Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Sheds, Damp & Warping  (Read 2714 times)

a3nige

• Full Mayhemer
Sheds, Damp & Warping
« on: June 04, 2008, 09:04:58 pm »

Hi,
I was just wondering how you all went on with your sheds with damp etc. with wood boats? Do they warp? Are there any other problems, i.e. heat drying them out in winter. In my shed (garden stuff only) the temp & humidity vary greatly over the year.
Just a general enquiry but it will be interesting to hear your replies.

Nige
"You're a hard person to ignore, but well worth the effort !"

Shipmate60

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • You bark - I will bite!!!
Re: Sheds, Damp & Warping
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2008, 09:10:07 pm »

My boats live in my garage complete with radio/electronics.
No problems with warping or any other.

Bob
Officially a GOG.

boatmadman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2008, 09:57:34 pm »

Mine live in the garage as well, no problems with them. I think the problems arise when moving into significantly warmer/colder/damper/drier atmospheres.

Ian
if at first you dont succeed.....have a beer.....

GaryM

« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2008, 12:08:34 am »

Hi Nige

I suppose the answer lies with how good is the shed and how you take care of it.
I'm waiting for my new shed; when it comes I will treat the wood again with wood care, seal any holes, then put in ventilation, dehumidifier and some form of heating so I can control it - living in the UK the seasons seem to be getting wetter and my last shed was OK to start with but the damp crept in over a time.  I guess it's down to maintenance.  I thought about lagging it in some way. 
Ian and Bob have their's in there garages, - my garage is away from the house and I could grow rice and fungi in it!

regards
Gary :)

boatmadman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2008, 06:48:00 am »

Gary,
Youe need to be careful with the de humidifier, sudden big changes in humidity, like moving in and out of a dry atmosphere, can cause wood to expand and contract and subsequently crack.

I have seen one used in a house, after a while cracks started appearing at all the joins in the woodwork.

My own rational is that wood being a natural substance should behave ok with natural changes in atmospheric conditions - worked so far for me.

Ian

MCAT

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2008, 08:56:31 am »

Just a note on this subject. I have a Clyde puffer built of wood. I kept it in the spare bedroom over the course of summer,
the wood had dried out. I had numerous leeks took a lot of work to fix . all kept in the shed now no problems.
the house is too dry an  atmosphere for to long.

Wife's happy has well

JohnneyBoy

• Full Mayhemer
    • John's Library
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2008, 09:48:39 am »

Hello,

My Boats are all in the Garage, which has a dehumidifier in it. I'm also lucky that the central heating pipes happen to pass through there as well, although they are lagged it just takes the chill off it. I decided to get a dehumidifier when we moved as the last garage was so damp all my tools corroded!!

John

bogstandard

« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2008, 10:02:21 am »

I think a lot of people don't realise that just sailing your boat can cause wood warping problems.
Ok, if it is a plank on frame, people always seal the inside woodwork and if a different hull material, they seal any engine bearers and battery boxes. What they usually forget is the underside of the deck, because this is fitted after the basic hull is done and dusted.
I always seal under the deck before fitting, usually two or three coats of sanding sealer is enough, and as a security measure I use a permanent marker to put name, date and postcode in a few normally inaccessible areas, you need a mirror on a stick to see them, before sealing.
If you don't seal, all the little drops of water that invariably get inside and can't be mopped up, create a damp atmosphere actually inside your model. Warping and rotting from the inside out, and corroding all your electonic bits. Leaving an air gap by lifting the superstructure during storage can solve most of the problems, but not all.

John

andyn

« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2008, 01:01:59 pm »

All my boats, planes and cars live in the loft, with no problems

Two I.C powered planes used to live in the shed, but one became mouldy so theyre both now in the loft.

cbr900

• Full Mayhemer
  • Mayhem is the Only Forum!
    • Roys Hompage
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2008, 02:42:35 pm »

Never had a dampness problem in my shed, in either house, but then again not a lot of damp conditions in Australia..........

Roy
I try not to be naughty but nautical

GaryM

« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2008, 11:25:34 pm »

Good point Ian - I guess if I keep the shed 'well' looked after, there should be no need for a dehumidifier.

regards

Shipmate60

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • You bark - I will bite!!!
« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2008, 11:35:13 pm »

If the models contain wood then need some moisture.
The furniture  (especially beds) in a centrally heated dry out and shrink quite dramatically.
This causes the frame to squeak as the joints loosen up.
I use beds as an example as bearer furniture usually has seasoned or fully dried wood. Beds don't seem to.
As has been stated before "normal" environmental changes seem OK for wood, (usually), it is the rapid changes brought about by heating, drying that seem to cause the major warping.

Bob
Officially a GOG.

Peter Fitness

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2008, 01:50:44 am »

not a lot of damp conditions in Australia..........
Roy
Maybe not where you are Roy, but here on the far North coast of NSW we've had well over 50 inches of rain so far this year, and we're told it's not done with yet. It's a pity it wouldn't go where it's really needed. As far as problems with my boats go as regards damage from damp, it hasn't been an too much of an issue. They have been locked up in a small shed for over 3 months while we were away, and the only noticeable effect has been a small amount of mildew, which wipes off easily. There has been no problem with warping or similar. It's our sailing day tomorrow, so I'll know for sure once they are put in the water.

Bob, many years ago my sister and her late husband were managing a sheep station in central western Queensland, where the climate is extremely dry. They used to put containers of water under some items of furniture, especially the piano, to keep them from drying out too much.
Peter.

cbr900

• Full Mayhemer
  • Mayhem is the Only Forum!
    • Roys Hompage
« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2008, 02:42:09 am »

Bob,

You are lucky to be testing the bed out to find all the squeaks and creaks, are
you sure it's the bed and not your good self............ {-) {-)

Roy
I try not to be naughty but nautical

boatmadman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2008, 07:58:01 am »

Good ventilation in your shed/garage will also help keep damp away.

Ian

GaryM

« Reply #15 on: June 07, 2008, 01:31:46 pm »

Would putting a few small packets of silica gel crystals in the hull to prevent too much moisture and mildew, when in storage for any length of time; or do you think it would dry it out?
(along with good ventilation in the shed) Just a thought. O0

regards

boatmadman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #16 on: June 07, 2008, 06:06:09 pm »

I would just leave the superstructure off so the hull is open and make sure there is adequate ventilation in the shed/garage.

Ian
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.095 seconds with 21 queries.