Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Any way to reduce the turning circle on a twin-prop steering system?  (Read 2113 times)

Edward Pinniger

• Full Mayhemer
    • Plastic Ship Kit Previews

(Is this the correct sub-forum for this subject?)
The USN sub chaser model I'm currently building (see the warships section) has a rudderless twin-prop drive system salvaged from a cheap RTR speedboat, with the original "racing" props replaced with much smaller 3-blade props to give a more in-scale speed. The problem I have is that the turning circle is currently very wide (it has only been tested on a smallish swimming pool, and is barely capable of turning 90' in the pool's length) and the transmitter unfortunately doesn't have seperate controls for each prop, so there is no way to turn in place by running the props in opposite directions.

Is there any way to increase the maneuverability of twin-prop steering, either by changing the type of props, adjusting the blade angle, etc.?

http://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=10530.0

John W E

• I see no ships !!
  • Full Mayhemer
Re: Any way to reduce the turning circle on a twin-prop steering system?
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2008, 08:10:06 pm »

Hi there Edward

If you get in contact with FLJ (on this Forum) I am quite certain that the original mixer - not his new one but the 'original' mixer had the facility for operating from a 2-channel radio - where the rudder servo was connected through a 'Y' lead to the mixer and your 2 independent speed controllers were connected to the mixer as well.     

The mixer will give you the facility of reversing one prop while full ahead on the opposite prop giving you a tighter turning circle.   I know FLJ will be playing heck because he will know I should have the instructions somewhere - mmmmmm where are they?

aye
john e
bluebird
Knowledge begins with respect
But fools hate wisdom and discipline

Edward Pinniger

• Full Mayhemer
    • Plastic Ship Kit Previews
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2008, 08:17:08 pm »

Thanks for the advice - just to clarify things, though, the R/C gear in my model is taken straight from a ready-to-run boat, it is a rudderless system with twin-prop steering. One "stick" on the transmitter controls the speed of both props (no reverse!), the other steers left or right by changing the relative speed of both props.

John W E

• I see no ships !!
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2008, 08:18:12 pm »

:embarrassed:

eee Just re-read your original posting Edward - I realise that you are using radio-gear salvaged from a ready-to-run model - which, to be honest with you - I do not think you are going to impove the turning circle either by increasing the size of props/or the pitch of the props.   In the long run it may pay you to try and get hold of a commercial 2-channel set - it might be more beneficial to you.

O0

aye
johne
bluebird
Knowledge begins with respect
But fools hate wisdom and discipline

FullLeatherJacket

« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2008, 08:31:30 pm »

Edward

Take heed of Mr Bluebird and ditch the RTR radio. It's lovely when you stop banging your head against a brick wall. Once you've done that, check out the ACTion website (details elsewhere on this Forum) and ring me for a chat. I'm certain we can get your model working properly. It's what we're here for.
FLJ

PS John - You klutz. You know you only have to E-Mail us and you'll get a set of Instructions like a ricochet. And "The New One" will work from a 2-channel radio even better than the old one does!!
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.092 seconds with 22 queries.