Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: How do I draw up plans for a boat hull?  (Read 6902 times)

banjo

Re: How do I draw up plans for a boat hull?
« Reply #25 on: October 24, 2008, 09:12:37 pm »

:}
George..

Not complicated then?

cosmosman

« Reply #26 on: August 29, 2009, 09:48:46 am »

Hi RipSlider,

I use Microstation which is like AutoCad. I could have a look at your sketches and try to put them on CAD.

Greggy1964

« Reply #27 on: September 07, 2009, 08:58:41 pm »

I use a similar idea to George.

I use the white faced fibre board that is used for bedroom wardrobe doors and can be bought from B&Q. I has a hard white face for drawing on in either pencil or fine permanant marker but it take steel dress makers pins if they are held tight in the jaws of pliers and pushed in.

The pins are driven in at station points on your buttock lines and water lines, then you take some piano wire bought at model shops and connect up all your pins at the station points. This creates a fair sweep between the pins. Your pen is taken up and run along the wire drawing a sweet curve. Finer wire for tight curves and thicker wire for long sweeping curves.

The pins are removed and your left with your curve.

The basics of line drawings for a hull are as follows;

On the solid hull in this photo I have drawn the buttock lines, water lines and cross sections. The lines that slice up a hull up horizontally are the water lines, the lines that slice up the hull vertically from stem to stern parallel with the centre line are your buttock lines and the vertical ones that carve up the hull from port to starboard are the cross sections.

If a slice were taken at any of these lines through the hull and its edge viewed, you would see the corresponding lines on the drawings in the photos.

The important thing to remember is that all these lines represent the 3 dimentional hull in two dimensions in the form of profile, plan and sections and at the points on the hull where they all cross represent three dimensional points in space on the surface of the hull.

On the profile, the water lines are straight lines and the buttock lines are curved where as on the plan it is vice versa. A study of the photos will hopefully help you visualise this.

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Page created in 0.081 seconds with 19 queries.