:58:12 pm »

Would the beading from around PVC doors be any good?

regards
Gary :)

kiteman1

• Full Mayhemer
  • Proud to be a part of the Model Boat Mayhem Forum.
« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2008, 06:18:46 pm »

I used to use old Ford cambelts on my tugs because the ridged type gave a good grip for rescuing other boats.  Try the car breakers for some decent stuff.  There's always plenty lying around.  Evostick is good for fixing if used carefully......... O0

AlanP

« Reply #15 on: June 03, 2008, 09:00:00 pm »

Grasshopper, the tyre places we have round here are not very helpful  :( and I think as the tug is 1-30 scale they might be a bit on the large size, but worth bearing in mind for the future, thanks.

I am off to town tomorrow so will have a look at the double glazing place there to see what they have. thanks Gary

Kiteman 1,  I have a friend that is going to (I hope) bring me a selection of old cam belts, I think if I can get the right size they will make good fore and aft fenders even if they will not do the sides.

This old hull is made of wood so I thought I would araldite the rubber fenders in place before painting, well seems like a good idea to me anyway  ;D

Thanks to you all for the different ideas

Alan

catengineman

« Reply #16 on: June 03, 2008, 09:45:04 pm »

Have you thought about 'O' ring section I used this on my Tito
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.101 seconds with 21 queries.