Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: S-130 Restoration  (Read 4130 times)

herrmill

• Full Mayhemer
S-130 Restoration
« on: May 28, 2008, 02:35:58 pm »

The Wheatcroft Collection recently acquired S-130 (along with one of the scuttled Danish Jaguar S-boats for motors) to restore her back to her original wartime condition.

S-130 led a interesting 48 year career under German & British flag in wartime & during the Cold War when MI6 used her to infiltrate spies into the Baltic states before being transfered to the Bundesmarine in the mid-50s where she was used as a training boat until paid off in 1991.

You can learn more about the boat's history, follow the restoration & participate in their new forum at http://www.s130.co.uk/.

Chuck
"China is a sleeping giant. Let her sleep, for when she wakes she will shake the world." ~ Napoleon Bonaparte

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
Re: S-130 Restoration
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2008, 02:38:24 pm »

"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

Robert Davies

« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2008, 04:33:49 pm »

I built a model of the S130 - http://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/Builds/S130/1ndex.htm

Yes, yes you did.... I was in tears.... I couldn't breathe for long periods of time..... Possibly the funniest real-life story I've ever read.

Ok cards on the table time....

I really want to build a mid->late war S boat.

What are the options?

1: Robbe S-130 - I've read the build threads and a divorce would be on the cards if I attempted one, plus somewhat odd scale 1:40.
2: Tian Jie Kit - Not available in the UK, but it is 1:36 which is close enough to 1:35 for me.
3: Graupner artr of the above - price prohibitive now it's headed for the 500quid mark - not really a 'build' either.
4: Italeri - 1:35 is out yet? Where from?

-Rob

Leaky

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2008, 05:18:05 pm »

from some of the pics from the trade fairs id wait for the Italeri kit it wont break the bank and Italeri kits are good quality,and the wait will give you research time O0
badly raised and ill mannered.

Shipmate60

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • You bark - I will bite!!!
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2008, 07:34:23 pm »

The old Abco hull now from David Metcalf with Precision Control fittings.

Bob
Officially a GOG.

herrmill

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2008, 01:49:42 am »

You have a a few other choices...

Microglass offers a 1/32 hull http://www.microglass.net/

If you really want to get your wife excited, try DreamArt's 1/32 kit http://www.dream-arts.com/sess/utn15483df35063903/shopdata/index.shopscript. Microglass supplies them the hull as well as the Italian MAS boat featured on their website.

I have the TJ kit which I plan to build as a mid S-38 with open bridge.  Not sure when they will be back in production with this kit after the fire they had earlier this year, but I'd presume it will be one of the priorities for them along with the other Graupner ARTR models they supply.   I will to get the Italeri kit once its released to build as a late S-100.
"China is a sleeping giant. Let her sleep, for when she wakes she will shake the world." ~ Napoleon Bonaparte

Robert Davies

« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2008, 12:17:39 pm »

I'd like to thank Chuck, Bob and Leaky for their suggestions and ideas so far.

If anyone else has anything further to add, please feel free! :)

Regards,

-Rob

ukengineman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2008, 12:43:05 pm »

The Wheatcroft Collection recently acquired S-130 (along with one of the scuttled Danish Jaguar S-boats for motors) to restore her back to her original wartime condition.

S-130 led a interesting 48 year career under German & British flag in wartime & during the Cold War when MI6 used her to infiltrate spies into the Baltic states before being transfered to the Bundesmarine in the mid-50s where she was used as a training boat until paid off in 1991.

You can learn more about the boat's history, follow the restoration & participate in their new forum at http://www.s130.co.uk/.

Chuck

I saw S130 when you was at the British Military Powerboat Trust then still at Husbands Shipyard, Marchwood. She was in poor shape and the funds did not exist for her restoration. Nevertheless it was a unique chance to see one of these now rare vessels at close quarters. Now as part of The Wheatcroft Collection the opportunity exists for a full restoration but will the public ever see her? The Wheatcroft Collection is a private collection with no public access.
Alan

gingyer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2008, 07:22:20 pm »

I bought a 1/36th scale fibreglass hull from this company http://www.nauticalmarinemodels.co.uk/Hulls.htm

my intention is to buy the italleri kit and use all the parts from it on the hull as it will be able to take more punishment
than a plastic one

herrmill

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2008, 01:02:30 am »

Rob,

Depending on what type you decide to build, what are you considering for armament?   Aside from DreamArts, Tamiya, etc... do you have any good sources for guns &/or fittings?

My S-38 will be Med-based with a 2cm FLAK on bow, Zwilling or Dwilling amidships & 4cm Bofors on the stern.  For the S-100, I've been toying with the idea of building this as a prototype S-712 with the stern tubes.  We'll see...

Chuck
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.108 seconds with 22 queries.