Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: A Google Earth'ish question.  (Read 2308 times)

OMK

A Google Earth'ish question.
« on: June 03, 2008, 12:38:06 am »

0°36'44.09"S  90°39'57.46"W

Gents, if you copy/paste those co-ordinates into GE it takes you to a bunch of islands just West of Equador. You might have to zoom out a bit, but notice in particular the name of that island; the natives have named it Isla Guy Fawkes. Now where I'm at I'm familiar with that name because every year they celebrate the Guy Fawkes carnival around these parts. My knowledge of the chap only goes as far as the Houses of Parliment and that they caught him before he managed to light the fuse.
Would any of you guys know if this is the same Guy Fawkes as that Guy Fawkes island?
If so, then what happened?

Edit:

I just spotted my spelling of Parliment............ then thought what the hell.......

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
Re: A Google Earth'ish question.
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2008, 05:14:14 am »

It must be remembered that in some parts of the world Guy Fawkes is seen as a revolutionary hero/martyr. So perhaps why the islands were named after him.

From Wikipedia
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guy_Fawkes_Islands

Isla Guy Fawkes (also known as Guy Fawkes Island) is a collection of two crescent shaped islands and two small rocks north-west of Santa Cruz Island, in the Galápagos Islands, which are part of Ecuador. It is uninhabited, but known to be used by scuba divers who amongst other things view the underwater zoanthids near it.

William Beebe visited the islands and makes mention of them in his book Galapagos: World's End, he described the cliffs as majestic and made of stratified layers of volcanic tuff. He also noted a population of sealions.

The island is perhaps best known and most noted for its name; which is derived from a controversial historical English figure. Guy Fawkes, the man it is named after was a Roman Catholic revolutionary who had attempted to carry out the Gunpowder Plot in 1605.
The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

nhp651

« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2008, 09:47:11 am »

Guy Fawkes, ( alias Guido Faulkas, as he was called when serving with the spanish navies ) had served both in the wars against the netherlands and in the Spanish conquests and it is possibly from here that the islands were named?
only summising though.

GaryM

« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2008, 05:05:39 pm »

And as a finale, they hung him for a while, then cut his innards out and then chopped him into four pieces! :o
So you should never trust a politician!

regards
Gary :)

nhp651

« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2008, 06:52:38 pm »

they should do that with most of them gary,
always was a fan of Syd Viscious and his records about anarchy :D ::) ;D O0

OMK

« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2008, 01:47:34 am »

And as a finale, they hung him for a while, then cut his innards out and.......

Did they?
Poor chap.
Is that what they would call being hung, drawn and quartered? A pretty nasty way to die, by all accounts.

Thanks, Tiger, for the heads-up on the Wikipedia info'. I wasn't aware of the Spanish/Catholic connotations..... just assumed he was a Brit.
An interesting answer from nhp651 and all.
Cheers all.

Reade Models

« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2008, 06:44:24 am »

Wikipedia gives Guy Fawke's method of execution as hanging - which I do not believe to be correct?

There are many other accounts of him being dragged at ground level behind a horse to (I think) Tyburn, where he was firstly castrated and forced to eat his own genitals, then hung for a while, taken down whilst still alive and then disemboweled before being quartered.  It think William Wallace met much the same end?

Being dragged behind a horse at ground level was symbolic of not being worthy of breathing the same air as the general populace, though I don't think that happened in Wallace's case?

His body and that of his co-conspiritors was then burned on a bonfire - literally, a "bone fire".

I think the Wikipedia article confuses his execution with that of Dick Turpin, the highwayman who, like Fawkes, also came from York.  It was Turpin who jumped from the scaffold at York Goal, breaking his neck and cheating the hangman.  He also had a paid accomplice grab his feet and swing on them to add extra weight, thus speeding up his death, common in those days.  It was much preferable to being hoisted slowly and being effectively strangled by the rope.  Hanging in those days didn't involve dropping the prisoner, as it has in more recent times.

(Haven't we gone soft lately)?

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2008, 07:34:08 am »

On a completely different subject.
How do you change the start point of Google Earth?
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

OMK

« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2008, 07:45:37 am »

Go into 'View', then click 'Make this my start location'.

Big Ada

« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2008, 06:03:04 pm »

Is Google Earth "Free"?if so how do I get it and are there anythings that I should't do.

Thanks,
Len. :embarrassed:

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2008, 06:14:50 pm »

Yes it's free but you need broadband.

http://earth.google.com/

... don't give anyone your email.
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.094 seconds with 21 queries.